An ESCRIMA - KENPO Summer Camp

D

DoctorB

An Escrima - Kenpo Summer Camp
Buffalo, New York area - July 13 & 14, 2002

Good Day to All,

I would like to announce that I will be hosting An Escrima & Kenpo Summer Camp on Saturday and Sunday, July 13 & 14 at Erie Community College - North Campus, Williamsville, NY.
The featured guest instructors will be:

Punong Guro Tom Bolden - Chief Instructor, American Modern Arnis and Pancipanci Eskrima

Shihan Ernie McPeek - Chief Instructor, International Schools of Self Defense - Tracy System Kenpo

Sensei Joe Rebello - Chief Instructor, Rebello's Kenpo Karate Academy - American Kenpo

There wil be a total of 8 training segments over the two days with morning and afternoon sessions. The fee structure will be $175 for both days, payable before July 11; $200 at the door, single day admission $100. Group rates are availible upon request.

Additional information about accomedations will be presented early next week when we have completed the arrangements for a group rate at a local hotel. Please e-mail any questions to me at <[email protected]>

Jerome Barber, Ed.D.

OP
G

GouRonin

Originally posted by kenpo3631 Sir,
What aspects of American Kenpo are being taught? :asian:

Yeah, what he said...
:D

OP
R

Rob_Broad

What a special rate for the Canadians that might attend.

OP
D

DoctorB

Originally posted by kenpo3631

Sir,

Sensei Rebello, has not determined that as of last night when we excahnged e-mails, but he will get that information to me within a week or so and I will share it with the group.

OP
D

DoctorB

Originally posted by Bonehead

What a special rate for the Canadians that might attend.

That can be arranged, write me privately so that we can determine what we need to work out because of the exchange rate between American and Canadian dollars.

<[email protected]>

warder

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Will this camp be open to beginners to these arts? Or is experience necessary to attend?

OP
D

DoctorB

Originally posted by warder

Will this camp be open to beginners to these arts? Or is experience necessary to attend?

The camp is open to any and all interested people without regard for experience or style. We are offering an open training opportunity that will allow everyone to see and experience how Escrima/ Arnis and Kenpo/Kempo can and in some cases has been blended to establish a seamless art that can be taught under either name.

PG Bolden has nearly 40 years of training experience in Pancipanci Eskrima, CHA-3 Kenpo and Modern Arnis as his primary arts. Sensei Joe Rebello, is an established recognized Kenpo player in New England and trained under the late GM Ed Parker on several ocassions and he has nearly 25 years of experience in the art plus a background in several Filipino Arts. Shihan Ernie McPeek, is the senior Kenpo player in Western New York and has been training for about 35 years. He has both Judo and Jiu-jitsu training as well. I am the neophyte within the group, having trained for only 23 years; my background is in Tracy System Kenpo and Modern Arnis - I was cross trained in both from white belt through 3rd degree Black Belt, under Sensei Don Zanghi, Shihan McPeek and the late Professor Presas. I am also the only Modern Arnis Certified Advanced Instructor, to recieve *written* appoval for a college curriculum from Professor Presas. He signed off on my program in April, 1989. My college instructional program has been operational since 1987. I will conduct a seminar on the Spyerco Gunting Knife as a self defense hand tool at the camp.

I hope that you will join us in this summer camp training program.

Jerome Barber, Ed.D.

OP
D

DoctorB

Originally posted by kenpo3631

Sir,

Dear Kenpo 3631,

I can provide you with the following update on the Escrima-Kenpo that will be held on July 13 and 13 in Buffalo, NY.

Good Day to All,

The latest news regarding the Escrima-Kenpo Camp in Buffalo,
is as follows:

PG Tom Bolden has chosen the theme, "Hawaiian Eskrima, Hawaiian Kenpo - Making the Connections for Self Defense".

"Kenpo Joe" Rebelo, will focus on "American Kenpo: Utilizing the Single and Double Knife Tactics."

I will be teaching "Espada Y Daga and Empty Hand Translations for Self defense."

As soon as Shihan McPeek and I can get past playing phone tag, I will make an announcement on his topic(s).

Also for udated information on the fee schedule, please check out the thread: Update on the Escrima-Kenpo Summer Camp, within this area under the arts.

Jerome Barber, Ed.D.

OP
D

DoctorB

The Escrrima - Kenpo Summer Camp is open to any and all interested people without regard for experience or style. We are offering an open training opportunity that will allow everyone to see and experience how Escrima/ Arnis and Kenpo/Kempo can and in some cases have been blended to establish a seamless art that can be taught under either name.

