Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes interesting.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's a bit simplistic. Interesting to hear what the Aussies say about it.
I do know that on international military exercises you can't billet American and Aussie troops together, they fight. Aussies win.

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It's a bit simplistic. Interesting to hear what the Aussies say about it.
I do know that on international military exercises you can't billet American and Aussie troops together, they fight.

Yeah, that tension goes way back.

http://www.abc.net.au/7.30/stories/s228063.htm

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]The Americans had everything -- they looked good, they had the equipment, they had the perfect teeth, which the Australian girls liked.[/SIZE][/FONT]

OP
Archangel M

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sounds like the outnumbered MP's did pretty well to me. :)

Aussies win my ***. ;)

OP
Archangel M

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
LOL!

Want to start an Aussie/American war just mention how we now dominate Swimming competitions. They appear to be a bit sensitive about that.

Seriously though..much like Brit/US rivalry. It's "rivalry"...When the chips are down there are few other countries on the globe I would be willing to stand beside other than them.

girlbug2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Aw, I'm disappointed to hear--

Surveys generally show that Australians respect Americans less than any other nation. Surveys aside, in general conservation it is obvious that many Australians (mainly left-wing) have open hostility to Americans. This dislike is reflected in the use of the word Seppos, which is the abbreviation of Septic Tank which is rhyming slang for Yank. A dislike of Americans is especially strong in the Australian military where Australians and Americans have had to fight side by side.

There are a lot of Aussies visiting Southern California, and I've never met one that wasn't gracious and charming. I sure do hope they weren't secretly thinking I'm a bragadocious yank.

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
There are a lot of Aussies visiting Southern California, and I've never met one that wasn't gracious and charming. I sure do hope they weren't secretly thinking I'm a bragadocious yank.

I'm sure they liked you just fine. Apparently the Aussie men that don't like the American men. You know how so many American women get a little week in the knees when they hear an Aussie man's accent? Well, based on the link Tez provided, Aussie women get the same way when they see a Yank's "perfect teeth". Also based on the link, this really irks some Aussie men and apparently puts them in some sort of berzerker state of mind.

I don't know that it is true, but that's what the links certainly suggest.

OP
Archangel M

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
Remember that was in the 1940's.

Im pretty sure that the average Aussie and average American would get along just fine.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
When I was in Germany in the military, I went down with a couple friends to Munich for Oktoberfest. Anyone who's been there will know what I mean. When you go to Oktoberfest, you pretty much get a seat in a tent and stay there... all day... drinking beer and eating and having fun. Whoever ends up near you is pretty much who you're stuck with all day. Well, one day, we ended up at a table with about 8 or so Aussie soldiers. I had the best time EVER. Those guys were what I'd call friendly rowdy. They may have hated us... maybe I was too drunk to know it... but I thought they were pretty cool.

David43515

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
This thread caught my eye because I live in a ski resort town that is frequented by ALOT of Aussies every winter. I`ve got to say they can be loud and rowdy, but for the most part they are the most charming, friendly people you could imagine. The only time any of them has ever said anything I would have thought of as rude was when one who was deep in his cups insisted on calling me "Bill Clinton". (I`m a Republican.)

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hi. Aussie here.

Well, I must say, it seems we are quite well represented in the tales and travels of our esteemed colleagues. To be honest, the article is pretty accurate, for the most part, but there are a few things which seem a little out.

One example is the use of "rhyming slang" for Americans, or really at all these days. It came from Cockney ancestry, but has been quite out of vogue for some time. I personally cannot ever remember hearing anyone use the term "Seppo's" or similar for Americans, and in fact have only ever come across rhyming slang is from more elderly members of the community (when it is used in front of the younger members of society, mostly anyone under 40, it gets bemused looks at best).

I personally feel that the perceived dislike of the US is far more general, and very few Aussies would even relate the idea of how they feel about the US to the way they feel about particular Americans.

And what did he say about our accents?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One thing it said about the African Americans language seemed odd, the 'he be here, they be there' instead of he is here etc, in some English accents they use 'be' for is and are.
The rhyming slang sadly I think isn't used an awful lot now by Londoners either, hasn't been as Chris said for many years. It's a bit of a myth these days, its shame because it was very inventive.
The whole problem with classifying the people in a country is that it takes no account of individuals which is to miss the best bit of any country. Sadly I think often a country's 'celebrities' are the ones we are often judged by rather than anyone 'real'!

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It is always important to seperate the 'country' from the 'people' that live in it.

I too have on many occasions reacted to some international incident or other speaking in terms of 'those darn Yanks' (some words may have been different in actuality :D).

Who are they, these 'Yanks' I speak of? Noone real, that's for sure. I am just vocalising my disapproval for the actions of a country's (usually) foreign policy with a convenient label that shows my ire.

Nations have perceived characters on the international stage and it is sometimes bemusing to ponder where they have come from? Indeed, it is true that some of us do match up to the cultural stereotype {looks at self in mirror :)} but many, many more do not.

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
This thread caught my eye because I live in a ski resort town that is frequented by ALOT of Aussies every winter. I`ve got to say they can be loud and rowdy, but for the most part they are the most charming, friendly people you could imagine. The only time any of them has ever said anything I would have thought of as rude was when one who was deep in his cups insisted on calling me "Bill Clinton". (I`m a Republican.)

Why? Did you hurt your leg falling down some some steps in a drunken stupor at Greg Norman's estate?

:uhyeah:

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Making sport of Americans does seem to be an international pastime. :D

Latest Discussions