All of these books

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You know we as Martial Artist seem to collect alot of books, well probaly the best book I have ever gotten is called Martial Arts after 40 by Sang H. Kim, it is simple and direct but that whats makes it so good for us old timers. What is the best book you have read, beside the the tops ones. What low rank book has made an impact on your training?

CDKJudoka

Purple Belt
Reaction score
First MA book I bought was a Stephen Hayes book. The one that I refer to on a regular basis is Loren Christensen's 'Fighters Body'. It has helped me with my solo training as well as conditioning.

My favourite is still "The Tao of Jeet Kune Do"

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yes I had some, now I don't have any. My first MA book was the one by Richard Chun, Tae Kwon Do was the name if I recall.

Manny

igillman

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Not a book, but a quote...

I believe that the only way to teach anyone proper self-defence is to approach each individual personally. Each one of us is different and each one of us should be taught the correct form. By correct form I mean the most useful techniques the person is inclined toward. Find his ability and then develop these techniques. I don't think it is important whether a side kick is performed with the heel higher than the toes, as long as the fundamental principle is not violated.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I came across a copy of the Bubishi and was enthralled by the content contained within it. Fool me, I thought my tae kwon do instructor would know all the information within it and could teach it to me. I was wrong.

That started my path to my current teacher that I have been with for 18 years. It's not the that Bubishi is so profound; it fails utterly as an instructional tome for example. But the book gave me a glimpse into higher levels of karate, one that made me hunger for more.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
"Korean Karate" by S. Henry Cho (from the late 1960's) was my 1st TKD book. It's still a favorite.

dortiz

Black Belt
Reaction score
For me its one of sentiment. The first MA book I bought which was Tae Kwon Do forms by DR Daeshik Kimm. My teacher recommended it as a home companion and for years and years I constantly used it for a reference. Its my oldest, most dog eared and most loved.

Dave O.

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You know going though some older books and found suoer Karate made easy by Moja Rone and also Bruse Tegners complete book of Self Defense and another one called Karate by Russell Kozuki. Not to mention the other 2000 plus books I have. Way to many, maybe I should sell them on E-bay

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
For me its one of sentiment. The first MA book I bought which was Tae Kwon Do forms by DR Daeshik Kimm. My teacher recommended it as a home companion and for years and years I constantly used it for a reference. Its my oldest, most dog eared and most loved.

Dave O.

I actually took two semesters of Dr. Kim's class at the University of Texas. It was really rough to get an A in.

RIP. He passed away a few years ago, but left behind a huge legacy in the martial arts.

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I actually took two semesters of Dr. Kim's class at the University of Texas. It was really rough to get an A in.

RIP. He passed away a few years ago, but left behind a huge legacy in the martial arts.

Yes he did.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
My collection only contains about 100 books

Bubishi- Great food for thought.
Living the Martial Way - Great thoughts on many items.
Shotokan Secrets. - Also great food for thought.
What the Masters know.

As a collective work, technical, Philosophy and History, General Choi's 15 volume encyclopedia

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Forrest Morgan's book Living the Martial Way is, in my opinion, essential reading on training.

I'd also strongly recommend Rory Miller's Meditations on Violence. It cuts through much of the crap about real violence.

David43515

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I think Morgan`s "Living the Martial Way" taught me to look at things and ask why I was doing them a certain way. It gave me more to think about than any other book on martial arts.
2 other favorites were Marc MacYoung`s "The professional`s guide to ending violence quickly" and "Taking it to the street: Making your martial art street effective". By the time I found them I had alot of years under my belt and they didn`t really teach me anything new, but they explained it so clearly that it made it much easier for me to teach.

chrispillertkd

Senior Master
Reaction score
Living the Martial Way by Forrest E. Morgan is excellent. It is helpful for both training purposes and understanding a lot of the philosophy found in many (I would still hesitate to say "all") Martial Arts.

Musashi's Book of Five Rings is fascinating. I am always amazed that a book on Kenjutsu has enjoyed such a cross-discipline popularity, including being used in the business world. I also like that the edition I have has pictures of calligraphy, paintings, sculptures and tsuba that Musashi made. A great example of a man who reached true mastery, imo.

Being as how I'm a Taewon-Doin, I thoroughly recommend Gen. Choi's Encyclopedia of Taekwon-Do. I've got the 15 volume set, as well as his 1972 book and his 1965 book for historical reference. It's very interesting to see many aspects of the art develop over time.

Not a book, but Grand Master Choi, Jung Hwa's Master Class DVD is superb. He covers the color belt patterns and includes commentary on movements that are commonly performed incorrectly or that need greater explanation to understand.

Dave Lowry's Autumn Lightning and Persimmon Wind are both excellent. They are probably my favorites as far as Lowry is actually that most rare of breed: a legitimate martial artist who is also a professional (and highly talented!) writer. If you haven't read them and are interested in descriptions of training, reflections on martial philosophy and history these are must haves.

There are others, of course, but after 23 years of training these are the ones that stick out most in my mind.

Pax,

Chris

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Peyton Quinn's "Bouncer's Guide to Barroom Brawling " and "Real Fighting" are great reads on many levels.