Any recommendations for KM instruction in NYC?

christop

White Belt
Reaction score
Hello, im in the Queens area of NY and wanted to know if anyone could recommend any classes in the area. I did a couple of searches and found a few in Manhattan,but thought maybe someone here might know of a Queens location. Thank you for any assistance.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
christop said:
Hello, im in the Queens area of NY and wanted to know if anyone could recommend any classes in the area. I did a couple of searches and found a few in Manhattan,but thought maybe someone here might know of a Queens location. Thank you for any assistance.

http://www.kravmaga.com/newyork.asp

www.kravmagainc.com

This should be a good start for you.

Mike

Grubic

White Belt
Reaction score
Just to let you know the www.kravmagainc.com website might be up or down when you go to it. They are changing servers for their site. Either call them at 212-781-7918 or you can PM me if you have any questions. I was a student there about a year ago and have just recently come back. Let me know if I can help.

cpgrichard

White Belt
Reaction score
These two schools are in Westchester County about 15 minutes and 35 minutes from Northern NYC (Bronx area) respectively:

Steve Sohn's JuJitsu Concepts and Krav Maga Training Center Scarsdale, NY
(located in Scarsdale via Bronx River PKWY - 15 min)

79 Montgomery Ave
Scarsdale, NY 10583
(914) 723-7818

Davide's Yorktown Total Fitness Center and Krav Maga Yorktown Heights, NY

(Located In Yorktown Heights via Bronx River to SprainBrook/Taconic Pkwy 35 min)

1761 Front Street
Yorktown Heights, NY 10598
(914) 302-7392

Friendly instructors with great attitudes, excellent prices, value and training.

Rich

Loki

Black Belt
Reaction score
Definitely Krav Maga Inc. Probably the only professional Krav Maga organization in America. See Grubic's post above for details.

akatrk

White Belt
Reaction score
Any opinions on Sparnyc? Elizabeth Greenman and David Kahn are the instructors there.

EddieC

White Belt
Reaction score
In response to LOKI's post about Krav Maga Inc. in NYC as "the only professional" KM group-- not at all true. In addition to the places in Westchester (Steve Sohn's place in Scarsdale is fantastic), there is also KMLI in Long Island--as professional a KM school as you will ever find. Krav Inc. in NYC operates out of a college space. They do not have a school of their own. Some of their classes are on a racket-ball court which is ridiculous for sound and air-flow. This isn't to say that they don't have some excellent instructors because they do. I received my training in Israel under Eyal Yanilov's teachers, who I consider to be the best in the world.

Guvnor

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
This thread has been going on for some time but this remains a burning question in NYC. I came across this thread while looking for a place myself. I have done a lot of research so here are a few things you might all find helpful.

- European or Israeli quality training in NYC is not easy to find but there are some promising new schools in NYC. IKMF is in my view the most reputable organization in the world with the best quality trainers and up to date methods and techniques. The IKMF (non-profit) have just launched here. I found them on FaceBook (there was no website at the time of writing this)- I think they are called the Krav Maga Institute NYC (facebook.com/kravmaganyc). I train here now. They are very good, no complaints at all.

- KMG don't have instructors in NYC, but they are also quite good. They are a very small in the US and too expensive (it's all about money for them right now as they try to grow).

- There is no KMWW in NYC and they aren't in the same league as the IKMF or KMG anyway.

- Krav Maga Federation was very disappointing and are really out of date now. They have been in NYC the longest but rely on very old techniques that don't change and that are no longer used). The other down side is that they have very old school teaching methods (press ups, very repetitive drills, shouting, egos, belts!). Don't get me wrong, Rhon Mizrahi is a great instructor but his techniques are just too old fashioned and often clumsy (try a horizontal hammer fist with your elbow pointing towards you - it makes no sense). They also won't teach students how to strike until you are at least a yellow belt- why?!

- IKMA are also non existent in NYC at the time of writing this. I went to Hamilton to try then out. This Krav Maga is more MMA. It is not what the Israelis teach and just wasn't for me.

Hope this is helpful.

Spork3245

Orange Belt
Reaction score
- IKMA are also non existent in NYC at the time of writing this. I went to Hamilton to try then out. This Krav Maga is more MMA. It is not what the Israelis teach and just wasn't for me.

This is 100% wrong. Our training is directly from Israel. The IKMA is Imi Lichtenfelds original organization, and is the only organization recognized by the Israeli Government.
When did you come to our HQ in Hamilton?

