Another video

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
And what kind of impression did you have about taekwondo after seeing the vid?

As for me, if I were looking for a martial art and that vid was the first thing I saw about taekwondo, I would surely never take it. If I were looking for a playful activity to get fitter or loose weight, or to put my kids on to spend their energy... that would be probably more interesting than say... Okinawan karate.

But how does taekwondo wants to be seen? It can be argued that both aspects are possible, but I'm sure one aspect diminishes the confidence outside people put in the other -- or just completely ruins that confidence.

Enviado de meu GT-I9300 usando Tapatalk

I looked up their system to see if they spar any good. In the dance they don't seem to be physical or technical slouches. There are a lot of demos that take themselves seriously. And I wind up shaking my head thinking you can't really do that.

Those are the systems I avoid.

Eg. This is not a good look for a system.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dNLrxp459gc

Last edited:
OP
T

TKDTony2179

Blue Belt
Reaction score
However, when it comes to sparring. Is not wtf full contact and itf pulls punches?

I can't speak on for the ITF but from what I have seen in vids and written online that yes ITF is semi-contact(pull punches) and WTF is full contact. But I have also seen vids where ITF have knocked each other out with spin hooks and toronado kicks before. I have seen the pro league online. But that is all I know of.

OP
T

TKDTony2179

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I looked up their system to see if they spar any good. In the dance they don't seem to be physical or technical slouches. There are a lot of demos that take themselves seriously. And I wind up shaking my head thinking you can't really do that.

Those are the systems I avoid.

Eg. This is not a good look for a system.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dNLrxp459gc

Yea, I saw that one a long time ago and I don't think that would happen in real time. Especially with a high level wrestler or mma person.

I once had someone pretend to say "Oh, I will run in and just body slam Tony", since they knew I was a black belt. He pretty much did the same thing in the video and I just step to the side, place hand out on his head, and bout kneed him in the face. I guess I just need to learn how to sprawl huh?

Latest Discussions