Systema or Krav Maga ?

TKDJUDO

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I've been reading up on Wikipedia about the difference between Krav Maga and Systema, and both arts seem to be the same :duh:. All I really know about these two arts is that they teach self-defense tactics in tight spaces, which can be used in real-life situations. The difference, one is russian, and the other is israeli.

Now, if I plan on trying out one of these arts, how would I know which one's which? Can anyone give me their expertees and explain to me the differences between these arts. I'm confused:uhoh:

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've spent a little time reading, but one of the best things I did was look at youtube. Do a search on "krav maga" and "systema". You should find a few introductory clips. Visiting the local training hall as an observer or taking a few comp classes should prove insightful too. Perhaps talk with the instructors.

You can also get some good info from experts that visit this site. I've so far only been an observer of Systema and KM, but if I ever get lucky enough to find someone local, that will change :)

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My understanding is that KM is a simple system based on relatively few techniques, inspired principally by boxing, judo and jujutsu, and experimentation, oriented toward close-quarter aggressive self-defense in a weapon-rich environment. It's strictly defined and very hard.

My understanding is that Systema is a physical education based movement system with no or very few formal technqiues that attempts to develop your own reactions and instincts into a means of self-defense (like developing your own personal SPEAR system). It's highly individual and very soft.

Both are physically exhausting and come from recent military experiementation and use. It looks to me that KM is the proven quantity but I know people in real life who swear by Systema. I wish I knew more about it; KM strikes me as just another way of applying the JKD appraoch to a different set of base moves (e.g., no Wing Chun in the mic).

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, My vote goes to Krav Maga, and the second vote Systema, do you have a third choice?

Aloha, Please check out JUDO too....?

Klondike93

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I can't speak for Krav Maga as I don't study the art, but Systema is based on natural movement, breathing, form and relaxation. It can be soft like Aikido but also hard like Goju Ryu (sp?), there are lot's of exercises used to devlop tendon strength and breathing.

Remi Lessore

White Belt
Reaction score
Which art would you say is more street-effective ?
All I can say is that effectiveness is the beginning and end of krav maga.
There are not many Israelis as compared with their enemies and the art was conceived first and foremost for their preservation. Whatever the benefits of systema, I don't think it was devised under the same stringent constraints.

towknee

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Perhaps don't focus on "better" or differences.
Do them both or do either. Both are excellent. Both can make, and keep, you very fit. Both can give you excellent practical experience of real contact.

I believe that if you commit to the training, regardless of the style, you will be rewarded.

Luck.

Mark Jakabcsin

Green Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Which art would you say is more street-effective ?

Sorry but arts are not street-effective. People are or are not street effective. At the moment of truth it is only you; no rank, no belt, no trophy, no dojo technique, no head gear, no gloves, nothing but you.

How will you handle the pressure at that moment? How will you handle the fear at that moment? When you look inside your attacker's eyes and see his intent to cause you great harm, how will react? What will be YOUR emotion and response to his intent? During training your art may or may not tell you it's version of the ideal response is but at that moment none of that will matter.....as it will be only you. You can have all of the technique and ability in the world but it can all be for not at that moment of truth if the answers to the questions above are not positive.

How does each art prepare the individual to study these questions? How does the art challenge each student to study fear, if at all? How does each art prepare the student for the emotional stress at the moment of truth?

No easy answers to any of these, just something to consider as you explore your options. Best of luck.

Take care,

Mark J.

Doc_Jude

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Sorry but arts are not street-effective. People are or are not street effective. At the moment of truth it is only you; no rank, no belt, no trophy, no dojo technique, no head gear, no gloves, nothing but you.

How will you handle the pressure at that moment? How will you handle the fear at that moment? When you look inside your attacker's eyes and see his intent to cause you great harm, how will react? What will be YOUR emotion and response to his intent? During training your art may or may not tell you it's version of the ideal response is but at that moment none of that will matter.....as it will be only you. You can have all of the technique and ability in the world but it can all be for not at that moment of truth if the answers to the questions above are not positive.

How does each art prepare the individual to study these questions? How does the art challenge each student to study fear, if at all? How does each art prepare the student for the emotional stress at the moment of truth?

No easy answers to any of these, just something to consider as you explore your options. Best of luck.

Take care,

Mark J.

Blah.

Mark Jakabcsin

Green Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I visit Southern California 2 or 3 times a year on business, if you wish to discuss further please post a real name and location. Furthermore there are very solid Systema instructors in Southern Cali if you have immediate personal questions.

MJ

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
Furthermore there are very solid Systema instructors in Southern Cali if you have immediate personal questions.

MJ

This one sounds like a winner to me. If you have access to both then you are very fortunate. I suggest you go to the schools you are looking at and watch some classes. This will be a better indicator than asking for our opinion.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
One thing particularly with Krav Maga is that you need to look into the instructor's background. Many, many people received a Krav Maga instructorship after taking a weekend course. There are however quite a few good Krav Maga instructors out there but understand that not all are created equal.

Personally I enjoy training every now and then with Krav Maga.

Systema looks very familiar to Budo Taijutsu on several levels but my experience is only an occasional training with a friend.

Good luck and look around!
icon6.gif

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
I would also say that you must remember that Krav Maga is a "troop style" in that it is limited in technique and intended to make up for that with aggression and extreme violence. it was intended to be tought in a minimum of time to conscripted troops and police. It was NEVER intended to be an answer to unarmed combat ageist a trained Martial artist in a traditional system of combat.

Bodhisattva

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I've been reading up on Wikipedia about the difference between Krav Maga and Systema, and both arts seem to be the same :duh:. All I really know about these two arts is that they teach self-defense tactics in tight spaces, which can be used in real-life situations. The difference, one is russian, and the other is israeli.

Now, if I plan on trying out one of these arts, how would I know which one's which? Can anyone give me their expertees and explain to me the differences between these arts. I'm confused:uhoh:

If you want functional self defense in tight quarters, try a good MMA school. If you don't have one in your area, you should check out the vids available at www.straightblastgym.com

Doc_Jude

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Well put Mark J.

One can only hope that ignorant Doc_ person listens to your advice

Hahahaha! :boing1: Yeah, I know. That Doc_ guys is so ignorant. I hope he gets teh Systema someday.

BTW, if you want an honest assessment of Systema, check out the extensive rogering that Systema received over at ********* I'd provide a direct link, but MT's filters are so retarded that I can't w/o burning more midnight oil than I'm willing to.
Look HERE.

Mark Jakabcsin

Green Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Honest assessments are done in person, with sweat and bruises. Hiding behind a keyboard and a fake name has zero honesty to it. It is easy to be an Internet warrior where you are safe and do not have to demonstrate......anything. Check out Martin in L.A. then come back and give your assessment.

MJ

Latest Discussions