Guvnor

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I visited your center twice during 2009/2010 when I lived in NJ. I did not mean to suggest your techniques were not from Israel but they seemed quite different to what I experienced from Israeli born instructors during classes I have taken and KMG/IKMF seminars I have attended (such as Eyal Yanilov and Tamir Gilad in Florida among others). For the avoidance of doubt, Israeli Krav Maga in Hamilton was very good, I liked it but it just wasn't for me - we all have preferences based on our age, circumstances and sex. I don't know anything about your organization's history but a quick visit to Wikipedia and google shows that there are a number of Israeli Krav Maga organizations that claim to be the original or the source. I am not interested in the politics in the industry, I just want to share my views and experience in martial arts with others. Most, if not all, the organizations I mentioned were good - yours included. Hope this clears things up for you.

Spork3245

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I visited your center twice during 2009/2010 when I lived in NJ. I did not mean to suggest your techniques were not from Israel but they seemed quite different to what I experienced from Israeli born instructors during classes I have taken and KMG/IKMF seminars I have attended (such as Eyal Yanilov and Tamir Gilad in Florida among others). For the avoidance of doubt, Israeli Krav Maga in Hamilton was very good, I liked it but it just wasn't for me - we all have preferences based on our age, circumstances and sex. I don't know anything about your organization's history but a quick visit to Wikipedia and google shows that there are a number of Israeli Krav Maga organizations that claim to be the original or the source. I am not interested in the politics in the industry, I just want to share my views and experience in martial arts with others. Most, if not all, the organizations I mentioned were good - yours included. Hope this clears things up for you.

The IKMA was founded on October 22, 1978 by Imi Lichtenfeld, Haim Zut, Haim Gidon, Eli Avikzar, Miki Azsuline, Shayke Barak and one other who's name currently escapes me (Not Eyal Yanilov, he was neither a founder, nor one of Imi's first students. He would have been a kid at the time). I do not care what wikipedia says, it is a known fact that anyone can edit wikipedia and things from it should not be presented as fact. No other Krav Maga organizations were created until the mid-1990's, the first being Eli Avikzar's "Krav Magen" organization, the next being Haim Zut's. Darren Levine (Krav Maga World Wide) was certifed in the 1981 instructor course (Along with Alan Feldman, Rick Blitstein, and Mark Rosenberg), and operated his school as an IKMA school for a very long time. Eyal Yanilov does things "differently" from us, he also does things differently than Haim Zut's organization, whether this is good or bad is not for me to decide - Tamir Gilad was trained by Eyal, that is why both were similar "styles".

Here is a document, signed by Imi Lichtenfeld, if you need "proof"; View attachment

It is fine if you did not like our "style", but our style is directly from Israel and is from Imi Lichtenfeld's top living student. Do not present us as MMA

Does this look like MMA to you?

Last edited by a moderator:

Guvnor

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Thank you for replying to this thread. The question in this thread is: can you recommend someone in NYC for Krav Maga. I gave my recommendation - IKMF NYC - based on my experience and I stand by my comments. Politics are an unwelcome distraction to this question. This is not about politics just a common sense recommendation.

With respect, you're right IKMA is old Krav Maga from Israel and the IKMF have changed things. I think we agree that IKMA is different to IKMF Krav Maga. The easiest way of describing the difference for me was that IKMA bears a closer resemblance to MMA techniques than the Krav Maga taught to me by IDF members in Israel and by the IKMF. I have not met an Israeli that has served in the IDF that has taught me what is taught by the IKMA.

That is not to say IKMA techniques are not taught in Israel or that they don’t come from Israel but IKMA methods are definitely far less common these days. That is not to say it is better or worse but IKMA techniques are not widely taught anymore. You can all decide why this is the case between you.

I am a retired physician from Columbia University Medical Centre with over 27 years of martial arts experience - I am not a Krav Maga expert or instructor – but I have studied JKD, Jujitsu, BJJ and now Krav Maga for some time now. My son and I practice Krav Maga when time permits because it is by far the most practical form of self-defense out there. I have no interest in a discussion on politics or who came first. I was asked for a recommendation so I gave one. IKMF was well taught, professional, easy to learn, practical, effective and enjoyable. IKMA was also but if I had to recommend one, I would go with the IKMF, no question.

