Another Get your Kenpo Blackbelt at home.

OP
B

Bald Bob

MJS said:
This proves my point. Notice that you said that all that you have seen had prior training. Therefore of course they're gonna look good...They already have a background, therefore making it easier.

Let me explain something to you. People are not always fortunate enough to have the chance to live in Ca. and train with the Gracies. My BJJ instructor is trained under Roy Harris. Granted he is not a BB, but he definately knows his material. Short of me moving to CA. to train with Royce or Larry Tatum in Kenpo, people have to go with what they have. Personally, it is not a dead horse. In fact, its a very good point, and its something that YOU said in the first answer. Training by video is not as good as training in person. No matter how you try to slice it sir, its the truth.

Ok. That being said, it proves that one on one instruction is better than a tape! Even if I trained daily with Larry Tatum, of course I'd have things I'd need work on. The difference is, is that he would be right there all the time for me to ask my questions.

But this shows that the finer points are still not going to be shown on tape.

Ok. So if someone wants to continue training, their options are limited?

You're welcome. Actually, I'm not at work right now. I'm currently working 3rd shift, so I have much free time during the day! I enjoy this forum. There are many very good people here, who have alot of knowledge. I have been fortunate enough to associate on a more personal level with a few members of this forum. Also, as I've said before, we are all different. My views are not going to be the same as another. Rather than jump down someones throat, maybe listening to what they are saying and asking questions of yor own, would be a much better option, than slinging mud! Lets keep ourselves as well as the Mods. happy!

A 7yr BB???? I have to say, that I have seen VERY young kids wearing a BB, and IMHO, its very wrong. Personally, I would not put a BB around anyones waist until they are at least 16. But lets not start that debate here.

Mike
MJ your courtesy makes you worth replying to yet again (although I am getting embarrassed by the work I am not doing -- I always said I would stay out of these chat rooms).

You misunderstand: I do not argue that a video is as good as face to face all things being equal (some videos are far better than live instructors!). That statement is not, however, equivalent to "it is wrong to award belts via video training." And that is precisely what some people have said or implied. IMNSHO you are right about age and BBs and why not start that debate? It has some substance while this whole video controversy is an exercise in some people having too much time.

I agree with you about slinging mud; that said, if someone opines publicly about something they have no knowledge of that is stupid is the literal sense of the word and is accurate rather than insulting.

Thanks for being a reasonable correspondent.

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Bald Bob said:
Superdave, I hate to burst your bubble but the majority of education is now done at a distance. Video is one of the most sophisticated forms. Throughout the world, continuing education for neurosurgeons, attorneys, psychologists, and for that matter almost every profession is largely done at a distance.

Since I am a member of Grandmaster Roman's studio my thoughts about his programs are based on empirical evidence rather than your thoughts which are apparently based on pure conjecture. I have seen his students who have trained by video and then come to his studio to perform what they have learned -- and they do quite well.

SDave, your syntax and vocabulary suggest you have a college degree or something close -- which makes me surprised at your ignorance of modern learning methods. Captious criticism of what you have never seen goes beyond ignorance into the realm of being mean-spirited and stupid.

Next time you choose to humiliate yourself why don't you choose a less public forum?
Okay. Let's try this for a quick sec.

1. Empirical evidence refers to a thing observed, and nothing more. The rigors of research via the empirical method are simply ways to solidify consistencies between what one person observes under controlled circumstances, and what another observes under that same set of controlled circumstances. I EMPIRICALLY OBSERVED the information posted by Chief Roman, on HIS website, repeatedly. Found bupkiss there about quality controls via personal interaction, testing, etc. I even looked in the fine print, hoping to find something other than some guy selling a black belt in EPAK. The charge of conjecture would have been applicable had I not referenced the webesite, in a discussion about the contents of the website...had I pulled a Johnny carson, holding an envelope to my forehead. You are a proud student of the Chief, so I'll tell you what: You read the website, and let me know where it says what so many of us have managed to miss, that I was forced to conject about due to the absence of information to the contrary. Or is he blatantly practicing bait and switch? Unsuspecting guy invests good chunk of change, then Roman sez, "actually, you gotta come train."?

