Another video

Archtkd

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Kukikwon at it again. Promoting TKD as a dance art. Starting to think this part of their culture. To turn a martial art into display art.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiCbuGla3Y4&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Folks are taking this stuff too seriously. Dancing and singing have been part of warrior traditions for zilllions of years? Isn't that what's done in a drunken stupor after destroying the enemy and pillaging the villages and hamlets. What's hidden from that video are the kegs.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
That was pretty cool.

( still humming open tkd style)

Metal

Green Belt
Reaction score
Kukikwon at it again. Promoting TKD as a dance art.

LOL - that Taekwon Style video had already gone viral more than a year ago. So why complain about it now? ;-)

The biggest export goods of South Korea are electronics, cars, K-Pop and Taekwondo. So why not combine two of them? ;-)
Everybody who thinks that a parody video like this is forshadowing further dilusion of Taekwondo should relax a little.

I'm not a big fan of the whole Taekwon-Dance stuff and also a was heavily sceptical towards creative Poomsae (yet I gotta say that the WTF came up with a great set of rules and guidelines for creative poomsae and I liked the ones that I've seen so far). Yet it's good if it attracts more people to Taekwondo.

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Unclench. Martial artists sometimes take themselves way too seriously. I've participated in Taekwondo displays featuring dance and had great fun. In fact, it takes a lot of work and dedication to get synchron to work in a large team.

And, before you might go there, being able to perform this aspect of Taekwondo does not indicate, cause or relate to lack of competence in any other aspect.

Taekwondo is a leisure activity as well as a martial art. It should be fun as well as hard work.

Gnarlie

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score

Archtkd

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Unclench. Martial artists sometimes take themselves way too seriously. I've participated in Taekwondo displays featuring dance and had great fun. In fact, it takes a lot of work and dedication to get synchron to work in a large team.

And, before you might go there, being able to perform this aspect of Taekwondo does not indicate, cause or relate to lack of competence in any other aspect.

Taekwondo is a leisure activity as well as a martial art. It should be fun as well as hard work.

Gnarlie

Quite true. We are a failry old school hardcore dojang, but one of the first questions I aki many adults who have great difficulty with basic footwork and moving their hips ( important things in almost every striking and kicking taekwondo technique) is whether they dance. You can guess what the answer is 95 percent of the time for those folks.

Gwai Lo Dan

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Definitely not for me.

However, I did find the shoulder counter-rotation on the spinning hook kick at 0:29 to be fascinating. I'd never seen that before, and it seems to me that the same effect would be easier to achieve by dropping the lower arm. (But I posted a questions on dropping the lower arm before, so I don't mean to reopen that issue).

So given that I learnt 1 thing, it was worth my while to watch it.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
And yet you bow at the start and end of every class, shake hands with both hands, and use Korean terminology to describe the art you practise.

Gnarlie

You don't see a difference between respect and courtesy and dancing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

Master Dan

Master Black Belt
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think its great this is why you have 15,000 competing in Hanmadang in Korea everyone forgets that Martial Art is two words the Art is what gives beauty meaning and the ability to fool ones opponent we used to say if you can't dance you can't fight because you have no rhythm?? thanks for the post

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
You don't see a difference between respect and courtesy and dancing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

Of course, that's why I included language too. It's not just Korean courtesy that we adopt, it's Korean culture: patterns of movements reflecting Korean philosophical thought and famous Korean historical and mythical figures; Language; Tenets.

Why exclude part of Korean culture just because it doesn't meet your personal paradigm of what a martial art should be about?

If you don't believe in adopting Korean culture, why adopt their ways of showing respect? Western culture has more than enough of its own politeness forms...

Gnarlie

chrispillertkd

Senior Master
Reaction score
And yet you bow at the start and end of every class, shake hands with both hands, and use Korean terminology to describe the art you practise.

Gnarlie

But I don't "see the link" between dance and Taekwondo, which is what you were talking about in post #7 when you said: "Dance is part of Korean culture. Taekwondo is Korean. See the link?" I don't see the link and other than pointing out two things that are present in Korean culture you haven't yourself demonstrated any link (as far as I can see).

