Another Get your Kenpo Blackbelt at home.

OP
J

jrackley

arnisador said:
I deleted an extra copy of this thread.

-Arnisador
-MT Admin-
I am asking you guys, please do not disrespect Mr Roman.He is my personal Kenpo teacher. He has over 38 years of martial arts experience.He teaches self defense full time.Thats a dream for many of us.
Thanks
JR

OP
J

jrackley

superdave said:
Too bad Ed Parker isn't around to kick this dude in his butt. Looking through the current issue of Black Belt, I noticed Larry Tatum has a home study program also.

I understand that Mr, Tatum is skilled and has earned his rank, but this kind of thing just helps to destroy solid martial arts systems.
SuperDave, Please do not disrespect Mr Roman.It is cowardly to talk bad about a martial arts brother behind there back and especially on the internet.You are very misinformed.Adrian Roman has over 38 years of martial arts experience.Theres a picture of him and Ed Parker together at a contest in his office.I personally train with the Chief and in my opinion he is one of the best.PLEASE do not give your opinion about something you do not know anything about!
JRackley

OP
J

jrackley

cdhall said:
If I legitimately earn a Black Belt in Kenpo and open a studio of my own, maybe even a club. I have already decided that I will have to seriously consider why I should not challenge this guy to a match at the UFC and donate all the proceeds to a legitimate Native American Charity.

The Charity angle is necessary to not give him a good "out."

Frankly, I'm surprised no Kenpo Black Belt has challenged this guy in public.

Right now, I don't have any credentials and I am not in proper shape to go challenging people, but I anticipate getting there and exposing this guy in public will be high on the list.

Who were the guys that challenged VanDamme? Bill Wallace and 10 others? I don't see why Chief Roman has not been challenged in a similar fashion.

But I don't know for sure. Maybe he's legit. Maybe what he says is true. I'll have to check that out thoroughly as well.

I agree this stuff is embarassing and an excellent example of "all that is necessary for evil to succeed is for good men to stand by and do nothing."

I guess I need to become a good man. Then once I verify this as "evil" I'll execute whatever recourse I can that is in accordance with Scripture. I am sure the Bible must say something about what to do in these circumstances.

This is one of the more outrageous claims on the web. How many times does he use Honor on his website?

I'll shut up, but the lack of the ability to use proper grammar is also a pet peeve of mine. If you are going to claim, in English, that you are a Grandmaster... of something, then at least say it properly.

"If you thought Kenpo was tough and sophisticated, get ready because we are raising the bar considerable. You will find it challenging and innovated."

Was he drunk when he put this up on the Internet for everyone on Earth to read? He can't even use the Alphabets of the English Language, why should we believe he is a Grandmaster of the Alphabets of Motion as prescribed by Mr. Parker?

I hate this stuff. I have been quiet for a while, but I had to chime in this time whether is it Scripturally sound of me to do so or not.
:(
Please do not disrespect Mr Roman.Shame on you.You are a coward to talk bad about a martial arts brother behind there back!Mr Roman is one of the best.He has over 38 years of martial arts experience.A Grandmaster and 8th degree black belt.He is my personal trainer and you are very misinformed about his program.Please do not give your opinion on something you know nothing about.The man teachs self defense full time.What do you do for a living?Please respect others!

OP
J

jrackley

MJS said:
A video is NOT going to teach the fine points that you will get from a good Inst. If you already have a solid background, then yeah, the video might be able to give you a few things, but nothing can take the place of an actual Inst. You see this with every art out there, not only Kenpo. Its really amazing as to what lengths people will go to just to make some extra$$$$. Its really sad to think that people actually spend money on stuff like this and then think that they are actually at Black Belt level.

