Amazing what you can purchase on Ebay these days...

Status
Not open for further replies.

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I am now an OFFICIAL 20th degree black belt who has been thanked by president Obama, and the mayor of gotham for being a great super TKD person. I bought a couple extra so i can print a few more later when I need something more dated. I plan to have my 30th degree by mid summer next year. That will pack them into the front doors....

But seriously, these certificates have been arround for years. Its not the certificate that matters, its the signature on it and the reputation that backs it that add value.

As for the online Black Belt courses........... I guess in todays world where video games and being lazy make up a majority of our society.... what did you expect.

NPTKD

Brown Belt
Reaction score
yeah, i guess the KKW impresses some people. So does the ATA come to think of it.

You are really comparring the two! Come on.... You know I used to get pissed when there was something that I wanted but couldn't get also. You know like when you want a Big Mac and your mom would say" I can make you a hamburger at home". You know they even came out with a sauce that was just like the sauce they put on the Big Mac! She made me one once. I liked it because she made it for me..... But it Still wasn't a Big Mac! I'm sure who ever made your certificate made it look reaLLLLLL nice. But its still not a .............:ultracool

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
You know, I have met many people who said the same thing.... "SCREW KKW". and i can see their point. But those are usually the same people who couldnt get one. Like someone who was a 4th Dan already but had never had the oppurtunity to get one from the start. One day they get the chance and Then KKW says "we dont care, you start as 1st Dan and wait full amount of time for each... no acception"... I can understand the resentment. Then I see these so called BB that paid their money and got a KKW who dont deserve it and it makes you even more dissatisfied with them. Resentment. Frustration. Its all understandable, but so was my Bachelors Degree.... Why did I have to pay money to some BS institution to say I knew how to do my job. Because it was "more widely" recognized and accepted than my resume that said I could do the same thing.

True TwinFist, you may not and others may not care about it or even accept it, but overall.... the world is bigger and has alot more who do. I came to a few points in my TKD life where I said Screw it too. I found myself as a 3rd dan who was told I wasn't a real BB because i didnt have a KKW. and I had to start over... on paper... After all, it's still just a piece of paper that you need to be able to back up with your knowledge and skill.

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
BIGMAC.....

i hate bigmacs....

Give me a Double cheese anyday!:lfao:

mmmmmmmm doublecheeseburger.....:fanboy:

NPTKD

Brown Belt
Reaction score
You know, I have met many people who said the same thing.... "SCREW KKW". and i can see their point. But those are usually the same people who couldnt get one. Like someone who was a 4th Dan already but had never had the oppurtunity to get one from the start. One day they get the chance and Then KKW says "we dont care, you start as 1st Dan and wait full amount of time for each... no acception"... I can understand the resentment. Then I see these so called BB that paid their money and got a KKW who dont deserve it and it makes you even more dissatisfied with them. Resentment. Frustration. Its all understandable, but so was my Bachelors Degree.... Why did I have to pay money to some BS institution to say I knew how to do my job. Because it was "more widely" recognized and accepted than my resume that said I could do the same thing.

True TwinFist, you may not and others may not care about it or even accept it, but overall.... the world is bigger and has alot more who do. I came to a few points in my TKD life where I said Screw it too. I found myself as a 3rd dan who was told I wasn't a real BB because i didnt have a KKW. and I had to start over... on paper... After all, it's still just a piece of paper that you need to be able to back up with your knowledge and skill.

Been there! Done that! He doesn't get it! Thank, you do.:)

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score

There's some value in being a member of a large organization if rank recognition is important to you.

That said a few of you are overstating the status of the KKW as a gold standard in certifying black belts. I suppose one might well feel some KKW envy if one practiced a KKW syllabus (and that's a rather loose one apparently), but there are tens (hundreds?) of thousands of people in the US alone who follow other curriculum and practice different forms than the KKW's. I doubt any of them feel any sense of envy or regret for not having KKW paper.

The KKW is the largest TKD org in the world right now. But it is no closer to cornering the market on TKD training than Ford or Mazda is to gaining a car monopoly in the US. If you want to buy a Ford and get your KKW BB that's great. Deciding otherwise (or even not having the foggiest idea what the KKW is) is totally fine also.

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
there's some value in being a member of a large organization if rank recognition is important to you.

