American Kenpo Bu Jutsu

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
I went and viewed. I offer this for review.

Technique shown; palm strike to the rear of the head, where the skull contours to the top of the neck. Instructor (6th Dan) stated that this was a lethal technique that will/can cause death. The force of the palm strike will/can seperate the brain from the brain stem.................

Bullcrap. They've obviously never tried it. I would be willing to bet they also include the "Dim Mak" punch to the chest as a heart-stopping lethal technique. Sure, the technique will work - as a one-in-a-million fluke that you would never, ever want to rely on for defending your life.

Such usually seems to be the case with the "ultra-lethal" "touch-of-death" types of arts.

kroh

Brown Belt
Reaction score
The people who really loose out is the students. I managed to get enough bandwidth for a peek at some of the video. Sigh.

I dunno... maybe I have it wrong. Maybe I should make up my own martial art, promote myself to 50th degree black belt, grow a pot belly (c'mon... when have you ever seen one of these guys who was in shape) and wrap a peice of cloth around the wrong uniform and cover it like a NASCAR uniform.

The people who go to these adult day cares seem to be happy with what they practice. As long as they live nice safe lives and go out and buy a gun in case they forget their shinai (that is that bamboo thingie they were swangin around) or get into real trouble... I guess it is like any other hobby.

Ok... Shutting my cake hole now and returning to my regularly scheduled war.

regards,
Walt

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well, they've clearly mastered the secret art of Teh Sexxay with that 5th dan black belt doing katana work in a shimmery camisole.

I'm trying to avoid saying anything. But sometimes you just have to go against your better nature and wonder how many belts she has in her notch.

almost a ghost

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I dunno... maybe I have it wrong. Maybe I should make up my own martial art, promote myself to 50th degree black belt, grow a pot belly (c'mon... when have you ever seen one of these guys who was in shape) and wrap a peice of cloth around the wrong uniform and cover it like a NASCAR uniform.

You also forgot the step were you join at least a dozen orgs, a handful of "instructor" and "black belt" awards, dan stripes traded like baseball cards with friends/org members from other systems, some fuddy-duddy ranking in some "kung fu" system, and eventual "Chi" powers one gets.

Ok... Shutting my cake hole now and returning to my regularly scheduled war.

Stay safe!

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
A good hard whack to the back of the head can be deadly. At the very least it can be disabling as I know from painful experience.

Knock you out? Sure. Disable you for a while? Why not. Hurt like a *****? Of course. Separate your brain from the brainstem? I really don't think so. Maybe if you used a club to increase the force delivered.

ewhip

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Those guys have more stuff on their belts then a Russian novel.... geez. Silliness.

ewhip

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Holy crap! I just went all 6 of her pages which included 2-3 videos. Between the questionable (more like laughable) sword play and martial LARPing photos, there is no way she is really a 5th degree.

Yes, you can almost hear them counting "one.. two, one... two, one.. two" in those videos... Oh wait, she's also a POET, so clearly I just don't get it. LOL.

Jdokan

Black Belt
Reaction score
Holy crap! I just went all 6 of her pages which included 2-3 videos. Between the questionable (more like laughable) sword play and martial LARPing photos, there is no way she is really a 5th degree.
As much as I try to always say something positive after seeing this young girl wearing a 5th....I am thankful for my little piece of the world.....Happy Thanksgiving everyone!!! Have a safe long weekend.

KenpoDave

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
The palm to the base of the skull is completely valid, I've been almost KOd from relatively light shots there, but unless a person is incredibly powerful, I'm going to say that seperation of the brain from the brain stem is just silly.

I'm with you. Look at an MRI of how close gray matter is to being unprotected at that point. I think the strike is valid, but not for the reason described.

OP
B

Brad Dunne

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Appriciate all the feedback. I guess I'll just let a sleeping dog lie, so to speak. My friend is content with what he's being shown and by who is showing it, so it is what it is. Thanks again for everyones insights.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Appriciate all the feedback. I guess I'll just let a sleeping dog lie, so to speak. My friend is content with what he's being shown and by who is showing it, so it is what it is.

That seems best--and as he actually studies there, he's in a better place to judge than are we.

Latest Discussions