I have tried the various options out there and have given my honest view of what's available. It is not helpful or truthful to correlate the age of an organization with it's quality. Nor is it helpful to suggest Eyal Yanilov and Avi Moyal are not as qualified as the IKMA because they are part of a newer Israeli organization. IKMA was Imi's first organization in Israel (which I believe was splintering anyway), IKMF was, I believe, started in the 90s to spread Krav Maga abroad with Imi’s approval (he was old by then). That's what my research tells me but I am not an expert. But honestly, who cares?

The IKMF has been more successful than the IKMA internationally. Eyal and Avi are the most in demand trainers in the world. Their success is down to the quality of their training methods and their product, period. David Kahn and Rhon Mizrahi have also been incredibly successful and this is because they are also excellent world class trainers. Which you prefer is up to you. My decision to go with the IKMF and not the IKMA or Rhon Mizrahi was because the IKMF had more in common with what I was taught before by Israelis. I particularly liked the supportive learning environment, the logical and practical explanations offered by my instructors, it was enjoyable, effective and easy to remember and learn.

IKMA, Rhon Mizrahi and IKMF are like the Gracies – different branches on the same tree. There is no sense or merit in talking down one over the other. I am not sure it needs to be more complicated than this. Politics will ruin Krav Maga if you're not careful. That is not what Imi would have wanted.

Something fun I have found on the internet that shows the appeal of Krav Maga: http://youtu.be/WIWI5kmulRA

Guvnor

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
The IKMA was founded on October 22, 1978 by Imi Lichtenfeld, Haim Zut, Haim Gidon, Eli Avikzar, Miki Azsuline, Shayke Barak and one other who's name currently escapes me (Not Eyal Yanilov, he was neither a founder, nor one of Imi's first students. He would have been a kid at the time). I do not care what wikipedia says, it is a known fact that anyone can edit wikipedia and things from it should not be presented as fact. No other Krav Maga organizations were created until the mid-1990's, the first being Eli Avikzar's "Krav Magen" organization, the next being Haim Zut's. Darren Levine (Krav Maga World Wide) was certifed in the 1981 instructor course (Along with Alan Feldman, Rick Blitstein, and Mark Rosenberg), and operated his school as an IKMA school for a very long time. Eyal Yanilov does things "differently" from us, he also does things differently than Haim Zut's organization, whether this is good or bad is not for me to decide - Tamir Gilad was trained by Eyal, that is why both were similar "styles".

Here is a document, signed by Imi Lichtenfeld, if you need "proof"; View attachment 15390

It is fine if you did not like our "style", but our style is directly from Israel and is from Imi Lichtenfeld's top living student. Do not present us as MMA

Does this look like MMA to you?

Thank you for replying to this thread. The question in this thread is: can you recommend someone in NYC for Krav Maga. I gave my recommendation - IKMF NYC - based on my experience and I stand by my comments. Politics are an unwelcome distraction to this question. This is not about politics just a common sense recommendation.

With respect, you're right IKMA is old Krav Maga from Israel and the IKMF have changed things. I think we agree that IKMA is different to IKMF Krav Maga. The easiest way of describing the difference for me was that IKMA bears a closer resemblance to MMA techniques than the Krav Maga taught to me by IDF members in Israel and by the IKMF. I have not met an Israeli that has served in the IDF that has taught me what is taught by the IKMA.

That is not to say IKMA techniques are not taught in Israel or that they don’t come from Israel but IKMA methods are definitely far less common these days. That is not to say it is better or worse but IKMA techniques are not widely taught anymore. You can all decide why this is the case between you.

I am a retired physician from Columbia University Medical Centre with over 27 years of martial arts experience - I am not a Krav Maga expert or instructor – but I have studied JKD, Jujitsu, BJJ and now Krav Maga for some time now. My son and I practice Krav Maga when time permits because it is by far the most practical form of self-defense out there. I have no interest in a discussion on politics or who came first. I was asked for a recommendation so I gave one. IKMF was well taught, professional, easy to learn, practical, effective and enjoyable. IKMA was also but if I had to recommend one, I would go with the IKMF, no question.

I have tried the various options out there and have given my honest view of what's available. It is not helpful or truthful to correlate the age of an organization with it's quality. Nor is it helpful to suggest Eyal Yanilov and Avi Moyal are not as qualified as the IKMA because they are part of a newer Israeli organization. IKMA was Imi's first organization in Israel (which I believe was splintering anyway), IKMF was, I believe, started in the 90s to spread Krav Maga abroad with Imi’s approval (he was old by then). That's what my research tells me but I am not an expert. But honestly, who cares?