2. Ignorance of Modern Learning Methods. Do you read any other threads on MT? Unlike many of the other distinguished members of this fora, I did not have the pleasure of training for years with Edmund K. Parker. What I did have the pleasure of doing with him was directly related to my my knowledge of learning methods. Mr. Parker mentioned Superlearning in one of the Infinite Insights books. I thought this was cool, since I'd been studying accelerated learning methods for many years, and co-founded the Accelerated Learning Institute with professors in learning theory, cognitive psychology, social cognition, and other LEARNING and communication-related fields. Mr. White formally introduced me to him at a seminar in Costa Mesa, where we arranged to have discussions and sessions at a later time about developments in the fields of accelerated learning and performance improvement (I was from Hawaii, and named Dave...which he seemed to dial in on as it was the name of a brother or brother-in-law of his). Did that; was to summarize the main ideas in a series of articles and a book with his assistance. Mr. Parker passed while I was in Europe. I did not learn secret kenpo teachings (this one is for you, Doc), or anything of the sort. Nor did I press him for anything, though the temptation was certainly there (everybody wanted something from him). Just spoke and met a few times with a very kind, friendly, and accepting man, who incidently used to say, "Be careful of who you have your picture taken with." BTW, I am deeply ignorant about how to change the oil in my own car. If you would like to modify your assertions for contextual relevancy, I will be glad to consider them as valid observations, and consider them appropriately.

3. Captious criticism of what I have never seen. Hmm. I have seen the website at issue in this forum. Have you seen me?..."beyond ignorance into the realm of being mean-spirited and stupid"... Sound 'captious' enough for ya? Certainly seems to me like a mean-spirited thing to say.

My comments have been -- in this and other threads -- critical of Chief Romans buy-by-night black belt over the web. He may teach in person, and may even produce very good students from among those he personally teaches. Selling the representation of a significant accomplishment cheapens the meaning for those who trained long and hard for similar belts; similar certificates. Even people on the outskirts of kenpo should have enough respect for the dearly departed so as not to diminish the value of their lifes work by making the representation of it a package deal at a bargain basement price. Specifically, Mr. Roman holds himself out (certainly through inference, if not by direct claim) as an 8th degree black in Ed Parkers Kenpo, and offers web students the chance to be 1st degree black belts in EPAK for a check or money order made out to...

Last time I looked, Mr. Parker had only directly promoted the highest ranking of his personal, long time students to 7th degree black prior to his passing. Many of the top seniors in kenpo have since added to their rank, appropriately (in my mind) considering they ARE the most senior members of the system, and a system should not die with it's founder. Last I checked, Adrian Roman is not even close to being one of Ed Parkers' top seniors. Tatum, White, LaBounty, Planas, Trejo, Palanzo (sp?), Ch...something or other, and other familiar names are people with the right to wear higher ranks since the old mans passing. Roman is not. For Pete's sake, Robert Perry, a close friend and long-time student of Mr. Parkers with YEARS!!!!!!!!!!!! of direct contact and training only dared promote himself to 8th degree (recieving Mr. Parkers blessing as evidenced by his signature on Perry's 8th degree certificate)...the same kenpo rank claimed by Chief Roman. Am I to believe, even for a second, that these two gentleman are/were (RIP, Mr. Perry) equals in their understanding of Mr. Parkers kenpo? Pshahh!

Perhaps it is Mr. Roman who should find less public places to humiliate himself, THEN THE WORLD WIDE WEB!!!

Aside for this, welcome to MT, and I look forward to your more meaningful contributions.

Regards,

Dr. Dave (note: NOT Superdave)

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
I look at some of these, and wonder if Kaith isn't making them up just to liven things in the fora :) ...baiting us with the fictional offerings of the cognitively challenged, just so we'll get our undies in a bunch and increase our levels of involvement. Cuz if he's not, truth really is stranger then fiction.

D.

Dark Kenpo Lord

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Kembudo-Kai Kempoka said:
I look at some of these, and wonder if Kaith isn't making them up just to liven things in the fora :) ...baiting us with the fictional offerings of the cognitively challenged, just so we'll get our undies in a bunch and increase our levels of involvement. Cuz if he's not, truth really is stranger then fiction.

D.
I have to admit, I've seriously enjoyed reading all your posts on this subject, and the succinct manner you've displayed with such insight.

Dark Lord

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
By the way, Doc. Awesome rant.

D.
Thanks much. All I ask is that you take at least two breaths between the mention of my friend the late great Bob Perry, and the "Chief."

Bob was ultimately promoted to 9th, and although it was not by Parker, Parker sanctioned it. I was there that night in Garden Grove and Bob was the gentleman he always was. The official "voice of the International Karate Champoinships" for the 12 years I ran it until he quietly passed on. Glad you mentioned his name. There are a number of people like him that deserve discussion for their contributions over "video hucksters."

