another 'what should I ask?' at this school thread

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Looks like Jook Lum Praying Mantis starts Tuesday :)

Rock on!!!!! I really think you'll like it. It's nothing like you've done before & three of the seniors here in the US (Gin Foon Mark, Louie Jack Man, Henry Poo Yee) are all up in age a bit but still teach (LJM is in Philly) & move with no problems. It's not taiji but a long shot, but it doesn't have a lot of the strenuous physical requirements like say Northern Shaolin.

OP
jim777

jim777

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm psyched to go :) No commercial school nonsense, uniforms, tests, they don't sell anything....just training. I'm hoping this is the one, but I'll go for a while anyway regardless.

Tensei85

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm psyched to go :) No commercial school nonsense, uniforms, tests, they don't sell anything....just training. I'm hoping this is the one, but I'll go for a while anyway regardless.

Agreed, that was a big turn off for me personally. Just training and nothing else, now that's great!

blindsage

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Awesome Jim! Jook Lum is different, but based on your interests I think you'll like it. Glad our efforts could be of some help.

OP
jim777

jim777

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Agreed, that was a big turn off for me personally. Just training and nothing else, now that's great!

Agreed. What annoys me is when I'm told I can't test because the instructors don't want to test too many people at once and I tested at the last test (I was actually told exactly this a few weeks ago). Not because I'm desperate for promotion, but because like a lot of schools with belt systems they won't teach you past your belt rank. So, I'm currently stuck until at least next March (the next test) with no chance of learning anything new in my TKD class, because I tested earlier this year. That sort of thing annoys me greatly. I'd rather master and move on at the pace at which I can absorb and learn, than master, wait until test time to prove you've mastered it, then move on again. How much new material you can learn before you can learn any more is pretty clearly defined in most karate/tkd schools by the belt ranking system. So, I'm really REALLY looking forward to losing the ranking system, or at least making it seem like its gone. I'm more than happy to have my instructor determine when its time for me to learn something new by my shown ability and diligence, and not by what it says on the calendar. :)

Tensei85

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Agreed. What annoys me is when I'm told I can't test because the instructors don't want to test too many people at once and I tested at the last test (I was actually told exactly this a few weeks ago). Not because I'm desperate for promotion, but because like a lot of schools with belt systems they won't teach you past your belt rank. So, I'm currently stuck until at least next March (the next test) with no chance of learning anything new in my TKD class, because I tested earlier this year. That sort of thing annoys me greatly. I'd rather master and move on at the pace at which I can absorb and learn, than master, wait until test time to prove you've mastered it, then move on again. How much new material you can learn before you can learn any more is pretty clearly defined in most karate/tkd schools by the belt ranking system. So, I'm really REALLY looking forward to losing the ranking system, or at least making it seem like its gone. I'm more than happy to have my instructor determine when its time for me to learn something new by my shown ability and diligence, and not by what it says on the calendar. :)

I hear ya, there are pro's to the ranking system. But I'm just as happy with out it lol.

OP
jim777

jim777

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Very different. To start, it is much more informal than my TKD training, which is more informal than my Seido training. There is only one other student besides myself. The instructor, Dr. Eisen, is an older man - I would guess he's in his 90's. I learned a few stances, and some stretching exercises, so I've been practicing them diligiently. I like it, but it will take me a little time to get used to it :)

It really is like night and day from what I've done before, but the 'one on one' is very cool. I do wonder what kind of sparring there might ever be, but I'm pretty far away from knowing all the prerequistes for that so I'm not worried, just curious. It's Tuesdays and Thursdays, so that fits for me as well. So, so far so good!

Latest Discussions