another Olympic hopeful

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
In all honsety, there's no money to be made as a TKD competitor. I've heard rumors that some real elite athletes sometimes get minro endorsement deals...but since this sport doesnt' really attract much of a box office (compared to boxing or MMA)...there's no athlerte money.

The money is in running a school, selling gear, running workshops and camps.

99.9% of all competitors pay a lot and don't make a dime.

It's not a cheap sport of which to be a part, that's for sure.

Peace,
Erik

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The British Olympic Commitee has funds which it gives to various sports depending on their results in competitions, These sports can pass some onto the athletes but no one actually gets paid. Some of the elite athletes in the track and field events do get money from the Olympic committee as did some of the boxers. Our boxers however didn't do as well as expected in China so may have their money cut. The track athletes seem to be the only ones that can win big prize money in competitions and can even get appearance money. I imagine this is the situation in most countries.

OP
P

Peace & Harmony

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
thats what i actually thought lol oh well, i really wanna make tkd my life but im so unsure what i can do that can keep me financial stable you know?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
thats what i actually thought lol oh well, i really wanna make tkd my life but im so unsure what i can do that can keep me financial stable you know?

Get a job like the rest of us :)

MMA fighters and boxers all have to work too. There is only money for a few at the top, to get there you have to work to support yourself or get a very rich sponsor/spouse lol!

OP
P

Peace & Harmony

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
lmao very true, i mean jackie chan, bruce lee, and even jet lee probably had jobs while chasing their dreams.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
lmao very true, i mean jackie chan, bruce lee, and even jet lee probably had jobs while chasing their dreams.

Jackie Chan and Jet Li aren't the best examples. Both quit formal academic schooling at an early age. Chan was part of a famous gung fu performance group that included Sammo Hung. And Jet Li was taken out of regular classes to focus exclusively on wushu training.

It's a good thing both men did so well in their field since they had no 'normal' education or training to fall back upon. Not the best models to emulate for most of us...

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've trained with a lot of martial artsits in a lot of different arts and I only know a couple who make a living solely out of MA. Those were school owners...and all had academic degrees and professions prior ot opening their respective schools.

The vast majority I've trained with (even those with schools) had regular jobs. They put in an eight hour day then went and trained/taught.

it's the way of things in MA for sure.

We do it for the love and the passion, becasue it's fun...not to get rich (in most cases).

Peace,
Erik

OP
P

Peace & Harmony

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
great points from both of you, im currently working on my degree for psyhcology and maybe when im a black belt or something i can be black belt instructor at the school that im currently training at while having my job.

bribrius

Green Belt
Reaction score
pretend you came up with a new system.

invent some b.s. untested techniques.

film yourself in a pre-planned demonstration whooping some pretend butt so it looks like it works.

write a book about it and sell dvds... One dvd at a time and each one promising the real neat stuff starts in the next one.

And then find a magazine to do a piece on what a great ma master you are right after you create your own organization and title to oversee your new fake ma.

Last but not least, NEVER LET ANYONE SEE YOU DO IT FOR REAL. NO REAL SPARRING. NO REAL FIGHTS. THEY WILL FIGURE OUT IT DOESN'T WORK.

Follow these steps correctly. And you will be self supporting and make money in M.A.

Feel free to base your new system in part on existing ones. Not only is it easier to copy but it might give it some legitamacy. Just copy a few moves. should be enough. And say it is based on the four seasons or animals, or plants. Anything really that sounds good.

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
hello everyone, im new to MartialTalk, my name is terez and i was wondering is it possible to become a part of the olympics for Taekwondo? im a white belt currently and im 20 in college and im in love with Taekwondo so far! ive heard of people who have traveled to different countries to do competitions and such, and i would love to do that someday! i really want to represent the country of the USA in the Olympics. any advice for a young hopeful?

I have a few question for you.

1. Are you a tremendous athlete ALL-State Soccer, Football, Track, Basketball! One of these types of sports. If you are you have a very slim chance.

A tremendous athlete might be able to take up the sport now and be ready by 2016. This is a very small chance 1/1000 may be more. If you are in love with Sport TKD you will have fun and the journey you are on will be worth it.

Archtkd

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
To be honest I wouldn't want to put you off, I'd say go for what your dream is. I've just lost a student of mine in Afghan same age as you and life is very precious. If it seems making the team looks impossible I'd say do your best and go for it, who knows, the journey there may be better than the actual goal. whatever though, do make the most of your life, don't waste it with what if's and maybes, As Bruce Lee said, 'Don't think, do!"

Tez3: On another note, very sorry to hear about your loss. The death of a student under any circumstance is a very unfortunate and sad thing.. My he/she rest in peace.

OP
P

Peace & Harmony

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
well no im not a trememdous athete lol but i do know one thing, that whatever taekwondo takes me, even if i im doing competitions in different countries representing the usa, or just in my state, i know that i will have lots of fun :D

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
well no im not a trememdous athete lol but i do know one thing, that whatever taekwondo takes me, even if i im doing competitions in different countries representing the usa, or just in my state, i know that i will have lots of fun :D

Having fun is the most important thing.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tez3: On another note, very sorry to hear about your loss. The death of a student under any circumstance is a very unfortunate and sad thing.. My he/she rest in peace.

Thank you, he was a soldier out there caught by an IED.

It's so important to live your life as fully as you can.

OP
P

Peace & Harmony

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
no i have to thank you, your totally right, you never know whats going to happen today, tomorrow, next week, you have to live the best life you have now and not later.

Latest Discussions