Another excellent use of self defense principles

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
A pair of lowlifes tried to force a 95 year old man into his house so they could get down to some serious crime. He refused. They ran.

It brings home a couple very important self defense guidelines.

1. Take your stand early. The longer you wait the worse it gets. The earlier you interrupt the plan the less he has invested in finishing it.
  2. Get the bad guys in a position where they are not sure what to do. Most criminals have some sort of plan. If they can't read from the script they don't know what to do.
  3. Someone who shows you a weapon isn't usually going to kill you right at that moment. Maybe he will two seconds from now. But right at the moment he's trying to instill fear.
  4. Never ever no way no how not on your freaking life allow yourself to be taken to a secondary crime scene. If someone's going to kill you make him do it out in front of G-d and the neighbors. You can't improve your situation by giving him the time and privacy he wants to get creative with the duct tape and pliers and blowtorch. (That's one of the very few iron rules we have for self defense)

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
A pair of lowlifes tried to force a 95 year old man into his house so they could get down to some serious crime. He refused. They ran.

It brings home a couple very important self defense guidelines.
  1. Take your stand early. The longer you wait the worse it gets. The earlier you interrupt the plan the less he has invested in finishing it.
  2. Get the bad guys in a position where they are not sure what to do. Most criminals have some sort of plan. If they can't read from the script they don't know what to do.
  3. Someone who shows you a weapon isn't usually going to kill you right at that moment. Maybe he will two seconds from now. But right at the moment he's trying to instill fear.
  4. Never ever no way no how not on your freaking life allow yourself to be taken to a secondary crime scene. If someone's going to kill you make him do it out in front of G-d and the neighbors. You can't improve your situation by giving him the time and privacy he wants to get creative with the duct tape and pliers and blowtorch. (That's one of the very few iron rules we have for self defense)

good for the 95 year old.
icon14.gif

and Yup that about covers it.

What I find interesting parallel to Martial Arts is that in Sanda and Xingyiquan (and other arts as well)

Take your stand early. The longer you wait the worse it gets. The earlier you interrupt the plan the less he has invested in finishing it.

This is how you basically stop an attack or defeat you attacker; attack the attack and interrupt it before it finishes

Guardian

Black Belt
Reaction score
Good advice abounds here and stopping the attack with an attack has always been drilled into me in most situations, doesn't always have to be physical either as this gentleman proved.

newGuy12

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Great story, Tellner, and a FANTASTIC commentary! Especially rule #4! If someone is going to kill me, they will kill me here! And now!

If any one of us is ever put into a life and death situation, may we counter it with focus and survive!

newGuy12

Master of Arts
Reaction score
This is how you basically stop an attack or defeat you attacker; attack the attack and interrupt it before it finishes

I hope that an Aikido person can comment on this. There is a principle of "entering". That is much like "beating someone to the punch" as I understand it. The bokken is risen by the attacker, but... BAM! ---------> Right through the center, the defender punches. Done correctly, it is a finishing blow (enough). It is not a simple jab.

This seems to be essentially rule #1.

morph4me

Goin' with the flow
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I hope that an Aikido person can comment on this. There is a principle of "entering". That is much like "beating someone to the punch" as I understand it. The bokken is risen by the attacker, but... BAM! ---------> Right through the center, the defender punches. Done correctly, it is a finishing blow (enough). It is not a simple jab.

This seems to be essentially rule #1.

I don't want to hijack this thread, but if you post it in the aikido forum I'm sure you'll get your answers

JadeDragon3

Black Belt
Reaction score
I have found that most muggers/robbers don't expect thier victims to fight back thats why they try to seek out ones they think are weak. My advice is to appear strong and confident and don't give in to them (unless they have a gun). If they are going to kill you make them do it out in the open. Best think is to yell really lousd to attract attention. This should make them want to get the heck out of there.

Latest Discussions