If people want to dance while they do Taekwondo they certainly can. It doesn't mean other people have to enjoy it or be told to "unclench" (which I found extremely rude). If simply not thinking like you do is to be guilty of "taking [oneself] too seriously" then perhaps you are the one who needs to "unclench."

Pax,

Chris

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
But I don't "see the link" between dance and Taekwondo, which is what you were talking about in post #7 when you said: "Dance is part of Korean culture. Taekwondo is Korean. See the link?" I don't see the link and other than pointing out two things that are present in Korean culture you haven't yourself demonstrated any link (as far as I can see).

Taekwondo is sharing of cultures in all directions, making one world culture. Here's the thing: Korean culture features dance; Other cultures feature dance. Dance is a common thread by which cultures are easily linked and shared, rather than one culture completely adopting the other.

If people want to dance while they do Taekwondo they certainly can. It doesn't mean other people have to enjoy it or be told to "unclench" (which I found extremely rude). If simply not thinking like you do is to be guilty of "taking [oneself] too seriously" then perhaps you are the one who needs to "unclench."

Pax,

Chris

To be fair, you hadn't even commented in the thread at that point, so my comment cannot have been addressing you directly. If you are offended by it then I am sorry you feel that way, but if you want to go through life looking for reasons to be offended, then I am sure you will find them. Even if you are offended, that doesn't mean you are right. The comment was intended to be a lighthearted poke at po-faced martial artists, and guess what happened?

All people are entitled to think what they like, what they think will not change the truth of what Taekwondo is: cultural exchange between Korea and other cultures.

chrispillertkd

Senior Master
Reaction score
Taekwondo is sharing of cultures in all directions, making one world culture. Here's the thing: Korean culture features dance; Other cultures feature dance. Dance is a common thread by which cultures are easily linked and shared, rather than one culture completely adopting the other.

If people wanted to "[make] one world culture" (and I'm not sure what that means) it would seemingly be better just to do it through dance, since that is much more widespread than Taekwondo is or ever will be. But even if that were attempted there would still be people who would find the type of dancing found in the video not to their liking.

To be fair, you hadn't even commented in the thread at that point, so my comment cannot have been addressing you directly. If you are offended by it then I am sorry you feel that way, but if you want to go through life looking for reasons to be offended, then I am sure you will find them. Even if you are offended, that doesn't mean you are right.

Of course it wasn't addressed to me directly. It also didn't "offend" me. But we're making statements on a public forum and expecting people to comment on them. (And your comment about me possibly "wanting to go through life looking for reasons to be offended" is both silly and a way to stop people from making comments since if they do they're obviously just people looking for things about which to be offended). People offered their opinions on a video and you basically insulted them for not agreeing with you. That's the same thing you do in the statement below:

The comment was intended to be a lighthearted poke at po-faced martial artists, and guess what happened?

Is it possible that what happened was that you were rude simply because people don't agree with you?

All people are entitled to think what they like, what they think will not change the truth of what Taekwondo is: cultural exchange between Korea and other cultures.

Well, you can speak for Taekwondo, but Taekwon-Do is more than that. In any event, part of Korean culture is an emphasis on courtesy, so good job.

Pax,

Chris

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
If people wanted to "[make] one world culture" (and I'm not sure what that means) it would seemingly be better just to do it through dance, since that is much more widespread than Taekwondo is or ever will be. But even if that were attempted there would still be people who would find the type of dancing found in the video not to their liking.

Yes, dance would be more efficient at sharing culture, but Taekwondo would not then be part of the culture shared. The point is using dance as a medium to reach a larger audience in sharing Taekwondo.
Of course it wasn't addressed to me directly. It also didn't "offend" me. But we're making statements on a public forum and expecting people to comment on them. (And your comment about me possibly "wanting to go through life looking for reasons to be offended" is both silly and a way to stop people from making comments since if they do they're obviously just people looking for things about which to be offended). People offered their opinions on a video and you basically insulted them for not agreeing with you. That's the same thing you do in the statement below:

I didn't insult anybody. I said some people take themselves too seriously. If you read that as an insult, then the problem lies with you.