And the point being made re "distance learning" proliferation to the higher levels of academia, I would remind some it is after the fact with people already in possession of advanced degrees at the top of their field. They didn't get to be surgeons by looking at videos on playstaion 2. And they still aren't fighting for their lives. Apples and hand grenades.

Keepem' duckin' Dr. Dave, I like your style.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

D.
Sorry to disapoint, but the folks posting in defence of Chief Roman are in Texas AFAIK. I have many witnesses who will vouch I was in Buffalo this past weekend, and rarely online. No magic on my part. :)

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Doc said:
"Bob Perry"
for those that may not know him.

Bob was ultimately promoted to 9th, and although it was not by Parker, Parker sanctioned it. He was the official "voice of the International Karate Champoinships" for many years until he quietly passed on. Glad you mentioned his name. There are a number of people like him that deserve discussion for their contributions over "video hucksters."

"Bob Perry"​
From my files.......

Attachments

• $bobperry.gif.gif
    $bobperry.gif.gif
    30.9 KB · Views: 385

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Goldendragon7 said:
"Bob Perry"​

From my files.......
Excellent pic; cool to see the Fan again. Only thing missing: The ever-present pipe.:( Got my first Meerscham (sp?) from him...a small dragon he no longer wanted, but had well colored over the years. I smoke a pipe on occasion, and never can to this day without wandering down memory lanes about a studio half filled with blue-gray smoke, and the kenpo landmark who built it.

Doc: Sorry about the 2-breaths rules violation, but comparisons require proxemics. Mr. Perry was my first EPAK instructor on Mainland soil in the mid-seventies, and even after moving on, I always returned for spells for the pleasure of being grilled about my intermediate activities. He would predictably take me to task about the arts I'd been studying, and place the techniques & strategies under the microscope of kenpo logic.

I selected Mr. Perry intentionally, based on his reputation amongst older kenpoistas as the consumate salesman; running joke used to be to say "here he comes; watch your wallet" as he entered the room. Nevertheless, he was a consumate kenpo technician. I had a propensity to razz in my younger years (hard to believe, I'm sure), and his response to it was to literally sit my 6'3" butt on his knee, facing away, and pepper me with finger rakes, whips, etc., checking & bumping my legs out from under me as I tried to clear my vision of his fingers and get my feet under me. Inevitably, by the time my corneas had rebounded to normal position from multiple wipes and I was done staggering to find my center, he would already be accross the room with his pipe back in his mouth, and twirling one of the escrima he'd recieved from Mr. Inosanto. More rings then Liberace flashing, as he'd exit the room towards his office, getting in some last quip from a safe distance (I'm sure it was because he feared my wicked retribution :boing2: ). He might seperate you from your well-earned cash, but he provided a reliable service in exchange. Many in kenpo started with him over the years, prior to making their own way down destinies lanes. Marked difference from the buy-by-night guys.

All y'all seniors, many going back as far as he, I'm sure know his speed & talents better than I. I miss being raked over by him, and will always feel a duty to take a position with wannabe's that presume to be as well versed as so many excellent seniors, past & present.

Doc Ch...something or other...:wink2: I'm glad he was recognized in this promotion prior to his passing. It's well-deserved for a man who lived kenpo for many more years than most on these boards have been alive. I'm sure he would be occupying an interesting place in kenpo were he with us still.

:asian:

D.

OP
B

Bald Bob

Okay. Let's try this for a quick sec.

1. Empirical evidence refers to a thing observed, and nothing more. The rigors of research via the empirical method are simply ways to solidify consistencies between what one person observes under controlled circumstances, and what another observes under that same set of controlled circumstances. I EMPIRICALLY OBSERVED the information posted by Chief Roman, on HIS website, repeatedly. Found bupkiss there about quality controls via personal interaction, testing, etc. I even looked in the fine print, hoping to find something other than some guy selling a black belt in EPAK. The charge of conjecture would have been applicable had I not referenced the webesite, in a discussion about the contents of the website...had I pulled a Johnny carson, holding an envelope to my forehead. You are a proud student of the Chief, so I'll tell you what: You read the website, and let me know where it says what so many of us have managed to miss, that I was forced to conject about due to the absence of information to the contrary. Or is he blatantly practicing bait and switch? Unsuspecting guy invests good chunk of change, then Roman sez, "actually, you gotta come train."?

