Americans accents

thardey

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Midlands accents in particular can be very varied indeed. For example, I was born in a town called Cheadle, which is all of ten miles away from Stoke and a bit less from a town called Tean. Each place has it's own dialect and accent - indeed, when I first moved into Stoke, I found the older locals impossible to understand :lol:.

Meanwhile, I could drive for a day or two in any direction (except for west-that would put me under water), and there wouldn't be any difference in accent.

There would be some difference in slang, as in "surfer dude" talk -- but the accents would be the same.

In college, I used to "translate" between a Texan, a New Yorker, and an Englishman. They could all easily understand me, but not each other.

I sound about like you would hear out of Hollywood -- most TV shows and Movies have the same accent as we have. And that's hard to account for, since Oregon is a mix of people from all over the country -- maybe it's because when people came to Oregon, they "left behind" the culture of wherever they came from, and lost the accent. That's what happened to my Dad and Grandparents. They came from Texas, and promptly lost their accent.

Latest Discussions