Any female masters?

lonecoyote

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Are there any female masters? Any females that founded their own systems? Why or why not?

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
lonecoyote said:
Are there any female masters? Any females that founded their own systems? Why or why not?
Yep...
Pretty sure...
Dunno... might wanna ask the ones that are living & research the ones that aren't...

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The woods of Marin County, California, USA
The question of who is a martial arts master is pretty subjective, don't ya think? What about well-respected female instructors and coaches?

I don't know if there are any women who have founded their own martial arts systems, but I wouldn't be surprised if there's at least one that has tried.

Edit: There is the story of the founder of Wing Chun, but it's debatable how true it may be. http://www.wingchun.org/txt/misc/history.html

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Is there any truth to Wing Chun being mostly created by a female? It was a rumor I heard, but wasn't sure as I know very little, if at all, about Wing Chun.

- Ceicei

KungFuWarrior

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
lonecoyote said:

Yes there is. Tuhon Gaudiosa Ruby is the founder of Comjuka-Kali and the Filipino Martial Arts Hall of Fame. As far as I know the she is first female to ever reach the rank of Tuhon in Filipino Martial Arts.. I'm proud to say that she is part of my schools lineage and I will be attending one of here seminars on the 14th of may. The last picture on the Hall of fame page is a picture of my teacher. :asian:

Tuhon Ruby's website: http://www.comjuka.com/indexmain.htm

Adam

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
KungFuWarrior said:
Yes there is. Tuhon Gaudiosa Ruby is the founder of Comjuka-Kali and the Filipino Martial Arts Hall of Fame. As far as I know the she is first female to ever reach the rank of Tuhon in Filipino Martial Arts.. I'm proud to say that she is part of my schools lineage and I will be attending one of here seminars on the 14th of may. The last picture on the Hall of fame page is a picture of my teacher. :asian:

Tuhon Ruby's website: http://www.comjuka.com/indexmain.htm

Adam
I was going to post the same link to Tuhon Ruby's site. Can't make the seminar on the 14th. Were you at the IKAA seminar last month? The picture right above your teacher is my teacher.

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
They've never 'founded their own system' or anything, but in the AKKI we're quite proud of these two ladies:
Lori Holgate, 5th degree Black Belt, AKKI Kenpo
as well as...
Kathy J. Owen, 7th degree Black Belt, AKKI Kenpo
Marlene S. Shear, 6th degree Black Belt, AKKI Kenpo

Here's from their (Kathy & Marlene's) site:
http://www.delawarekenpo.com/homepage9.htm

They have an awesome school as well. Check out their web-site!!

Besides, all three ladies are just plain good people!

Your Brother
John

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ceicei said:
Is there any truth to Wing Chun being mostly created by a female? It was a rumor I heard, but wasn't sure as I know very little, if at all, about Wing Chun.

- Ceicei
Yes, that's the story I was always told. Wing-Chun Kung-fu was founded by a woman.

Interesting story, from what I recall.

Your Brother
John

beauty_in_the_sai

Green Belt
Reaction score
I've heard a female founded wing chun. I'm no master, but I hope to become on someday and I have founded my own style though I doubt I'm going to teach it.

masherdong

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I wouldnt know. But, I heard the same thing everyone else has been posting about Wing Chun was started by a woman. Not sure though.

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
Wing Chun was an obscure and little known art until the mid twentieth
century. While multiple histories of the art do exist (some with only
minor discrepancies), the generally accepted version is thus:

he style traces its roots back over 250 years ago to the Southern
Shaolin Temple. At that time, the temple a was sanctuary to the
Chinese revolution that was trying to overthrow the ruling Manchu. A
classical martial arts system was taught in the temple which took
15-20 years to produce an efficient fighter.

Realizing they needed to produce efficent fighters at a faster pace,
five of China's grandmasters met to discuss the merits of each of the
various forms of gongfu. They chose the most efficient techniques,
theories and principles from the various styles and proceeded to
develop a training program that produced an efficent fighter in 5-7
years.