2. Ignorance of Modern Learning Methods. Do you read any other threads on MT? Unlike many of the other distinguished members of this fora, I did not have the pleasure of training for years with Edmund K. Parker. What I did have the pleasure of doing with him was directly related to my my knowledge of learning methods. Mr. Parker mentioned Superlearning in one of the Infinite Insights books. I thought this was cool, since I'd been studying accelerated learning methods for many years, and co-founded the Accelerated Learning Institute with professors in learning theory, cognitive psychology, social cognition, and other LEARNING and communication-related fields. Mr. White formally introduced me to him at a seminar in Costa Mesa, where we arranged to have discussions and sessions at a later time about developments in the fields of accelerated learning and performance improvement (I was from Hawaii, and named Dave...which he seemed to dial in on as it was the name of a brother or brother-in-law of his). Did that; was to summarize the main ideas in a series of articles and a book with his assistance. Mr. Parker passed while I was in Europe. I did not learn secret kenpo teachings (this one is for you, Doc), or anything of the sort. Nor did I press him for anything, though the temptation was certainly there (everybody wanted something from him). Just spoke and met a few times with a very kind, friendly, and accepting man, who incidently used to say, "Be careful of who you have your picture taken with." BTW, I am deeply ignorant about how to change the oil in my own car. If you would like to modify your assertions for contextual relevancy, I will be glad to consider them as valid observations, and consider them appropriately.

3. Captious criticism of what I have never seen. Hmm. I have seen the website at issue in this forum. Have you seen me?..."beyond ignorance into the realm of being mean-spirited and stupid"... Sound 'captious' enough for ya? Certainly seems to me like a mean-spirited thing to say.

My comments have been -- in this and other threads -- critical of Chief Romans buy-by-night black belt over the web. He may teach in person, and may even produce very good students from among those he personally teaches. Selling the representation of a significant accomplishment cheapens the meaning for those who trained long and hard for similar belts; similar certificates. Even people on the outskirts of kenpo should have enough respect for the dearly departed so as not to diminish the value of their lifes work by making the representation of it a package deal at a bargain basement price. Specifically, Mr. Roman holds himself out (certainly through inference, if not by direct claim) as an 8th degree black in Ed Parkers Kenpo, and offers web students the chance to be 1st degree black belts in EPAK for a check or money order made out to...

Last time I looked, Mr. Parker had only directly promoted the highest ranking of his personal, long time students to 7th degree black prior to his passing. Many of the top seniors in kenpo have since added to their rank, appropriately (in my mind) considering they ARE the most senior members of the system, and a system should not die with it's founder. Last I checked, Adrian Roman is not even close to being one of Ed Parkers' top seniors. Tatum, White, LaBounty, Planas, Trejo, Palanzo (sp?), Ch...something or other, and other familiar names are people with the right to wear higher ranks since the old mans passing. Roman is not. For Pete's sake, Robert Perry, a close friend and long-time student of Mr. Parkers with YEARS!!!!!!!!!!!! of direct contact and training only dared promote himself to 8th degree (recieving Mr. Parkers blessing as evidenced by his signature on Perry's 8th degree certificate)...the same kenpo rank claimed by Chief Roman. Am I to believe, even for a second, that these two gentleman are/were (RIP, Mr. Perry) equals in their understanding of Mr. Parkers kenpo? Pshahh!

Perhaps it is Mr. Roman who should find less public places to humiliate himself, THEN THE WORLD WIDE WEB!!!

Aside for this, welcome to MT, and I look forward to your more meaningful contributions.

Regards,

Dr. Dave (note: NOT Superdave)
Ease up on the caffeine, Doctor Dave, that many exclamation marks can't be good for your blood pressure.

If the empirical observation and comments of the critics of Grandmaster Roman were simply criticisms of the WEBSITE I stand corrected. If you saw my website God knows what you would say.... I was under the impression that people were criticizing his distance students without having seen them or his methods without having seen them -- and that, of course, would be stupid, mean-spirited etc.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Bald Bob said:
MJ your courtesy makes you worth replying to yet again (although I am getting embarrassed by the work I am not doing -- I always said I would stay out of these chat rooms).

Thanks. I'm doing my best to keep myself in check.

You misunderstand: I do not argue that a video is as good as face to face all things being equal (some videos are far better than live instructors!). That statement is not, however, equivalent to "it is wrong to award belts via video training." And that is precisely what some people have said or implied. IMNSHO you are right about age and BBs and why not start that debate? It has some substance while this whole video controversy is an exercise in some people having too much time.

