Horrific Karate referee

kaizasosei

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
unacceptable display of violence from a ref...good thing he had the sense to not follow through with the kick and stomp.
the first atemi was really cheap too.
i can see that he may have needed a touch of roughness, but to openly **** kick an unsuspecting contestant is completely out of line in my opinion.

j

Fiendlover

Black Belt
Reaction score
wow that was completely unacceptable, shameful, and dishonorable. that is against any code we try to uphold amongst martial artists.

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
What, does he think this is 1963 or something? ;)

Seriously though, the stories from the seniors about tournaments back then are a little...rough. One of my senior instructors had to use force as a ref more than once. He said there were something akin to riots a few times.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Is the fighter in white the ref's personal student? Reading through some of the Spanish comments, it looks like the student in white and the ref are both from a karate line while the student in black is from a kung fu line.

A few of the comments I read indicate that the student in white was losing, but the student in black was breaking some of the rules...which was why the ref flipped out and started beating up the kid.

I say "kid" because the fellow in black is only 17.

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
David has it nailed. The moment he lands the first hit he's not a referee. He's a criminal. What's more, by stomping the kid's head when he's on the ground he is using deadly force in his assault. That's serious prison time, and he'd deserve every second of it. At the very least he should be stripped of his rank and never ever allowed to participate in sanctioned activities again.

It doesn't matter if the guy in black was breaking rules or not. The ref needs to be tossed so hard he bounces twice.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I found it just as shocking as everyone else. Definitely dishonorable. Even if the student in black was being dishonorable by continually attacking the student in white after the set there was no excuse for the ref/teacher/sensei whatever! to go and do that.
Higher ranks should know control better than their students IMO no matter how dirty it gets. What is the point of attaining higher ranks if you can't control yourself?
It'd be nice to see/read the follow up on this incident and know the "rest of the story". If anyone gotten arrested, disciplined or what.

Thanks to those who can read Spanish to help clear the initial misconceptions.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Whoa guys...calm down. I wasn't in any way trying to justify the ref's behaviour in any way....just describing what I read.

If it were me personally, I'd go for assault, battery, perhaps even child abuse if that applied to a 17 year old.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
At first I thought it was going to be the vid clip on youtube where it's a MMA type match and the guy tries to take it out on the ref and the ref choke slams him.

Student of yours or not, this was not a case of the ref stepping in after action was called to protect the other guy. This was just a case of criminal assualt.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Whoa guys...calm down. I wasn't in any way trying to justify the ref's behaviour in any way....just describing what I read.

If it were me personally, I'd go for assault, battery, perhaps even child abuse if that applied to a 17 year old.
I don't think anyone thought you were, Carol. The misconceptions were simply what the relationship between the student(s) and ref were. I'm pretty sure that everyone here has learned enough about your own sense of honor and dignity to know better than to think that you would condone anything like that.

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
http://www.elmanana.com.mx/notas.asp?id=45270

Translated by The Fish:

Home › Tools › Babel Fish Translation › Translated Text
fish-left.gif

Babel Fish Translation
fish-right.gif
Help
In English: It generates controversy video of golpiza of professor of karate The presumed aggression of the professor of karate Isao Nakamuro Fushiki to a young competitor, has generated and social rejection controversial CITY VICTORY, Tamaulipas. - The presumed aggression of professor of karate Isao Nakamura Fushiki to a young competitor, has generated and social rejection controversial, because the scene was raised Internet, through YouTube, in where it takes more than 5 thousand 800 visits in a few days. The impressive video lasts of 00:45 seconds, and was raised in February of the 2008 YouTube, by a cybernauts who identifies itself like tzimarron. Nevertheless, it is not known exactly when it happened the aggression. Until now, the authorities of the Independent University of Tamaulipas (UAT) have not showed any position with respect to the aggression, although they have filtered versions to the means of which Isao Nakamura let belong a year ago and means to that institution. Nevertheless, the Universal one detected in the official vestibule of the UAT the photography of Nakamura like part of the personnel in City Victory, like professor of Karate Do. In the images of YouTube a confrontation between two competitors, the one of white indumentaria and another dark is appraised; Isao Nakamura appears as réferi and uses necktie. In second number eleven of the video, Nakamura arrives by the back from the young person from dark clothes and agrede. First he demolishes it and later he kicks to him in the head with the left leg and soon with the right he steps on it. Although the university authorities have not talked about to the fact, the citizens if they have shaped his opinions through the Internet and some are the following ones: Also the instructor of martial arts and local regidor of the Town hall of City Victory, Enrique Lara Tijerina, defended Nakamura and doubted the veracity of the images. "I am years old knowing Isao and has matured with the passage of time, I I do not doubt that Isao at its time when younger has had some situations, but as person today deserves the respect of the public", Lara said. Interviewed person by the vestibule of the news www.infonorte.net, on the aggressions of judges and instructors in this type of competitions, Lara responded: "All the sports that are of contact, require of the respect of their rules, and no of its modalities the violence is accepted mainly when it is in a competition, with professional people". Before the controversy that has caused the subject, sources of the UAT indicated that for a year and means Nakamura no longer it has been working in that institution, and that therefore, the director Jose Loyal Maria Gutiérrez, nor the Direction of Sports will not give any declaration on the matter.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Lara responded: "All the sports that are of contact, require of the respect of their rules, and no of its modalities the violence is accepted mainly when it is in a competition, with professional people". Before the controversy that has caused the subject, sources of the UAT indicated that for a year and means Nakamura no longer it has been working in that institution, and that therefore, the director Jose Loyal Maria Gutiérrez, nor the Direction of Sports will not give any declaration on the matter.
Contact sparring between the opponents is one thing. For a referee to step in and attack (without warning) and using non-regulation footwear (hard soled street shoes) is another.
How they can they "doubted the veracity of the images" when it's right there clear as day, without jerky camera and blurred focus?
That he "no longer working in that institution isn't enough IMO. It was as David, Carol, Tellner, & Punisher said... a clear case of assault.
Just shameful.

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm betting that if he is working for the University it won't be for long.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ante la polémica que ha causado el tema, fuentes de la UAT señalaron que desde hace un año y medio Nakamura ya no trabaja en esa institución, y que por lo tanto, el rector José María Leal Gutiérrez, ni la Dirección de Deportes no darán ninguna declaración al respecto.

They aren't saying that Nakamura was given leave as punishment for his actions. They are simply saying they can't comment on Nakamura because he isn't an employee of their institution and hasn't been for a year and a half.

If Nakamura was employed at the time the incident happened, then they are covering their glutes.

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
it looked to me like the guy in the white swung the first late hit, and the guy in black retaliated for that.

But, dang, that looked like a tough tournament didn't it! no gloves, full contact to the face... and thsoe guys are underbelts too.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
it looked to me like the guy in the white swung the first late hit, and the guy in black retaliated for that.

But, dang, that looked like a tough tournament didn't it! no gloves, full contact to the face... and thsoe guys are underbelts too.

There is a comment on you tube from someone that says he was there...

elrobotito (14 minutes ago) Show Hide
pixel-vfl73.gif
pixel-vfl73.gif

Marked as spam Reply | Spam

I was there.
The problem was that the battle was already finished and both competitors continue punching each other as a revenge of being defeated and punched back again several times.
After a while, the kung-fu fighters tried to use their weapons. They were fake thanks God.

El problema fue que en la batalla ambos competidores se continuaron dando golpes deshonestamente por haber perdido y en respuesta al golpe, y asi sucesivamente.
Despues los de kungfu intentaron usar sus armas de exhibicion.