Before the program was put into practice, the Southern temple was
raided and destroyed. A lone nun, Ng Mui, was the only survivor who
knew the full system. She wandered the countryside, finally taking in
a young orphan girl and training her in the system. She named the
girl Yimm Wing Chun (which has been translated to mean Beautiful
Springtime, or Hope for the Future), and the two women set out
refining the system.

The system was passed down through the years, and eventually became
known as Wing Chun, in honor of the founder. The veil of secrecy
around the art was finally broken in the early 1950's when Grandmaster
Yip Man began teaching publicly in Hong Kong, and his students began
gaining noteriety for besting many systems and experienced opponents
in streetfights and "friendly" competitions. The art enjoyed even
more popularity when one of its students, Bruce Lee, began to enjoy
world wide fame.
This I cut and pasted directly from the "Wing Chun" section here on MT. ((Thought it the logical place to look)) This was the opening of the Wing-Chun FAQ.
From the way it sounds, TWO women were responsible for the birth of what was later called "Wing-Chun".

Your Brother
John

KungFuWarrior

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Sil Lum TigerLady said:
I was going to post the same link to Tuhon Ruby's site. Can't make the seminar on the 14th. Were you at the IKAA seminar last month? The picture right above your teacher is my teacher.

Hey good to see another IKAA member here you are the 3rd or 4th one that Ive ran into on the boards, small world after all I guess. I didn't make it to the IKAA seminar this year I had so much stuff going on that I couldn't make it to both seminars so since I went to IKAA last year I figured I would go to Tuhon Ruby's this year. I've never been to one of her seminars, but I've heard that they are great. Have you ever been to one of her seminars? What can I expect?

Adam

TallAdam85

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
WELL Wing Chung From what I heard from a friend of mine who is sifu said that they where putting all the main 5 animal style move together and the shaloin village was burned down only one to live was a little girl who then passed on the moves . I just repeating what I heard.

But woman masters are rare if you think about it how many woman are in karate then think how many are black belts just keeps going down in size but I have seen a few woman master And a few woman grandmasters at tournaments

BlackCatBonz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
about the origins of wing chun:
Prior to the destruction of the Shaolin Temples, a comprehensive and high level martial art system was developed which was formulated through multiple generations of Shaolin knowledge and experience. The Hung Fa Yi Kuen lineage believes the ultimate goal was to create a new system which could be used to defeat the classical styles. In pursuit of that goal, the elders shared their most advanced principles and strategies and work began on the new style. This martial art system latter became known as Wing Chun, named after the Wing Chun Tong {Everlasting Spring Hall} in the Shaolin Temple. As with all high level Shaolin knowledge, this new art was conducted under secrecy, a "Silent Code". In order to hide the new revolutionary fighting art's identity and origin, a fictional person named Yim Wing Chun and story were created to cover up the original nature of the art.
After the destruction of the Shaolin Temple and its Wing Chun Tong, the character of Wing used for this new art was changed from "Wing" meaning "always, perpetual, or everlasting" to "Wing" meaning "to recite, sing, praise, or chant." Chan Buddhism is based on oral communication to pass on its teachings. The character "Chun" meaning "spring, a time of new growth", stayed the same. The Han nation was seen by many as the spring of Chinese culture. By changing the characters, the Ming loyalists were reminded to pass on the tradition and secrets orally while working to rebuild the Ming government. The Chinese word "Yim" means "to prohibit or secret". By adding Yim to Wing Chun, the meaning was "to be discrete, secret, and pass on the revolutionary art orally". To insure that the art was not abused or to fall into the wrong hands, it was never documented.

there are many other web references to this story.....but i cannot think of them off hand. read the full story at
http://home.vtmuseum.org/articles/meng/hungfayi.php

ChineseKempoJerry

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
My Nephew takes Jung SuWon from Master Kim. She is a Korean Master that has created her own system and is recognized in Korea as the highest ranking female and Master in South Korea.

My hat is off to her as she truly is inspiring. She writes a monthly article in Tae Kwon Do times and does inspirational speaking on the side.

Latest Discussions