Some videos are better than a live instructor?? Really? And which would those be?? As for awarding belts. IMO, yes it is wrong. I've always been a firm believer in working hard for things, not having them given to me. Oh well, to each his own I guess.

I agree with you about slinging mud; that said, if someone opines publicly about something they have no knowledge of that is stupid is the literal sense of the word and is accurate rather than insulting.

Not true. The idea of the forums, IMO, is to exchange knowledge. Do you think that everyone here knows everything about everything? The thread is about Mr. Romans tapes, but if you stop and think about it, the same can really be said about ALL of the instructional tapes out there, regardless of if its Kenpo, Judo, BJJ, or Kung Fu. The fact of the matter is, is that its still learning from a tape, no matter how you try to cut it!

Thanks for being a reasonable correspondent.

You're welcome! As I said above, I'm doing my best to keep the posts on a semi-friendly level, and at the same time, my own attitude in line!

Mike

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The criticism is based on the way Mr. Roman presents his video program on his website.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Bald Bob said:
Ease up on the caffeine, Doctor Dave, that many exclamation marks can't be good for your blood pressure.

If the empirical observation and comments of the critics of Grandmaster Roman were simply criticisms of the WEBSITE I stand corrected. If you saw my website God knows what you would say.... I was under the impression that people were criticizing his distance students without having seen them or his methods without having seen them -- and that, of course, would be stupid, mean-spirited etc.

I do not believe that the web site is whats in question here, but rather the distance learning process.

Mike

Gentle Fist

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
It all comes down to if a black belt under Cheif Roman is worth $900, and the fact that you may never meet him face to face let alone train with him. There are 1,000s of different styles with their own black belt requirements. If one feels like they earned a black belt under this gentlemen by buying his video then so be it. Most of us on here have trained hard for years and get the satisfaction of going home sore and humilated... I have videos myself, but would never use them without being shown the form/technique by my master first. This is America, what makes a black belt these days anyway?

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
fistlaw720 said:
It all comes down to if a black belt under Cheif Roman is worth $900, and the fact that you may never meet him face to face let alone train with him. There are 1,000s of different styles with their own black belt requirements. If one feels like they earned a black belt under this gentlemen by buying his video then so be it. Most of us on here have trained hard for years and get the satisfaction of going home sore and humilated... I have videos myself, but would never use them without being shown the form/technique by my master first. This is America, what makes a black belt these days anyway?

Good post. Alot of good points here. I've said the same thing about tapes. What good are they if you dont know what the hell is going on??? They should be used as a refer. point, not to solely learn from.

As for what makes a BB? Well, IMO, its something that should be earned after putting in many hours and years inot hard work! It should be something that you earn, not something that is handed to you without you having to do anything for it.

Mike

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Bald Bob said:

The students, no (aside from the bufoons who believe they can actuallt obtain a legitimate kenpo black belt through the mail). People make their own choices from among the options they percieve as being available to them, and should be invited to continue to do so. My wish is that enough of the population has the discretionary intelligence to not look at dung, and declare it a diamond. Remember: The emporer was naked.

His methods? Absolutely. As a chiropractor in a state where long-overdue insurance and work comp changes cut deeply into the incomes of pseudo-docs like myself, I am already looking into alternatives for making a living; I live meagerly, and cannot even afford a window-box air conditioner in the middle of a withering So Cal heat wave. In the midst of this state of financial need and re-definition, selling black belt certifications over the internet has not even entered my mind as an option; it is a blatant act of disrespect to folks who have spent years training with warm bodies.

Video students. I have, for example, rolled with Royce, Rorion, and Rickson Gracie. I have also seen the instructional video sets, which makes excellent reference resources for the basics. There is no way in Hades that the two are comparable. The second-to-second feedback gained verbally and kinesthetically is the communications vehicle for probably 80-90% of the information transferred during training.

I have watched video of Mr. Parker demonstrating 5 swords on someone, and have been the dummy on whom he demonstrated 5 swords. Not comparable. You can spend years in a kenpo school, and not really get "it", until being schooled, in person, by a senior (I have a buddy who trained with Mr. Parker for several years, after already having trained in kenpo for 25+ years. Said he learned more about kenpo in the couple seconds Mr. Parker used him as a demo dummy, then in the entire previous 25 years). How much more so would the differences be between video and warm-body instruction?

