Americans Leaving America

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I wouldn't mind looking abroad, but as far as I can tell, web-geek and photographer are low-want's for other nations.

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It's unrealistic for me to really do, but I can say I've entertained the thought.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm entertaining the thought after my pleasent interlude in Hawaii. It's all about marketability. My advice is that if you are looking to move to this or that country, see where your skill set falls and do the work you need to do in order to adapt what you have to what they need.

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I'm entertaining the thought after my pleasent interlude in Hawaii. It's all about marketability. My advice is that if you are looking to move to this or that country, see where your skill set falls and do the work you need to do in order to adapt what you have to what they need.

OH SURE just THROW Hawaii in my face again :D

I'm really not considering it but if push comes to shove I might have to.

I just found it interesting that the very day they start talking lay offs and my wife says I could always get a job in China I come across that article.

EDIT:

And just this morning I was joking about moving to Norway, who knew :D

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I would leave for the right country and the right career opportunity.

I even volunteered to leave my current company, but they told me that I am not that lucky and that the pain is not over yet.

Oh Well, one never knows.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
OH SURE just THROW Hawaii in my face again :D

I'm really not considering it but if push comes to shove I might have to.

I just found it interesting that the very day they start talking lay offs and my wife says I could always get a job in China I come across that article.

EDIT:

And just this morning I was joking about moving to Norway, who knew :D

I'm really enjoying the pacific islands right now. The beaches, the laid back atmosphere, the natural beauty...

...its quite a change from the ice and snow...

I can't wait to talk about this in February!

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm really enjoying the pacific islands right now. The beaches, the laid back atmosphere, the natural beauty...

...its quite a change from the ice and snow...

I can't wait to talk about this in February!

yep that's when ALL of us who live in cold countries come and visit you rofl! :ultracool

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

If I could speak the language and find a good place to live in an not to overly crowed area I would consider moving. However, my wife would most likely frown upon the idea. I would love to just be able to teach my art anywhere and make a living from it
Is the south considered a different country? :angel: there she would go but I can not understand most of her relatives so I would have to learn the language. :uhyeah:

jkembry

Black Belt
Reaction score
Having spent the first 12 years of my career in the Navy abroad, I would have no problems with moving and working abroad. As much as I Love the U. S. and all it stands for, I do believe that other countries have better conditions for employment. I found this to be especially true in Europe. I can speak for other areas of the world since I haven't spent as much time there...but working in Europe would be fine with me.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I would love to move to Peurto Rico and will as soon as those damm inlaws move there. My wife has already said when her Mama goes we can too. We already have a house and a little business with here relatives, plus ai can open a school down there as well. I would love canada except one thing isn't chew around there someplace?

jkembry

Black Belt
Reaction score
I would love to move to Peurto Rico and will as soon as those damm inlaws move there. My wife has already said when her Mama goes we can too. We already have a house and a little business with here relatives, plus ai can open a school down there as well. I would love canada except one thing isn't chew around there someplace?

Cool...I spent 3 1/2 years in Puerto Rico...and with the exception of a couple of hurricanes had a great time. The fishing back then (late 70's - early 80's) and the food was GREAT. If you need a live in house-keeper let me know...I will work for food and training.:wink2:

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Cool...I spent 3 1/2 years in Puerto Rico...and with the exception of a couple of hurricanes had a great time. The fishing back then (late 70's - early 80's) and the food was GREAT. If you need a live in house-keeper let me know...I will work for food and training.:wink2:

You know JK we go every year in March for a tournament and it is the most wonderful two weeks, If you are ever there when I am you and anybody else would have a place to train and stay.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
It's an idea that's been rolling around in my head for a while. Not ready to act upon it yet, but not ready to discard it either.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hey per our Web Master he is worth about $100/Hr in Afghanistan at the moment. It wouldn't be my choice even for $100/hr but to each his own.
I turned down an opt. to goto Iraq for $100,000 a few years back....most of the mid east is on the same "Eh, no." list for me. Have been considering Belize though.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
One thing I really agree with the article about is its point about politics. I don't think you are going to be happy if your choice to leave is because the politics here suck. Politics everywhere sucks and you are NOT going to get rid of those problems in your life.

For me, its about adventure and experiencing different cultures and broadening my family's experience.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I turned down an opt. to goto Iraq for $100,000 a few years back....most of the mid east is on the same "Eh, no." list for me. Have been considering Belize though.

You should check out Dubai, Bob. This is one of the most advanced and growing tech centers in the entire world. And the pay rocks hardcore...especially considering the fact you don't have to pay taxes on what you earn!

When I finish my degree, I'm considering Dubai for a few years. I could make high six figures in the oil market and then take that money where ever I wanted to go next.

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
One thing I really agree with the article about is its point about politics. I don't think you are going to be happy if your choice to leave is because the politics here suck. Politics everywhere sucks and you are NOT going to get rid of those problems in your life.

For me, its about adventure and experiencing different cultures and broadening my family's experience.

For me it would be about having a salary and being able to train CMA everyday...oh and the food I love the food in Beijing :D

But I really have no plan to move there at this time it would all be dependant on what the Governor of my state decides as far as lay offs go and how that effects me.

Or if my wife sent our youngest daughter to school there for a year then I would go as well.