Anxiety attacks

Ric Flair

Green Belt
Reaction score
Any W.C artist here suffer from crowd anxiety or fear of closed spaces???

How about the feeling of being trapped on a crowded bus or subway. What symptoms do you guys feel and how do you deal with such dreadful experiences???

ed-swckf

Black Belt
Reaction score
Some anxiety with crowds along the lines of glossophobia here.

OP
R

Ric Flair

Green Belt
Reaction score
Alright, and how do you deal with it on a day to day basis??? As a Wing Chun artist, do you find it very uncomfortable to have so many people within your personal space in places like say a crowded bus/train??? Wing Chun was created so we can often adapt to such close contact within reach of other people however, i'm pretty sure this can be challenging for people like us...

accelerated heartbeat, problems breathing deeply or regularly, tightening of body, stiffness and pointed shoulders, etc etc.

ed-swckf

Black Belt
Reaction score
Ric Flair said:
Alright, and how do you deal with it on a day to day basis???

feel the fear and do it anyway.

Ric Flair said:
As a Wing Chun artist, do you find it very uncomfortable to have so many people within your personal space in places like say a crowded bus/train???

not particularly, theres no scrutiny.

Ric Flair said:
Wing Chun was created so we can often adapt to such close contact within reach of other people however, i'm pretty sure this can be challenging for people like us...

not particularly

Ric Flair said:
accelerated heartbeat, problems breathing deeply or regularly, tightening of body, stiffness and pointed shoulders, etc etc.

more like nervousness, shaky voice, sweats, dry mouth and throat, blushing, and faster heart rate.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I would think that any closeness phobias someone might have wouldn't be a result of training in a system like wing chun, or any other martial system for that matter. If you have closeness phobias, I bet it stems from something else.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Flying Crane said:
I would think that any closeness phobias someone might have wouldn't be a result of training in a system like wing chun, or any other martial system for that matter. If you have closeness phobias, I bet it stems from something else.
I would have to agree.
If your martial art causes you mental illness..change arts?!?
I don't think this is caused by martial arts ... and I'm a bit surprised at this response. :confused:

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ric Flair said:
Any W.C artist here suffer from crowd anxiety or fear of closed spaces???

How about the feeling of being trapped on a crowded bus or subway. What symptoms do you guys feel and how do you deal with such dreadful experiences???

Behavioral Therapy has been successful in treating phobias. I would speak with your doctor about options for dealing with this. As others have mentioned, it probably does not stem directly from your martial arts training. I have a phobia about driving in the mountains, over high bridges and on levee roads so I understand the feeling.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
shesulsa said:
I don't think this is caused by martial arts ... and I'm a bit surprised at this response. :confused:

I read the original poster's posts and their presence here in the Wing Chun forum to mean that because of Wing Chun's emphasis on close-in fighting and protecting one's contained space, that it makes a Wing Chun player especially nervous to have people too close (within the space they are trained to protect); e.g., "As a Wing Chun artist, do you find it very uncomfortable to have so many people within your personal space" rather than "As a person with claustrophobia/agoraphobia, do you find it very uncomfortable to have so many people within your personal space" which might indicate a focus on a disease rather than training. If the suggestion is that Wing Chun training may create this type of reaction in a practitioner, then I would say the training is, on balance, dysfunctional; if that is not the suggestion, then I do not think I follow the thrust of the posts.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Jonathan Randall said:
I have a phobia about driving in the mountains, over high bridges and on levee roads

I've never liked driving over high bridges, though not to phobic levels.

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
arnisador said:
I read the original poster's posts and their presence here in the Wing Chun forum to mean that because of Wing Chun's emphasis on close-in fighting and protecting one's contained space, that it makes a Wing Chun player especially nervous to have people too close (within the space they are trained to protect); e.g., "As a Wing Chun artist, do you find it very uncomfortable to have so many people within your personal space" rather than "As a person with claustrophobia/agoraphobia, do you find it very uncomfortable to have so many people within your personal space" which might indicate a focus on a disease rather than training. If the suggestion is that Wing Chun training may create this type of reaction in a practitioner, then I would say the training is, on balance, dysfunctional; if that is not the suggestion, then I do not think I follow the thrust of the posts.

Then I share your confusion. Perhaps the Wing Chun training is exacerbating an already present condition?

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Jonathan Randall said:
Then I share your confusion. Perhaps the Wing Chun training is exacerbating an already present condition?

If anything, I would think that something like Wing Chun might help someone better cope with a closeness phobia, since its techniques and training are done at a close range. I would think that it would help you get used to being in a close space with other people. However, if the phobia exists for other reasons, then yes, it might be difficult to train in wing chun.

Latest Discussions