am i over looking judo for real self defence?

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
why all the discussion on cross training and striking vs grappling the OP wanted to know if Judo would be good for defense
The OP hasnt been back to MT in over a year so they got their answer apparently. As for the rest who knows

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
A striker with no training in grappling, could still grapple standing and hold his own. It's on the ground the problem starts.
The "single leg" is a very powerful skill. If you try to punch your opponent, you will need to step in. Sometime your opponent just wait for that "step" of yours. If you step in, he doesn't need to shoot in. You just help him to close that distance between his hands and your leg. Sometime even your kick can offer a chance for your opponent's "single leg" too.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's not what he said. He claimed the thrown guy will land on his head if it's successful, as if the technique would have anything to do with the guys landing.

I train Taekwon-Do myself.
Quite a few throws, when done properly, in a real environment with someone not trained to take the fall, will do just exactly that. Don't be fooled by what you see in competition or practice with partners who know how to take the fall and are prepared for it...

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Quite a few throws, when done properly, in a real environment with someone not trained to take the fall, will do just exactly that. Don't be fooled by what you see in competition or practice with partners who know how to take the fall and are prepared for it...

Years ago our instructor took us to a martial arts seminar for experience with different martial arts, one of which was Aikido. The guy I was partnered with assumed I knew how to break fall, I didn't at that point. He did a throw, I can't tell you what, other than it was Judo like, I was unprepared for it, landing hard and flat on my back with the back of my head hitting the mat very hard. I couldn't move for several minutes and had to be helped up by a medic, I've been thrown off horses before and this was every bit as bad as that. I had to sit out the rest of the day with a banging headache and sore neck.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
why all the discussion on cross training and striking vs grappling the OP wanted to know if Judo would be good for defense
Apparently, judo isn't good for defense, because a striker will pummel a judoka at will....:rolleyes:......................................................wait for it..............................................................................
rolling.gif

Laplace_demon

Black Belt
Reaction score

The guy I judo threw over my back who tumbled and hit concrete was a mere street fighter who challenged me. It was not practise or fun. He didn't know anything about Judo but was fat enough to not feel anything from the fall. I slammed the guy twice.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Modern sport Judo is not recommended in self defence. You leave yourself open to strikes when attempting to grab and throw someone over.
In

- gi environment, if your opponent grabs on your right sleeve, your right hand won't be able to punch. If he also grabs on your left upper lapel, when you punch his head with your left hand, he can raise his right elbow and hide his head under it.
- no-gi environment, if your opponent wraps on your right arm, your right hand won't be able to punch. If he also have right neck tie, when you punch his head with your left hand, he can also raise his right elbow and hide his head under it.

Of course you can try to strike him before he gets that "clinch". When the clinch has been established, the punch won't be effective after that. All effective clinches are developed in such a way that your own safety should be the most important consideration.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The guy I judo threw over my back who tumbled and hit concrete was a mere street fighter who challenged me. It was not practise or fun. He didn't know anything about Judo but was fat enough to not feel anything from the fall. I slammed the guy twice.

Are you a bouncer then?

Laplace_demon

Black Belt
Reaction score
Of course you can try to strike him before he gets that "clinch". When the clinch has been established, the punch won't be effective after that. All effective clinches are developed in such a way that your own safety is the most important consideration.

I can try and strike him? LOl, it's quite a big target for me to miss if I want to strike before a clinch/grappling. That's probably what a striker should, but doesn't do in the match ups I've seen. They think their superior physique against ordinarily built JJ guys will prevail even in the clinch, so there is no urgency on their part. I know better and would act far more aggressively.

KydeX

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Well, there are lots of different throws, some are most likely to put somebody on their back first, others are more likely to put them head first into the ground. I would still agree with those that say most throws have a high damage potential against the untrained. And many throws can be altered slightly from safe training to be a lot nastier. For example, the basic tomoe nage can be really dangerous just by not releasing your collar grip. This will almost insure that you plant their head to the ground first.

However, adrenaline and drugs may cancel out a lot of pain, as is the case with any techniques used in self defense.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The guy I judo threw over my back who tumbled and hit concrete was a mere street fighter who challenged me. It was not practise or fun.
You judo threw him? Whats that even mean?
He didn't know anything about Judo
Nor do you
but was fat enough to not feel anything from the fall. I slammed the guy twice.
And? So your one attempt a trying a technique your not train in failed so now all judo is bad?

Laplace_demon

Black Belt
Reaction score
You judo threw him? Whats that even mean?

Nor do you

And? So your one attempt a trying a technique your not train in failed so now all judo is bad?

By "judo throw "I mean this the first one displayed here:

I don't think Judo is bad.. But these things all suppose we are both attempting to throw each other. My only objective is to hit a grappler. I won't try to outwrestle him.

Last edited:

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
How could you seriously post that a successful throw will gurantee the victim falls on his head?
It's not that hard to do. Any throw that you just "apply 1/2 way" and won't give your opponent a chance to do his break fall can achieve this kind of result. It's called "air plane crashing (head down first)" in the grappling art.

Last edited:

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's not that hard to do. Any throw that you just "apply 1/2 way" and won't give your opponent a chance to do his break fall can achieve this kind of result. It's called "air plane crashing (head down first)" in the grappling art

That's how I went down, it wasn't from a height like that though but I certainly landed with the back of my head first then my back. It really wasn't good. I would however recommend doing it if attacked!

However you don't need to lift a 220lb guy to do this, that's what the Judo is for, to give you techniques to throw someone bigger. Later on when I had actually learnt to break fall and a decent bit of Judo I was throwing the big guys around. It amused them and me that it could really be that easy.

Last edited:

Laplace_demon

Black Belt
Reaction score
Do you know the difference between throwing and lifting? I did not lift my opponent, I used his force launching at me in the throw. Lifting him up in the air is a different task.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Oh Yeah it's not hard lifting a guy at 220lb or more. Not hard at all.

The fact that you think you're supposed to lift your opponent says a lot. Mostly, it says that you have no idea what you're talking about.

Even though Taekwon-Do is primarily a striking art, you should have a better understanding of the principles involved with throws and takedowns than you've demonstrated. Unless you're a complete beginner, of course. You've been asked about your training before, but you've been evasive.

So, once again, what is your training an experience?

Latest Discussions