Anger and self-defense

Anger while I'm practicing/competing ...

• Helps me

• Hinders me

• Don't know

• No difference

Results are only viewable after voting.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Still learning I have been stabbed and jumped before and was able to control the stituation without getting angry got madd yes but not angry, maybe we have a different way of looking at anger. We will just have to dis-agree on this one. Still I'm enjoying the converatation
Terry

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
still learning said:
Yes! but there are many types of anger? Study this? The loose cannons will not be able to think clearly...this we all can agree? ..but have you had the type the makes you mad..but decide I will do it? Anger has many faces....and not only one type? /read the book "Strong on Defense"!

Staying in control and calm in a dangerous situtions is not easy? Especially when it is unexpected? Most of the time fear and adrenline will kick in? this is the natural respone for most people?

One can tell ? ..you may have not experience being attack, or in very high volatile situtions before? It is easy to say "be calm"

In real situtions? ....most schools do not teach real life adrenline/fear fighting back skills..and reactions? ....until you have face a high volatile situtions and can say you were calm and could think clearly as you feel everyday ....than I am wrong?

As much fights "Marc the Animal MacYoung" has been in...he always get the adrenline rush....but experience gets him out of most troubles.

Anger is a tool which if you know how to use? ..can work for you? ....study this.....

example: As a part-time Sercuity Officer..we ask people to leave (nicely)..sometimes they talk back or get mad at you...I will ask three times Please you must leave? ...the fourth time...I change my voice to a angerly tone...Just move out of here?(face expression too) ....usually works because they think I am getting Mad! ..... sai-call-a-la-G! ...Aloha ...sometimes we may not understand...that is OK!

I think part of it is, is that some people may not be able to control their anger. Once the situation is over, people need to be able to 'turn the switch' off, and not continue to beat the person.

As hard as it is, IMO, staying calm is the way to go. Many times people will intentionally 'egg' you on, so that you lose control. If we think about it, at that point, we're really no better than the other person.

The moral of the story is, it is a tool that when handled properly can be a help to us. If its not handled properly, it is a tool that can be used against us.

Mike

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
Still learning I have been stabbed and jumped before and was able to control the stituation without getting angry got madd yes but not angry, maybe we have a different way of looking at anger. We will just have to dis-agree on this one. Still I'm enjoying the converatation
Terry

Thank-you....Now I have to research getting "mad" vs getting "angry

Mad means insane,frenzied? vs angry means stormy,inflamed, American Century Dictionary, paper back 1996.

I am glad you were mad at that person because if you were angry....the sitution could have been different? .....just playing here...Aloha

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
still learning said:
Thank-you....Now I have to research getting "mad" vs getting "angry

Mad means insane,frenzied? vs angry means stormy,inflamed, American Century Dictionary, paper back 1996.

I am glad you were mad at that person because if you were angry....the sitution could have been different? .....just playing here...Aloha

Still Learning I just love the way you put everything.
Your Martial Art Brother
Terry

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Void (Where still, this merciless GOD torme
Trying to decipher definitions is Maddening! Now, I'm getting angry!
icon7.gif

I agree as well, well stated still learning.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hand Sword said:
Trying to decipher definitions is Maddening! Now, I'm getting angry!
icon7.gif

I agree as well, well stated still learning.

Maddening:annoying,infuriating,offensive,(disturbing)-Webster's New World Thesaurus.

Iran's Nuclear plant is maddening our President. One day George will get angry, and "Kaboom." .........Aloha

Brandon Fisher

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
In a real life situation anger is a bad thing. Anger can help if you can control it but when pure emotion gets in the way you can't think and react well. Keeping a cool and even temperment will help you react quickly and effectively. Fear is enough of a hinderance you don't need anger also.

Slihn

Purple Belt
Reaction score
shesulsa said:
Whenever I've struck something in anger - sheer, frustrated, blinding anger, I've always injured myself and I want to know how you folks feel about anger and whether it helps you or hinders you?

Ive seen that kinda anger in action before;my wife does the same thing.One time she got really mad and punched a soild wooden door.She hit it so hard that injuried into her hand,later that night she said that her hand felt numb and tingley I took her to the hospital and we found out that she had actually punched her knuckle back into her hand.She does that kind of thing quite often,when ever she cools off we both laugh about it together though.

As for me,I learned(through training) how to (better) control my anger.When fighting an opponet,I have noticed that anger makes me over emphasize (telegrahing) my techniques,which make them highly perdictable.Also anger makes me very tired after that aderline rush is over.

If anger for me is unavoidable(while fighting) I manipulate it and instead of bursting out with attacks,I use it to refuel my stamnia.

Anger and fear are probaly the two biggest factors that clouds people's judgement.Anger often makes people to rash and reckless;leaping into situation without thought;and fear often makes a person to passive.Those are just my thoughts in the issue.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, This "anger" in us is not easy to explain. There are all kinds and types...most of you think of those who lose it to a degree....

The anger I am trying to explain is use to get you to fight back..with feelings of not wanted to become a victim anymore. Use it as a motivator...in those stressful/fearful situtions when you are under attack by a preditor. You will gain the "killer instinct" or mind set...to resist and fight back. Therefold getting mad/anger...in these times...maybe the only thing that may save your life.

Most of us will not be calm,relax, and ready to go....fear and stress...will be on your minds.....hundreds of things will be flowing thru you head...Know the difference on getting mad/anger. Happiness ..there is more than one kind too.

Happy to share this....(not happy if you do not understand what I am trying to share here..)....I will be happier...when you do....

"ah" nothing like feeling happy.....the anger is gone! ....Aloha

Ross

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hand Sword said:
Angry, but, Focussed is a good way to go.

Hand Sword - you arent a dark lord of the sith by any chance? :jediduel:

Fear leads to anger,
Anger leads to hate,
Hate leads to suffering!

Aruden

White Belt
Reaction score
Dunno if it has been said before but this is what I do:

I don't rely on anger when I'm fighting. It's more of a survival instinct what Paul Vunak calls the "Killer Instinct". While you're out of the opponent's reach just punching and kicking you can be relaxed and just "playing". But when the real fight begins, when you're in the opponent arms trapping, clinching, straightblasting, kneeing, elbowing or headbutting that's where your Killer Instinct tunes in and give you this motivation, this "anger" or destructive force and survival skill you need to defeat the opponent quickly. I think that when you're fighting you must never consider yourself lost,disadvantaged you must continue to fight till the end. This may sound a bit extreme but that's the fighter spirit IMO.

Latest Discussions