The IKMF has been more successful than the IKMA internationally. Eyal and Avi are the most in demand trainers in the world. Their success is down to the quality of their training methods and their product, period. David Kahn and Rhon Mizrahi have also been incredibly successful and this is because they are also excellent world class trainers. Which you prefer is up to you. My decision to go with the IKMF and not the IKMA or Rhon Mizrahi was because the IKMF had more in common with what I was taught before by Israelis. I particularly liked the supportive learning environment, the logical and practical explanations offered by my instructors, it was enjoyable, effective and easy to remember and learn.

IKMA, Rhon Mizrahi and IKMF are like the Gracies – different branches on the same tree. There is no sense or merit in talking down one over the other. I am not sure it needs to be more complicated than this. Politics will ruin Krav Maga if you're not careful. That is not what Imi would have wanted.

Something fun I have found on the internet that shows the appeal of Krav Maga:

Last edited by a moderator:

Spork3245

Orange Belt
Reaction score

Politics are not the premise of my reply. It's your misleading representation of what we do to "MMA". We are not MMA. Do they gouge eyes in MMA? Do they kick the groin in MMA? If anyone is turning this into politics, it is you.

What has the IKMF changed from Imi? The answer is nothing, but please go on and enlighten me to their system-changes. In Israel, everyone serves in the IDF, it is mandatory conscription. However, unless it is a specialized field they are going into, they only receive ~2 weeks of training in Krav Maga, and it is also extremely basic. I, however, have been trained by Sgt. Mjr. Nir Maman, and am certified under his "CT 707 Krav Maga" system. Nir was the chief Krav Maga/Counter-Terror/Fire-Arms instructor for the Sayeret Golani forces up until 2009 when he "retired" from active-duty to reserves, and also received "Solider of the Year 2009" for the IDF ground forces; I can speak from experience and say that true IDF Krav Maga is nothing like IKMF, IKMA, KMF, KMWW, KMA, etc, so you are not being taught what the IDF is being taught, regardless of what your instructors claim.
Furthermore, IKMA is not "old" Krav Maga, Haim Gidon has worked relentlessly to update our techniques and tactics for the ever-changing world. For instance, we are the only system with a true street-based ground-system, among many other innovations that Grand Master Haim has made to our system. Haim Gidon was chosen to be the next Grand Master by Imi for a reason; Not Eyal, not Zut, but Haim Gidon.
Again, it is fine if you like your system, but do not talk down about my organization or question it's ability on the street. MMA is for competition, we do not fight in rings.

You have little understanding of what you are talking about. IKMF-curriculum is taught at IKMF schools, KMF-curriculum is taught at KMF schools, KMWW-curriculum is taught at KMWW schools, IKMA-curriculum is taught at IKMA schools. No where else. Again, you are not leaning what the IDF learns, their "system" as changed the most out of anyones, and is not ment for civiliians in any sense.

That is fine, again, you are entitled to your opinion and I'll respect that. However, I am not the one turning this into politics. You said that the IKMA resembled MMA, I corrected you and also mentioned that the IKMA was the original organization, you questioned this fact saying that " I don't know anything about your organization's history but a quick visit to Wikipedia and google shows that there are a number of Israeli Krav Maga organizations that claim to be the original or the source.", I, again, corrected you, as I cannot abide by historical inaccuracies.

I have tried the various options out there and have given my honest view of what's available. It is not helpful or truthful to correlate the age of an organization with it's quality. Nor is it helpful to suggest Eyal Yanilov and Avi Moyal are not as qualified as the IKMA because they are part of a newer Israeli organization.

I never suggested, said, implied, etc, any of this. Do not puts words in my mouth. The IKMF is a fine organization, and Avi Moyal is a fine instructor.

Again, this is your preference and that is fine. However, it behooves me to mention that the size of a particular company, or being better at business, does not mean you are better quality. For instance, I'd take a coffee from the mom & pop cafe down the road from me over starbucks, however, that does not mean that starbucks isn't good.

I have not talked down a single organization, I've only stated facts. I'm sorry if you've taken any of my comments with a derogatory-nature. You, however, were the one to talk the IKMA "down" by comparing us to "MMA", which goes against everything we stand for, and are.

Latest Discussions