Another new thread from a Noobie

opr1945

Green Belt
Reaction score
I read on one of the threads that there are noobies posting dumb questions. I am one of them.

Let me expand on that.

1. As a Teacher I know that sometimes people judge the person asking the question by the quality of the questions thsy ask. If they always ask good questions, showing thought and serious consideration the lostener may say bright person. If the questions are poor the listener might conclude a less bright person. Some use asking question to show others how bright they are, not really interested in the answer. When asking a question of someone who makes those judgements good advise may be "It is better to be silent and thought stupid than to open you mouth and remove all doubt."

2. I prefer to assume that a question asked in good faith to further the asker's knowledge, then there are no stupid questions. And, encouraged students to ask if they were serious. Probably there were others in the class who also had the same question but were were afraid to ask because of the potential judgement of others.

3. If I am in the Dojo in class and I don't understand something I might be hesitant to ask not wanting to look stupid in front of the sensi and others. Or to take up valuable class time with something that I don't know but more advanced students consider basic. I don't want to be an anchor dragging others down.

4. One of the benefits of an online forum is the anonymity. That is I don't care what you think of me and my level of intelligence or ability or whatever. (Actually, in person I probably don't care unless you are my wife or boss.) So here I can ask basic questions anonymously withoiut the above concerns. So thank for being here and responding to my questions.

Latest Discussions