PG Bolden has nearly 40 years of training experience in Pancipanci Eskrima, CHA-3 Kenpo and Modern Arnis as his primary arts. He was awarded the title of "Senior Master" at the Kenpo Gathering of Eagles, in 2001. He is the Senior Teacher of the Pancipanci System of Eskrima, a family art that he learned directly from Master Florintino Pancipanci, as a closed door student, in Hawaii, during the 1960's and 70's.

Sensei Joe Rebello, is an established recognized Kenpo player in New England and trained under the late GM Ed Parker on several ocassions and he has nearly 25 years of experience in the art plus a background in several Filipino Arts.

Shihan Ernie McPeek, is the senior Kenpo player in Western New York and has been training for about 35 years. He has both Judo and Jiu-jitsu training as well. He is the senior instructor and highest ranking Kenpo practicioner in the Western NY area. He is the owner-operator of 2 very successful schools (Lockport & Batavia, NY). He is also the represntative of the Tracy Organization within the area.

I am the neophyte within the group, having trained for only 23 years; my background is in Tracy System Kenpo and Modern Arnis - I was cross trained in both from white belt through 3rd degree Black Belt, under Sensei Don Zanghi, Shihan McPeek and the late Professor Presas. I am also the only Modern Arnis Certified Advanced Instructor, to receive *written* appoval for a college curriculum from Professor Presas. He signed off on my program in April, 1989. My college instructional program has been operational since 1987.

I would like to advise the MartialTalk.com members of the following updates for the Escrima-Kenpo Summer Camp, to be held on Saturday, July 12 and Sunday July 14.

The training site will be at Erie Community College - North Campus Gymnasium, 6205 Main Street, Williamsville, NY
(a suburb of Buffalo, NY).

The training sessions will be held at 9:30am to 12:30pm and 2pm to 5pm on both days. There will be 2 instructors on the floor during each of sessions.

The instructor's initial presentaions are as follows:

Punong Guro TOM BOLDEN
Pancipanci Eskrima & American Modern Arnis;
He will cover the transitions/translations of single stick self defense applications to empty hand applications and the connections between Hawaiian based Eskrima and CHA-3 Kenpo.

Shihan ERNEST McPEEK
Tracy System Kenpo & Kenpo Goshin Jitsu;
Will cover the traditional Kenpo-Jiu-jitsu interplay as taught in Hawaii and then modified on the mainland in the 1960's to first Parker and later Tracy Kenpo.

Shihan JOSEPH (Kenpo Joe) REBELLO
American Kenpo Karate;
Will present the American Kenpo Single and Double Knife tactics for both defensive and counter-attacking modalities.

Dr. JEROME BARBER
Paradigm Escrima-Kenpo & Int'l Modern Arnis;
I will present a seminar session on the Largo Mano or long range single stick fighting. If time allows I will also add a segment on the stick and dagger combination from the largo mano perspective. I will also teach a segment on the empty hand self defense that incorperates upper and lower body un-balancing tactics.

Cost: $175 paid before July 11 **
$200 payable at the Door
$100 for a Single Day Pass
Group Rates Availible on Request

**Early Bird Special Discount**
$50 deposit before July 1, pay a balance of $100 at the door
for both days admission.

For more camp information, Group Rates and/or Accomodations information contact me directly via e-mail at:
<[email protected]>

or by surface mail:
Dr. Jerome Barber
Suite 230, 5999 South Park Avenue
Hamburg, NY 14075

I am looking forward to meeting some of you at this camp.

Jerome Barber, Ed.D.

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Originally posted by DoctorB
"Kenpo Joe" Rebelo, will focus on "American Kenpo: Utilizing the Single and Double Knife Tactics."

Man, I dunno..... last time I saw Joe he cut himself shaving! :rofl:

:asian:

OP
R

RCastillo

Originally posted by Goldendragon7

Man, that was "Cold Blooded", even for an AK guy!:eek:

OP
D

DoctorB

Originally posted by RCastillo

Man, that was "Cold Blooded", even for an AK guy!:eek:

Maybe Joe has since learned how to shave without cutting himself, you never know... or maybe he can't handle safety razors; but then, knives could be an entirely different matter! In any event, that is what Kenpo Joe, put forward as his seminar topic. BTW have either of you ever cut yourselves while shaving? ;-)

I will be doing a short segment on the Gunting Knife at the Escrima-Kenpo Camp. It is a very interesting folding tool that was designed to used CLOSED, 85% of the time. It has signicant impact and locking potentials and can be opened via kinetic energy in the midst of a confrontation.