Mike
Mike, shame on you for talking about a brother martial artist behind there back!Mr Roman doesnt do jumping jacks with you, he teachs you how to defend yourself.His program is not for people with no self motivation.You are very misinformed.Chiefs program is good.He is my personal instructor.He has over 38 years of martial arts experience.8th degree black belt and your stabbing him in the back like a spineless jellyfish.Please repect others!
jrackley

OP
J

jrackley

clapping_tiger said:
Although I belong to a school and I have an excellent instructor. I do know there are a few individuals who train via video through the IKCA. I do admit that I don't think everyone has what it takes to make a good Black Belt working via video, some people do need an instructor right there to show them and guide them through their art (yes, I am one of those people). But I think in order to make a good video program work is that the instructors need to be accessible at all times to the students via telephone, video, seminars, email, and advice on where they could go close by to get one on one instruction. I do know that Mr. Vic LeRoux and Mr. Chuck Sullivan do make themselves available at any time to their members. I think it is pretty harsh to say that nobody can make a good Kenpoist training via video. I have seen some damn fine Black Belts that have come this way, and some Black Belts (even up to 4th Degree) that sucked so bad it made me sick. I do agree that any program that claims you will be a black belt in 365 days is bogus, and you receive your black belt certification right away, and testing is optional?? That is a scam. But not ALL video testing programs work in such a manner. All I am saying is it is not the program or necessarily the Kenpo system, it is how you train. And whether or not you take advantage of all the knowledge and resources that is offered to you.
Sir, you are very misinformed about Mr Romans program.You do test, and private lessons are always available.People come to Dallas from all over the US to train with the Chief.HIS PROGRAM WORKS IF THE PERSON HAS SELF DISCIPLINE IF THEY DONT, THE SHOULD NOT STUDY KENPO!

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Dude. Try not to miss your meds. It makes you ramble like a blithering idiot. If we are to judge a teacher by his students, you disintegrating online is certainly no testament to Mr. Romans credibility.

Dave.

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Reviewing your posts, I have to reiterate/clarify something. I believe you need help. The redundancy of innane word salad stuff you've written in a haste reads like the obsessive contents of a disturbed mind. You might want to seek some counseling. I legitimately do not mean this as a slam. I'm concerned for your health and well-being, and highly recommend you seek an evaluation for assistance. A mind can get stuck in a groove, and have a hard time finding its way out.

Good luck to you. I wish you well and send you good intent.

Dave

Bill Lear

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Originally from Mr. Romans Web Site:

Grandmaster Roman has eliminated the hassles, time restraints, and major costs in obtaining a certified Black Belt. As a former school owner, it was necessary to keep a student in the school environment for 4 or 5 years to pay the overhead. The transfer of knowledge is easily done in 365 day or less by concentrating on the material rather than being your physical drill instructor. So, what we are selling is time and convenience to you. What is 4 years of your life worth by not having to go to a local martial arts school 2 or 3 times a week. Don’t you feel it’s about time you got your Black Belt?

jrackley,

Eliminated the hassles?

Legitimately earning a black belt in a studio is a hassle? Why?

Eliminated the time restraints?

All good things take time. Right?

Eliminated the major costs?

Wow, $995.00 seems like an aweful lot of money for a piece of paper, doesn't it?

As a former school owner, it was necessary to keep a student in the school environment for 4 or 5 years to pay the overhead?

1. Why is he a FORMER school owner?
2. Why is it necessary to keep a student in the school for 4 - 5 years?
3. What was his overhead?

The transfer of knowledge is easily done in 365 day or less by concentrating on the material rather than being your physical drill instructor?

What does this mean? Does this mean that I don't have to physically do anything? All I have to do is concentrate on the material for 365 days or less?

So, what we are selling is time and convenience to you.

We're all mortal, right? Why don't I save myself the inconvenience of living out my natural life and commit suicide? I mean hell... it would solve that pesky problem of having to invest any time into actually doing anything.

What is 4 years of my life worth by not having to go to a local martial arts school 2 or 3 times a week?

I honestly don't know... Do I get to dress up like an indian too?

Don’t you feel it’s about time you got your Black Belt?

Honestly? No! Thank you.