That said a few of you are overstating the status of the kkw as a gold standard in certifying black belts. I suppose one might well feel some kkw envy if one practiced a kkw syllabus (and that's a rather loose one apparently), but there are tens (hundreds?) of thousands of people in the us alone who follow other curriculum and practice different forms than the kkw's. I doubt any of them feel any sense of envy or regret for not having kkw paper.

The kkw is the largest tkd org in the world right now. But it is no closer to cornering the market on tkd training than ford or mazda is to gaining a car monopoly in the us. If you want to buy a ford and get your kkw bb that's great. Deciding otherwise (or even not having the foggiest idea what the kkw is) is totally fine also.

honda/acura....

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I found myself as a 3rd dan who was told I wasn't a real BB because i didnt have a KKW. and I had to start over... on paper...

anyone that told me that would be told exactly which part of my butt they could start kissing

get this straight, other than KKW schools, NO ONE KNOWS OR CARES WHAT THE KKW IS

got that?

NO ONE

the public certainly doesnt, in fact MOST MARTIAL ARTISTS have never heard of them.

try comming to texas and telling Allen Steen or Pat Burleson that they aint real BB's cuz they aint KKW. i got money says you will wake up wondering what happened to you.......

THE KKW is just another fraternity. Sometimes usefull, but for the most part? it is just a way of BUYING YOURSELF some warm fuzzy feelings from other people that are in the same frat.

and no one else gives a damn

i LAUGH at the slaves that send hard earned money to the leeches in Korea

TaeKwonDoKevin

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
yeah, i guess the KKW impresses some people. So does the ATA come to think of it.

I understand exactly your point. Any Certificate only impresses (or NOT) OTHER INSTRUCTORS.
The average Joe on the street has NO idea what the KKW or ATA is. This may surprise some of you, but straight up, that's true. Only if you have spent the time & money does it mean anything to most of us.
I just started teaching again not too long ago. I teach in a town where the ATA has been for 30 years, and there used to be a KKW certified Instructor here also. NOT 1 person has came in wanting ATA or KKW - NOT ONE. In fact, I have a few from the other orgs. to switch over.
You guys are paying BIG $$$$ for no reason at all, other than YOU have BEEN TOLD it is Important. No disrespect meant, Truly.
Billy's parents probably don't care or even KNOW what the certificate even means anyway. I have gained 5 students (from the other guys) because they did NOT want to pay TOP $$$ just for a certificate.
If you want the KKW, ATA or any other, that's fine, just don't kid yourself that it means more than it does.
Respectfully,
-Kevin

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
:fanboy:mmmmmmmmmmmm..... Doublecheeseburger :fanboy:

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
TF and TKDKevin I will spead some light for what a KKW certificate gets you. This is not to say everyone needs it they do not, what people need is knowledge and a good understanding of what SD really is. The KKW is needed for International competition and the Olympic sport you must have it if you plan on playing the Game. I am not saying to go out and get one but for those that want the top level person in the sport it is a requirement.

So no only a small % really need it and yet every get one. I have some student that need it but I do not get everybody one only those wishing for it. TF you are right Pat or Allen would go ape **** if you told them they was not for real, since I see Pat almost once a month.

TaeKwonDoKevin

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
TF and TKDKevin I will spead some light for what a KKW certificate gets you. This is not to say everyone needs it they do not, what people need is knowledge and a good understanding of what SD really is. The KKW is needed for International competition and the Olympic sport you must have it if you plan on playing the Game. I am not saying to go out and get one but for those that want the top level person in the sport it is a requirement.

So no only a small % really need it and yet every get one. I have some student that need it but I do not get everybody one only those wishing for it. TF you are right Pat or Allen would go ape **** if you told them they was not for real, since I see Pat almost once a month.

Terry....I do know what the KKW Certificate can get you. That's not news to me.
Yes, I know what you are trying to say.....again, the WTF is NOT the ONLY Association that holds International Events. The KKW is needed for WTF International competition. Again, Top Level in the WTF, Just like ITF has theirs, & ATA theirs as do other Associations. You are speaking as if a person isn't competing in WTF, then they are not competing in REAL TKD.
I know that is not what you mean, but again, this has been said and repeated so much in the last 25 years that it is spoken as if the WTF Tournaments are the only ones that count now.
Again, Please don't misunderstand me, I'm not knocking it, but there are many that think if you don't have a certain Association Certification, then you are lesser quality, or not REAL TaeKwonDo.
The ATA had competitors from 17 countries and more than 5000 competitors............should we all go join the ATA?
Bigger doesn't mean better.....it only means bigger.
With Respect.
-Kevin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions