Amazon and Overstock dot com pull out of all Illinois buisness

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Amazon and Overstock dot com pull out of all Illinois associate buisness thanks to our brillaint Governeor.

For well over a decade, the Amazon Associates Program has worked with thousands of Illinois residents. Unfortunately, a new state tax law signed by Governor Quinn compels us to terminate this program for Illinois-based participants. It specifically imposes the collection of taxes from consumers on sales by online retailers – including but not limited to those referred by Illinois-based affiliates like you – even if those retailers have no physical presence in the state.

http://www.404techsupport.com/2011/...and-amazon-terminate-all-illinois-associates/

"Durrrr. I'm Governor Quinn... my state is broke, so I'm gonna force income outta my state, that will fix the problem Hur Hur Hur."

What a giant ****ing douchebag. I don't run any affiliate sites, thank god. But it is something that several people I know are going to be seriously impacted by.

I think he is working under the theory that if there are in fact no jobs or businesses in a state, then there is no unemployment. Then that particular problem is solved.

No, he's likely working under the theory that goods sold in his State ough to be subject to State sales tax/ You know, to collect needed revenues.

Fact is, the proliferation of internet commerce is an issue for jurisdictions' sales tax. On the one hand, we hear a lot from the right to abolish income tax and replace it with a 'fairer' consumption tax. OTOH, when a Governor tries to collect such a consumption tax, he's being crapped on. Make up your mind.

NY wants you to pay NYS sales tax on items you bought outside of NY and may have paid local sales tax on. Extra taxes as it were.

NY wants you to pay NYS sales tax on items you bought outside of NY and may have paid local sales tax on. Extra taxes as it were.

Technically, they all do. Technically if you bring new goods into a state or province, you need to pay the sales tax. And claim a rebate if you paid somewhere else already. Practically it's not done. However for mail order stuff, I don't think it's too much to ask to assess and collect tax based on shipping destination.

Virginia does the same thing, unless you paid sales tax at the time of purchase. So, if I order on-line and the business charges me their sales tax, no Virginia tax. You self-report when you do your income taxes...

If I read this correctly, JKS and Canuck, that is not what this new Tax is. What you are botb describing is the new "Use Tax" he also put into place, which is seperate from this.

Lets say Bob sells his prints from his shop in NY thru Amazon. I have an Amazon affiliate site/link/what have you and someone from Virgina buys one of Bob's prints using my link, thru Amazon, they then want Amazon to pay Illinois tax, even tho the item was purchased in Virgina from a New York Store.

You should have to pay tax on the state the procuct is purchased from, the state where you made the order from, the town you made the purchase from, the county the purchase was made from, and if it travels through the mail, each state it passes through, and you should pay a national tax as well as a planet tax, and the planet tax body should collect a universe tax, for the time when there is a universal governing body. They can hold that money in trust, just like the social security trust fund. Then, when you die, your heirs should have to repay all of those taxes, all over again since the product, whatever it was, has changed hands.

And you know what? Even with all that tax money, the politicians would still have us so deep in debt that they would need even more tax revenue generated from somewhere else.

The problem is not that there is not enough tax dollars coming in, it is the limitless spending the politicians engage in. The more you give in taxes the more they get to spend and over spend.

The only way is to cut them off.

If I read this correctly, JKS and Canuck, that is not what this new Tax is. What you are botb describing is the new "Use Tax" he also put into place, which is seperate from this.

Lets say Bob sells his prints from his shop in NY thru Amazon. I have an Amazon affiliate site/link/what have you and someone from Virgina buys one of Bob's prints using my link, thru Amazon, they then want Amazon to pay Illinois tax, even tho the item was purchased in Virgina from a New York Store.

If that's what it is, then they're effing nuts.

You should have to pay tax on the state the procuct is purchased from, the state where you made the order from, the town you made the purchase from, the county the purchase was made from,

Up to here, you're actually right. From a consumption tax perspective, it should be no different than a brick and mortar store.

Back