:shrug:

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Love the post, Billy, but really don't think this guy is able to get it. All you're going to get is predictable salad, to the effect of "pleasedonotdiosrespectChiefRomanheismypersonalkenpoinstructorwithoverthirtyeightyearsandyouhavenospineattackingpeopleyouhavenevermetpleasedon'tbedisrespectfulGrandmasterRomanisareallygreatguywhomakesmymothercookiesandyouareevilfordisrespectinghimheismypersoanlkenpoinstructor8thdegreeblack..."

I really think we owe it to him to have one of the Texans contact the local authorities to see if he's a 5150 looking for a place to happen.

Respectfully,

Dave

Bill Lear

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Kembudo-Kai Kempoka,

I think you might be right. I wonder if he'll use his certificate to defend himself against the authorities when they come to take him away, ho ho, he he, ha ha, to the funny farm, where life is beautiful all the time...

:idunno:

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
jrackley said:
Mike, shame on you for talking about a brother martial artist behind there back!Mr Roman doesnt do jumping jacks with you, he teachs you how to defend yourself.His program is not for people with no self motivation.You are very misinformed.Chiefs program is good.He is my personal instructor.He has over 38 years of martial arts experience.8th degree black belt and your stabbing him in the back like a spineless jellyfish.Please repect others!
jrackley

OBVIOUSLY, you missed my point here. If you go back and re-read what I said, maybe you'd understand it. Let me explain it to you again. If a student has NO...I'll say it again, NO, martial arts training, if they think that by watching a video, that they'd get the same quality instruction as a live instructor, they are sadly mistaken. Is there going to be anyone there to correct you if you make a mistake? No. Now, if someone already has a background in Kenpo, then yeah, I'd say the tapes are good as a reference point. Now, you bring up another good point. You said that he is your PERSONAL instructor. Ok, so that means that you have access to him all the time, whereas a distance student does not. I'm sure you also got offended due to the fact that you're his student, and of course you're going to support everything that he sells, does, etc. It has nothing to do with disrespect. Instead it has to do with making a point, that its going to be harder to learn from a tape!

I think that you need to calm down a little before you flip out on people!!! To me, it does not sound like you have any self motivation, rather a lack of self control!

Mike

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Kembudo-Kai Kempoka said:
Dude. Try not to miss your meds. It makes you ramble like a blithering idiot. If we are to judge a teacher by his students, you disintegrating online is certainly no testament to Mr. Romans credibility.

Dave.

Yes, I agree with that 100%! I seriously think that you need to relax a little bit here.

Mike

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Kembudo-Kai Kempoka said:
Love the post, Billy, but really don't think this guy is able to get it. All you're going to get is predictable salad, to the effect of "pleasedonotdiosrespectChiefRomanheismypersonalkenpoinstructorwithoverthirtyeightyearsandyouhavenospineattackingpeopleyouhavenevermetpleasedon'tbedisrespectfulGrandmasterRomanisareallygreatguywhomakesmymothercookiesandyouareevilfordisrespectinghimheismypersoanlkenpoinstructor8thdegreeblack..."

I really think we owe it to him to have one of the Texans contact the local authorities to see if he's a 5150 looking for a place to happen.

Respectfully,

Dave

:boing2: :boing2:

Mike

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Bill Lear said:
Kembudo-Kai Kempoka,

I think you might be right. I wonder if he'll use his certificate to defend himself against the authorities when they come to take him away, ho ho, he he, ha ha, to the funny farm, where life is beautiful all the time...

:idunno:

:boing2: :boing2:

Mike

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Bill Lear said:
jrackley,

Eliminated the hassles?

Legitimately earning a black belt in a studio is a hassle? Why?

Eliminated the time restraints?

All good things take time. Right?

Eliminated the major costs?

Wow, $995.00 seems like an aweful lot of money for a piece of paper, doesn't it?

As a former school owner, it was necessary to keep a student in the school environment for 4 or 5 years to pay the overhead?

1. Why is he a FORMER school owner?
2. Why is it necessary to keep a student in the school for 4 - 5 years?
3. What was his overhead?

The transfer of knowledge is easily done in 365 day or less by concentrating on the material rather than being your physical drill instructor?

