Another School Shooting

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Man kills 5, self at Northern Illinois
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/niu_shooting
By CARYN ROUSSEAU, Associated Press Writer 1 minute ago

DEKALB, Ill. - A man dressed in black opened fire with a shotgun and two handguns from the stage of a lecture hall at Northern Illinois University on Thursday, killing five people and injuring several others before committing suicide, authorities said.
University Police Chief Donald Grady confirmed the deaths following a news conference, according to local newspapers.
It was not clear whether the dead victims were among the 18 people school President John Peters had reported as wounded. He wouldn't confirm any fatalities other than the gunman.
Witnesses in the geology class said "someone dressed in black came out from behind a screen in front of the classroom and opened fire with a shotgun," Peters said.
The gunman shot himself on the stage after a brief rampage that sent terrified students screaming, crying and running for the doors around 3 p.m.
This is the fourth of this type incident this week.
The shooting was the fourth at a U.S. school within a week.
On Feb. 8, a woman shot two fellow students to death before committing suicide at Louisiana Technical College in Baton Rouge. In Memphis, Tenn., a 17-year-old is accused of shooting and critically wounding a fellow student Monday during a high school gym class, and the 15-year-old victim of a shooting at an Oxnard, Calif., junior high school has been declared brain dead.
Are our schools safe? What is it going to take? Armed security officers in the halls and classrooms? This is terrible because it takes a place of learning and enrichment and turns it into a place of terror and paranoia. I plan on starting school again soon. Am I going to have to find adequate places to sit near the exit during classes? Because I cannot (legally) carry a firearm though I would love to because I'm intending not to end up on the wrong end of a gun again, been there done that several times thank you, don't need to worry about it again... or do I? I mean if someone wants to deal with their depression/anger/whatever! with blowing their brains out, instead of getting legitimate help ... fine... do it in the sanctity of their own home, leave everyone else alone!
My heart and sorrows go to the families of the slain 5 and of the other shootings as well.
:asian:

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
Are our schools safe? What is it going to take? Armed security officers in the halls and classrooms?

Well, there are a whole lot of malls, schools and doctor's offices in the United States. Very few of them get shot up, as often as these types of stories seem to occur. Would it really be worth it to turn our schools into little police states in a likely to be futile effort to stop these few events?

Latest Discussions