My major point is this, simply put:
1. The world has kenpo black belts in it - from many lineages - who worked their butts off, getting the snot knocked out of them and committing hundreds-to-thousands of hours to achieve a level of skill commensurate with the rank and title of American Kenpo Black Belt, as set forth by the expectations of Mr. Parker and his 'disciples' (the inner circle of a dozen or so of his most senior students, of which Mr. Roman was not part.)

2. Mr. Roman offers, on his website, a kenpo black belt with black belt certificate, for a little under a grand. The way it's presented on the website is that, you send him the money, and he'll send you the certificate. No mention of video-testing (as in Karate Connection); no mention of private lessons to support this magical evolution from tapeworm to butterfly; just some assertions about how he would rather see you not spend your money with a low quality school, so he'll send you your BB immediately (where is the quality in that?).

3. This cheapens the meaning of an AK black belt. It sends the signal to the public that a black belt in AK means nothing, and while that may be true for those purchased from Mr. Roman, it is not true for those who have invested many years of their lives in training to perfect, or even decently understand, the complexities of a system as sophisticated and intricate as Ed Parkers Kenpo Karate. It demeans the memory of the life work of a man who strove to create a system that meant something, representing the top of the heap where logic meets martial arts. If Chief Roman were, indeed, a Parker senior, with Native American honour, he would have been too ashamed to make this repulsive offer to the public. If he wants to do it with Red Cloud or Adrian Roman's Kenpo Karate, more power to him, but leave Parker's name out of the marketing press. It is a gross and blatant misrepresentation of Mr Parkers system requirements. I observed a couple black belt tests with Mr. Parker on the panel, and while he remained congenial at all times, I assure you that the quality of performance and understanding that could be expected from a video black belt bought over the internet would NEVER pass even the most minimal muster for purple belt, much less black.

One thing this and similar threads have done for me: I used to bump into people from less stringent, less sophisticated systems who would relate how they had whooped some kenpo BB's heiny in a brawl, and watching the speaker move, would wonder how they managed to feed themselves, much less beat a kenpo black belt. Now, however, I get it. They beat an over-the-web video black belt, bought from persons as shockingly opportunistic as the Chief.

I don't need to see his teaching & promotion methods. He has posted them on his website for all to see: You send him the cash, and he sells you the rank. Call me stupid and mean spirited if you must, but that's a crock of sh** if I ever saw one.

Dave

PS -- When Mr. Parker passed, there were many "grabs for the throne" of kenpo, left palpably vacant. Myriad kenpo associations developed almost overnight, with 2nd degree black belts writing up articles of association that granted them much higher ranks. A standing practice seemed to be to send existing black belts advanced rank certificates, with the idea being that, the more people one could get actively under the auspices of their own organization, the more clout that organization would have in the melee. Myself and several acquaintences started recieving letter packages with rank certificates several degrees above current status, accompanied by invitations to join such and such association. Some took the advancements (one even leveraged his membership until he was sent a certificate advancing him from 3rd degree, to 7th...posted them all on his office wall so it looks like he has many many black belts from a plethora of groups). I literally used the invites and certs to line the bottom of my parrot's cage, took polaroids, and sent them back to the associations. Had I held on to them, and remained active within the by-laws of the association(s), I could have been a freaking 10th by now. That would mean I knew more about -- and was better at -- kenpo then many of the esteemed seniors who've been ACTIVELY in it since before I was born. That would make me an equal and/or superior to guys like Tatum, White, Ch...something or other..., Conaster, Labounty, and many others who could wipe the floors with me effortlessly. Pretentious and obscene? Yup. Much like Romans belt-for-money offer.

Sometimes an extended learning opportunity is an extended learning opportunity. Other times, a lie is just a lie.

Regards,

D.

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Interesting idea: I recieved a private e-mail about my use of phrases regarding the passage of time, "since before I was born", and similar. I use this "verbal tic" on purpose to illustrate something very applicable to this thread. Generations have passed, and been replaced while people have studied kenpo. Guys I never heard of before Mr. Parkers passing have started kenpo, and risen to respected positions under the tutelage of better-known and obscure seniors. If guys live 15-40+ years in kenpo to obtain their position, how absolutely insane is it that some yahoo is going to buy it in a cracker-jack box, and hold himself out as being on par with the real McCoy's? In the time it takes for shipping & handling to be processed?

Sickened,

D.