What does this mean? Does this mean that I don't have to physically do anything? All I have to do is concentrate on the material for 365 days or less?

So, what we are selling is time and convenience to you.

We're all mortal, right? Why don't I save myself the inconvenience of living out my natural life and commit suicide? I mean hell... it would solve that pesky problem of having to invest any time into actually doing anything.

What is 4 years of my life worth by not having to go to a local martial arts school 2 or 3 times a week?

I honestly don't know... Do I get to dress up like an indian too?

Don’t you feel it’s about time you got your Black Belt?

Honestly? No! Thank you.

:shrug:

Billy, many VERY good points here!! IMO, I feel that there is a greater satisfaction to work hard for something, especially something like a black belt, rather than to have it handed out to you after 365 days!

Mike

OP
B

Bald Bob

Superdave, I hate to burst your bubble but the majority of education is now done at a distance. Video is one of the most sophisticated forms. Throughout the world, continuing education for neurosurgeons, attorneys, psychologists, and for that matter almost every profession is largely done at a distance.

Since I am a member of Grandmaster Roman's studio my thoughts about his programs are based on empirical evidence rather than your thoughts which are apparently based on pure conjecture. I have seen his students who have trained by video and then come to his studio to perform what they have learned -- and they do quite well.

SDave, your syntax and vocabulary suggest you have a college degree or something close -- which makes me surprised at your ignorance of modern learning methods. Captious criticism of what you have never seen goes beyond ignorance into the realm of being mean-spirited and stupid.

Next time you choose to humiliate yourself why don't you choose a less public forum?

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think that some people are still missing the point here! There is nothing wrong with video/dvd. I myself own a few. However, the difference is, is that I do not use them as my sole learning tool. I have several BJJ tapes, but I have a BJJ instructor that I train under. I feel to lead people into thinking that if they purchase these tapes, that they can be as good as someone who trains on a daily basis at a school, under an instructor, is very wrong.

Mike

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Bald Bob said:
I have seen his students who have trained by video and then come to his studio to perform what they have learned -- and they do quite well.

A few questions for you.

1- Have these students that come to the school had any prior Kenpo training?

2- Do you think that the quality of a video purple belt, going to be the same as the quality of a purple belt that has access to a school all the time?

3- You said that they do quite well. How much correction, if any, do they need when they are showing these techs. in person?

4- Do the video students have a very good understanding of the finer points of the tech, or do those need to be shown in detail in person?

5- Is the video training going to stop at 1st degree, or is there an option available to them to continue the learning?

Mike

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My instructor DOES know Adrian Roman, has for years, and I have been in at least one seminar he attended ... before he promoted himself to his current rank.

Be very careful what you are asserting here Bald Bob andjrackley. I am giving you the benefit of the doubt, in that, as others pointed out, you may not have any other experience to compare your current instruction to, (or as I say, "you don't know what you don't know"), however ... some of us do, and think what he offers, in the way that he offers it is problematic, unethical, and that is where the Black Belt pledge comes in, and duty to protect students from "ravenous individuals".

I do not expect any type of positive response to this post, but feel like there are some of us who do know the Chief from way back - and what he asserts concerns us, as members of the Kenpo community. That is as polite as I can say it.

Some of us will continue to protest his commercial offering and the way he does it. Your defense of him, while admirable, and to be expected of loyal students, is misplaced at best. I am sincerely glad you are happy in your current training, and do wish you the best personally, but this does not make his web offering any more paletable, which is what this thread was about initially.

-Michael

wisdomstrikes

White Belt
Reaction score
MJS said:
I think that some people are still missing the point here! There is nothing wrong with video/dvd. I myself own a few. However, the difference is, is that I do not use them as my sole learning tool. I have several BJJ tapes, but I have a BJJ instructor that I train under. I feel to lead people into thinking that if they purchase these tapes, that they can be as good as someone who trains on a daily basis at a school, under an instructor, is very wrong.

YUP!!!

Latest Discussions