Is it possible that what happened was that you were rude simply because people don't agree with you?

No. I was not rude. People are entitled to their opinions. You can have your own opinions, but you can't have your own facts. Post number 1 included incorrect statement of fact.
Well, you can speak for Taekwondo, but Taekwon-Do is more than that.

How?
In any event, part of Korean culture is an emphasis on courtesy, so good job.

As I said, if you were offended through your subjective interpretation of what I wrote, then I am sorry you feel that way. I can't be more courteous than that because I can't help how you feel. No discourtesy was intended, and that's all I'm going to say on this because I've made my point that Taekwondo should be fun, and I can't be bothered bickering over something so stupid. I know why I don't come here often anymore.
Pax,

Chris

Pax.

Gnarlie

chrispillertkd

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yes, dance would be more efficient at sharing culture, but Taekwondo would not then be part of the culture shared. The point is using dance as a medium to reach a larger audience in sharing Taekwondo.

In this case I still don't see the point of the video.

I didn't insult anybody. I said some people take themselves too seriously. If you read that as an insult, then the problem lies with you.

What you're saying here is you can say anything you want and it's not an insult. But that's not true. You can certainly say things in an insulting manner, which is what you did. If you don't recognize that fact then the problem lies with you.

No. I was not rude. People are entitled to their opinions. You can have your own opinions, but you can't have your own facts. Post number 1 included incorrect statement of fact.

The only misstatement of fact I see in post #1 is the statement that the video is somehow the work of the KKW. The rest of it is accurate. You can have your opinion that you weren't rude, but you're simply wrong.

It's a martial art.

As I said, if you were offended through your subjective interpretation of what I wrote, then I am sorry you feel that way. I can't be more courteous than that because I can't help how you feel. No discourtesy was intended, and that's all I'm going to say on this because I've made my point that Taekwondo should be fun, and I can't be bothered bickering over something so stupid. I know why I don't come here often anymore.

I wasn't offended. I was simply pointing out the fact that you were being rude, which is contrary to the Korean culture which you say Taekwondo is spreading to form one world culture. But you also end by shifting focus onto others, like when you implied I went through life looking for something to be offended about. That also didn't offend me, it was simply wrong. You have an odd definition of not bickering about things, however.

Pax,

Chris

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
In this case I still don't see the point of the video.

Then I don't know how to say it in clearer terms than this: it is intended as a bit of FUN that doubles as a way to reach a non-Taekwondo audience. And that's what it did. This video was originally introduced to me by a friend who is not a martial artist but knew 'Gangnam Style'.

What you're saying here is you can say anything you want and it's not an insult. But that's not true. You can certainly say things in an insulting manner, which is what you did. If you don't recognize that fact then the problem lies with you.

I'm not saying that, you're saying that. I'm not responding to your points here, because in my opinion, you need to let it go and move on. I really don't care.

The only misstatement of fact I see in post #1 is the statement that the video is somehow the work of the KKW. The rest of it is accurate. You can have your opinion that you weren't rude, but you're simply wrong.

In your opinion. Move on.

It's a martial art.

So is Taekwondo. The two aren't that different, I practice both. Martial arts are part of the Korean culture being exchanged.

I wasn't offended. I was simply pointing out the fact that you were being rude, which is contrary to the Korean culture which you say Taekwondo is spreading to form one world culture. But you also end by shifting focus onto others, like when you implied I went through life looking for something to be offended about. That also didn't offend me, it was simply wrong. You have an odd definition of not bickering about things, however.

I came to comment on the video, and people's negative attitudes towards dance as part of Taekwondo, which I've done. You've yet to bring much to this discussion other than your statements about how you perceive my comment. How about actually expressing your opinion instead of taking umbrage at the way I express mine?

Latest Discussions