Some dedicated and innovative Kenpo people just might be interested in the potentials of the Gunting Knife. When added to some of the Kenpo self defense that I utilize in my teaching programs, the Gunting Knife has added a great deal of power and effectiveness without any sacrifices in efficiency.

BTW, if anyone offers to train you in the use of the Gunting Knife, please make sure that they/you will be using the RED HANDLE training drone!!! The black handle, live blade version of the Gunting is too sharp and people will get cut trying to train with it!! Train smart and train safe!

Jerome Barber, Ed.D.

OP
S

Scott Bonner

Do you have a picture of this gunting knife to post, or know a website? I'm unfamiliar with it and want to know more. A visual will help a lot.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Try here:
http://karateworld.safeshopper.com/51/140.htm?242

As Dr. Barber indicates, the red handled knife is a trainer (no edge) and the black handled knife is the real thing. Search on:

+"Bram Frank" +gunting

at www.yahoo.com for more pictures. I got to play with both the trainer and the real deal when I assisted at Mr. Hartman's recent Mano Y Daga knife-fighting seminar at Marty Noel's school in Rochester; Mr. Noel had both. It's an interesting knife with some real possibilities. The bump containing the hole in those pictures can be used in locks for additional pain whether the blade is open or closed, and can be used to open it as part of a blocking technique, for example.

OP
D

DoctorB

Originally posted by arnisador

Try here:
http://karateworld.safeshopper.com/51/140.htm?242

As Dr. Barber indicates, the red handled knife is a trainer (no edge) and the black handled knife is the real thing. Search on:

+"Bram Frank" +gunting

at www.yahoo.com for more pictures. I got to play with both the trainer and the real deal when I assisted at Mr. Hartman's recent Mano Y Daga knife-fighting seminar at Marty Noel's school in Rochester; Mr. Noel had both. It's an interesting knife with some real possibilities. The bump containing the hole in those pictures can be used in locks for additional pain whether the blade is open or closed, and can be used to open it as part of a blocking technique, for example.

Hello Arnisador,

Thanks for the aditional information on the Gunting. I demoed the Gunting for Marty at a previous seminar on the knife that he hosted in March. In fact, Marty, purchased his training drone and live blades after my presentation.

There is also information posted on the web site at:

<www.guntingseminars.com>

There are photos of the trainer and live blade in addition there are a couple of text messages written by Guro (Sensei) Bram Frank, the knife designer. I have developed an introductory seminar program for the Gunting which covers Empty Hand, Pocket Stick and Gunting Knife Transitions.

Jerome Barber, Ed.D.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks, that's a much better picture and description than the one I found. Mr. Noel was very taken with the Gunting blade--you must have made quite an impression on him!

OP
D

DoctorB

Originally posted by arnisador

Thanks, that's a much better picture and description than the one I found. Mr. Noel was very taken with the Gunting blade--you must have made quite an impression on him!

In all honesty, the Gunting "makes" the impression. It is a wonderful tool and it has great potential. All that is really needed is a person with good foundational training in his/her particular art and some imagination. I really enjoy teaching people how to use the Gunting as an impact and locking tool. That is where this knife deviates from virtually all others on the market.

If you would like to spend some time with me and work with the Gunting, just drop me a line at <[email protected]>
I would be very happy to give you an opportunity to handle the tool and discover how it might be helpful to you.

Last night one of my training partners told me about an incident that he had on Sunday night and how effective the Gunting was for him in a real time situation. He used both the impact and locking features to bring a nasty fellow under control. When the police arrived on the scene, one of the responding officers expressed a very strong interest in the Gunting and he has already contacted me about doing a demonstration of the tool for his patrol unit and agency training officers, because he was quite impressed with the results that he saw.

The nasty guy was well known to the local police and he has almost never been "bested" in a confrontation, but this time when the police arrived, the nasty guy was face down in the dirt,
being held in a thumb lock, with a knee pressing down on his face. The two very clear impact bruises on his chest and the "chewed up" thumb bruise were ample evidence that Nasty Guy had come out on the very short end of this encounter.

I would love to tell you that my partner came away unscathed, but that would not be the truth; however when he countered with the Gunting, the confrontation ended with just two strikes, a lock and takedown.

It really is the power of the tool, combined with training that makes the Gunting a very valuble tool. BTW, my training partner used the live blade, not the trainer and there is a considerable difference in the locking potential and pain complience factors between the two.

Jerome Barber, Ed.D.

kenpo3631

Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Goldendragon7

Single and double knife aye?!? Hmmm, I got to agree with Mr. C on that on....

Isn't knowing the base system a pre requisite prior to filleting yourself with a knife?!!!?:confused: