How do you keep your wavemaster from sliding all over the garage?

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
You might try a rubber mat under the bag.

Mike

dsp921

Green Belt
Reaction score
Century has a bag that fits over the base that has a skid resistant bottom, but at $35.00, you might be better off with a rubber mat. I'd think a door mat or a shower mat for a few bucks at Wal-Mart would do it.
On the other hand, I like mine moving around, it forces me to adjust. I could see a garage floor creating too much movement though.

R

rmcpeek

I use a rubber matt beneath mine. It still moves some, but not nearly as much as it did when there was nothing under it.

dubljay

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A rubber mat should do the trick. My problem is knocking the thing over. I'm considering filling it full of lead shot for more weight, because water isn't enough. Anyone use something besides water?

R

rmcpeek

Yes. Mine are filled with sand. I still knock 'em over as much as I did when I had them filled with water though.

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Get a hanging bag...

Sorry, not exactly helpful but I'm not the biggest fan of freestanding bags...I don't like the way the weight reacts...although the BOB bags can be fun...

dubljay

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
bignick said:
Get a hanging bag...

Sorry, not exactly helpful but I'm not the biggest fan of freestanding bags...I don't like the way the weight reacts...although the BOB bags can be fun...

I would love to get a hanging bag.... money isnt the issue.... hanging it is. I have no where to hang it. I helped a friend build a rack for his hanging bag, but after about 8 months of heavy use it fell apart. (It was made of pressure treated 2X4s and 4X4's with stainless steel 3/8" carriage bolts) I would construct one out of steel (yes I can weld) but I lack the funds for both a heavy bag and the materials for the stand.

OP
SwedishChef

SwedishChef

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for the ideas. I'd get a hanging bag but we're in the process of buying a house right now and the garage has a regular ceiling without rafter beams to hang things from. If I figure out a way to do it I will. I like water for the wavemaster because you can just empty it in the driveway when you move and its good to go.

T

TonyM.

Those cheap braided cord rugs work pretty well, unless the floor is tiled, and then your just, well you know. I bought aquarium salt and mixed it three pounds to every gallon of water.(seawater) Easier to get in and out than sand or pellets.

Sam

Senior Master
Reaction score
you know, you always could fill up the bottom with cement and just wait for it to harden...:boing1:

whats the difference between sea water and regular water? how would salt make it harder to knock over?

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Bolt it to a small sheet of plywood. Anchor the plywood to the cement. Use a anchorage that allows you to remove/unbolt the whole thing...

dsp921

Green Belt
Reaction score
Samantha said:
whats the difference between sea water and regular water? how would salt make it harder to knock over?
I was going to ask the same thing, fresh water weighs 8.3lbs/gallon and sea water weighs about 8.5lb/gallon (actual weight depends on temp and amount of salt). Doesn't seem like a big enough difference to matter. Is there another benefit to adding the salt?

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Only thing you need to be aware of is salt is corrosive. It will eventually leech the plastic. Better to use regular water than salt water if you want the wavemaster to last longer. It is possible, though, that the wear and tear on the wavemaster from working out on it may occur sooner than the damage from the salt, so the issue of using salt water may be a moot point anyway.

- Ceicei

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Another thoght, if the base touching the floor is plastic, from the constant sliding, wouldn't it wear and fail?

dubljay

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
47MartialMan said:
Another thoght, if the base touching the floor is plastic, from the constant sliding, wouldn't it wear and fail?
Realistically only if the finish on the floor is rough. The paving of the garage is most likely smooth so that there is not much friction between the base and the floor. However there could be a question of the cement leaching the plastich (as it can do to rubber tires) causeing the base to crack prematurely.

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
dubljay said:
Realistically only if the finish on the floor is rough. The paving of the garage is most likely smooth so that there is not much friction between the base and the floor. However there could be a question of the cement leaching the plastich (as it can do to rubber tires) causeing the base to crack prematurely.
But such a friction from a weaker/softer surface to a much harder one, no matter how smooth, via friction can wear.

The main point, is to steadfast the base to limit possible movement. But it has to be done so that this anchorage or immobilzation, cannot have a weakeing effect on the equipment.

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
One thing to consider with Wavemasters before you stick them fast to the ground is, there's no give in the center support. If you keep the WM from rocking at all, you're probably going to shorten its lifespan signifigantly.

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Marginal said:
One thing to consider with Wavemasters before you stick them fast to the ground is, there's no give in the center support. If you keep the WM from rocking at all, you're probably going to shorten its lifespan signifigantly.
Hmmn, that is interesting. never thought of that.

Perhaos its designers never thought of anyone placing it on a hard surface verses a soft one like carpeting or matting.

Besides, why would they want to have something last so long?

Latest Discussions