Aikidoists, please tell me what you think...

kaizasosei

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Aikido is a fine art that requires a high degree of technical skill.

i would have to agree. -

It is a long time criticism of aikido, by even some of its own practitioners, that uke does not always punch very hard or with great determination. Hence, the joke: "If you want to start a fight with an aikido guy, just hand him your wrist."

maybe, but i'm starting to wonder where you are going with this. never heard that joke before. ill keep it in mind.

i also agree with others that said that there are many different styles of aikido. - i believe that the principles of aiki are contained in all martial arts as well as all types of physical and spiritual communication.
even if you really are right about knowing the ultimate truth, it's not helping much if you don't know what's out there in the real world and how to deal with it in positive ways.

j

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
never heard that joke before. ill keep it in mind.

i also agree with others that said that there are many different styles of aikido. - i believe that the principles of aiki are contained in all martial arts as well as all types of physical and spiritual communication.
even if you really are right about knowing the ultimate truth, it's not helping much if you don't know what's out there in the real world and how to deal with it in positive ways.

j
I've heard that joke many times, although it was usually regarding the new aikido-ka who hadn't really dug too deeply into the art saying "Man, if someone would just grab my wrist I could really kick some ***." It's a good chuckle.

I certainly agree with your second paragraph regarding the principles of aiki being in most arts. Same could go for taiji being in many or karate being in many. The thing with the video in the original post is that it's only those principles that are being worked and not aikido itself.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
HEY!!! :miffer: Leave taiji out of this

:uhyeah:

Sorry, I just had to do it.

I can't really add anything of value to this post so I will go now
Anything you add is always of some value, Xue. :lfao: I'm betting that if you looked hard enough you'd see some familiar movements from your taiji training in the video.

OP
Flying Crane

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Thanks to everyone for jumping in on this and giving your thoughts. It's been interesting so far, I appreciate the perspective you are all able to add.

cstanley

Blue Belt
Reaction score
i would have to agree. -

maybe, but i'm starting to wonder where you are going with this. never heard that joke before. ill keep it in mind.

j

Not "going" anywhere with it. No claims to ultimate truth. Just observations. Very much aware of what is out there. That's quite a list of martial arts you have trotted out in your profile. You must really be something.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
ATTENTION ALL USERS:

Please, keep the conversation polite and respectful and on topic.

Brian R. VanCise
MartialTalk Super Moderator

kaizasosei

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
That's quite a list of martial arts you have trotted out in your profile. You must really be something.

actually, it's just a matter of clicking on the stuff you have experience with.
i'm guessing your list is also longer than you think. that's how it was with me...i checked out some people just as you are, and i found a few people to have some seriously diverse backgrounds. actually, i have some blindspots as i have only limited experience with indonesian ma for example as well as some others..

Latest Discussions