American Kenpo Bu Jutsu

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well, they've clearly mastered the secret art of Teh Sexxay with that 5th dan black belt doing katana work in a shimmery camisole. :D
http://brienicolemarie.americankenpobu-jutsu.com/

The website looks pretty loopy but who can say based on that. The following doesn't look promising; "American Kenpo Bu-Jutsu is a system of self-defense in which people
learn how to end a confrontation...it is a no-holds barred system of self-defense. American Kenpo
Bu-Jutsu doesn't train with non-lethal techniques, nor does it train to back up after a technique is
executed. Students train to attack with the most lethal techniques in their arsenal and to keep
attacking until the threat is destroyed." That sort of language and phraseology sets off alarm bells.

At the end of the day though, nothing you can find on the web will answer the matter for sure. Have your friend go observe a class. Even if your friend doesn't have alot of MA experience, that is still the best way to go. Look for the presence of sparring (preferably continuous w/ some good contact), resistive training in the drills, and hard working students. Look out for schools that refuse to spar, especially if they claim it is because their art is "too deadly." Also look out for claims that their art is the most perfect in the universe, or anything about invincibility, no touch knockouts, and one hit kills. On the McDojo side, look out for long, locked in contracts, or if they refuse to let you watch a class and sparring session without signing up.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
The biggest warning sign I caught on the front page was the "International Soke Head Founder Society"...

On top of that -- they seem to make a lot out of listing who certified various ranks. My personal experience is that those who feel a need to justify or certify their ranks that way lack confidence in their ranks.

But, like has been said, the bottom line is that the only way to really assess them is to visit them.

MarkBarlow

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I did get a laugh out of Professor/GM/Founder/Soke of America....Bradbury's bio. He states ""I have been involved in the martial arts for forty-six (48) years" Obviously, that little error has nothing to due with his proficiency as a martial artist, just tickled me.

kroh

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Nothing beats going in and assessing the situation for yourself. Everyone else made points about warning bells and what not. It seems to me, based on the videos posted and literature on the site, that the folks here are running a hobby martial arts school with a focus on basics as better (less is more).

Lots of folks running around in both titles and uniforms that don't seem to quite fit. But the atmosphere looks kind enough...

Not my cup of tea but if your friend is looking for a beginner program... have him/her take a peek and talk to them.

Regards,
Walt

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey! Take a look at this video before you make up your mind...

http://video.yahoo.com/video/play?vid=398078

Oh yeah, also Bradbury did Pass the "Grandmaster test" so how can he not be legit? LOL
I wasn't at all impressed by any of the videos I watched... Lots of very bad movement, in my opinion. Lots of silly exercises that I doubt would work with someone who wasn't already a believer.

Gentle Fist

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Some of these guys should try out for hollywood. I would go somewhere else for instruction, this club looks very cultish and god only knows what they teach behind closed doors.

dianhsuhe

Blue Belt
Reaction score
jks9199: I was kidding about the video... LOL

I have honestly never seen soo many Sokes, and "versions" of Sokes on one site.

I would definitely be hesitant about training there based on the web-site alone.

almost a ghost

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Well, they've clearly mastered the secret art of Teh Sexxay with that 5th dan black belt doing katana work in a shimmery camisole. :D
http://brienicolemarie.americankenpobu-jutsu.com/

Holy crap! I just went all 6 of her pages which included 2-3 videos. Between the questionable (more like laughable) sword play and martial LARPing photos, there is no way she is really a 5th degree.

OP
B

Brad Dunne

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I went and viewed. I offer this for review.

Technique shown; palm strike to the rear of the head, where the skull contours to the top of the neck. Instructor (6th Dan) stated that this was a lethal technique that will/can cause death. The force of the palm strike will/can seperate the brain from the brain stem.................

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
I went and viewed. I offer this for review.

Technique shown; palm strike to the rear of the head, where the skull contours to the top of the neck. Instructor (6th Dan) stated that this was a lethal technique that will/can cause death. The force of the palm strike will/can seperate the brain from the brain stem.................

The palm to the base of the skull is completely valid, I've been almost KOd from relatively light shots there, but unless a person is incredibly powerful, I'm going to say that seperation of the brain from the brain stem is just silly.

Latest Discussions