Aikidoists, please tell me what you think...

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
This youtube link was first posted over on Kenpotalk. It shows an approach to kenpo that I have no familiarity with, but it strikes me as perhaps a blending of Aikido with kenpo. Does this stuff look familiar to you guys? Any comments on it? Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
Personally. I dont see any of that working against a committed attack. More "hang your arm out there and let me have my way with you" demo crap. To be blunt. "Large" white guys in flamboyant GI waving their arms around doesnt do it for me.

My opinion and a nickle will get you a nickle though. :)

OP
Flying Crane

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Personally. I dont see any of that working against a committed attack. More "hang your arm out there and let me have my way with you" demo crap. To be blunt. "Large" white guys in flamboyant GI waving their arms around doesnt do it for me.

My opinion and a nickle will get you a nickle though. :)

I was kind of thinking the same thing. I was, however, wondering if the approach they are using might be based on some aikido that they might have learned at some point.

charyuop

Black Belt
Reaction score
I am not at a point where I can judge Aikido, but those movements remind me more Sistema than Aikido.
As per effectiveness, I will never get tired to say that most of the time what is delivered is the principle. What is most important is catching the principle so that you know what to do in every situation, not only a certain attack. As I read on another forum what technique are you gonna use Vs an old lady in the middle of the street beating you up with her purse while her dog bites your leg? If you learn a principle you will be able to adapt to any situation.

kaizasosei

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
i thought it was pretty genious. i liked it. really freestyle way of doing things-seemed skillfull and really well focused to me.

j

morph4me

Goin' with the flow
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I saw alot of the principles of aikido, but then again the same principles apply in alot of other arts as do some of the same techniques. Some of it reminded me of Yanagi Ryu and it does look like systema, so if it's being taught as kempo who am I to disagree?

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Circular motion and redirection of energy. Could be pulled from any number of different arts or it could be simply those particular philosophies of motion applied to kenpo.

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Having taken a seminar with Mr Soto, I can tell you that it is indeed a Systema influence you are seeing. I took another Systema class too, and it is pretty "deep", as in, there is a lot that does not meet the eye.

We're having a full-day seminar in a couple weeks, I hope I can get a better grasp on it then. I'm not sure how well it will blend with what I am trying to do with my Kempo, though: It appears to me that the SYstema style of movement is not based on the stability or structural integrity which is the route I'm trying to go... it is so loose, fluid... I'm not saying this is not effective, it's just different from what I'm doing. But I look forward to it, at the very least a good counter example is good sometimes.

If anyone reading this wants to come to Omaha for this seminar please PM me. It is 2/16/08.

-David

charyuop

Black Belt
Reaction score
It appears to me that the SYstema style of movement is not based on the stability or structural integrity which is the route I'm trying to go... it is so loose, fluid... I'm not saying this is not effective, it's just different from what I'm doing.
-David

I have never taken a class of systema, but it reminds me alot Aikido. If it actually uses the same principle of Aikido don't let it fool you.
Even tho the movements are supposed to be fluid and smooth doesn't mean you don't have a structural stability.
In order to avoid using your muscles, posture and stability is a must. Overextend a part of your body or be crowded into yourself and techniques are impossible to do (unless you are a very experienced practicioner).
One thing is rigidity and one thing is stability, the first one is absent, the second one is present.

Yari

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
This youtube link was first posted over on Kenpotalk. It shows an approach to kenpo that I have no familiarity with, but it strikes me as perhaps a blending of Aikido with kenpo. Does this stuff look familiar to you guys? Any comments on it? Thanks.

Hey thanks for sharing... Would have loved to participate in that seminar. Many interesting points, I would have loved to try.

/yari

Last edited by a moderator:

cstanley

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Hey thanks for sharing... Would have loved to participate in that seminar. Many interesting points, I would have loved to try.

/yari

Sloppy technique against compliant attackers who half way punch. The only resemblance to aikido is the half-assed punches. Aikido technique is much sharper and much more focused. By the way, why do all these so-called masters look like they are about 8 months pregnant?

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sloppy technique against compliant attackers who half way punch. The only resemblance to aikido is the half-assed punches. Aikido technique is much sharper and much more focused. By the way, why do all these so-called masters look like they are about 8 months pregnant?
Really? I've had my nose damn near broken, gotten bloodied lips and bruised ribs. Not what I'd call half assed punches.

cstanley

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Really? I've had my nose damn near broken, gotten bloodied lips and bruised ribs. Not what I'd call half assed punches.

I'm only going by what I have seen in a number of aikido dojo. I'm sure your school is an exception...or maybe you need to move sooner.

kaizasosei

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
cstanley -

would you care to show us something you think is better. or even demonstrate yourself...?

i consider myself a really hard marker when it comes to aiki. - i would not comment so positively if i didnt think there was something good about the movements. i think when judging aikimovements, external physique is probably not that relevant. i mean, if you took the time, you could teach an elephant aiki or even a bird. however, it all depends more on the mind than the body. that's why humans are most suited to exploring aiki but all creatures can learn and do learn aiki.
although it is true that without a body that is healthy and in good shape, it becomes more difficult to endure certain physical hardships.

i was looking at the aiki-not necessarily the aikido or the kyudo or the kendo or kempo.

j

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Let's stick to the discussion of the video. This is not the place to start arguing or attacking art effectiveness, or take personal jabs at those who practice, or have practiced, the art.

I thought the video was pretty good. It was a seminar, and you could see the teaching principles in the way the techniques were being demonstrated. I don't know enough about systema or aikido to make the distinction of influence though.

cstanley

Blue Belt
Reaction score
cstanley -

would you care to show us something you think is better. or even demonstrate yourself...?

i consider myself a really hard marker when it comes to aiki. - i would not comment so positively if i didnt think there was something good about the movements. i think when judging aikimovements, external physique is probably not that relevant. i mean, if you took the time, you could teach an elephant aiki or even a bird. however, it all depends more on the mind than the body. that's why humans are most suited to exploring aiki but all creatures can learn and do learn aiki.
although it is true that without a body that is healthy and in good shape, it becomes more difficult to endure certain physical hardships.

i was looking at the aiki-not necessarily the aikido or the kyudo or the kendo or kempo.

j

I think you are over-reacting. Aikido is a fine art that requires a high degree of technical skill. My criticism was primarily of someone's comment that the video was aikido-like. It isn't. The punches in the vid are weak and sloppy, and the techniques demonstrated by the fat guys...er, instructors, are sloppy. It is a long time criticism of aikido, by even some of its own practitioners, that uke does not always punch very hard or with great determination. Hence, the joke: "If you want to start a fight with an aikido guy, just hand him your wrist."

morph4me

Goin' with the flow
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm only going by what I have seen in a number of aikido dojo. I'm sure your school is an exception...or maybe you need to move sooner.

It's probably a combination of both, theletch and I and some others on MT practice the same style of aikido, different from what most people have come to expect.

I think you are over-reacting. Aikido is a fine art that requires a high degree of technical skill. My criticism was primarily of someone's comment that the video was aikido-like. It isn't. The punches in the vid are weak and sloppy, and the techniques demonstrated by the fat guys...er, instructors, are sloppy. It is a long time criticism of aikido, by even some of its own practitioners, that uke does not always punch very hard or with great determination. Hence, the joke: "If you want to start a fight with an aikido guy, just hand him your wrist."

Aikido, like any other martial art, is different from style to style and even dojo to dojo within the same style. The video seems to be showing a Kempo instructor teaching different principles, which seem to align themselves with aikido and systema and probably various other arts.

I agree with Jade Tigress
Let's stick to the discussion of the video. This is not the place to start arguing or attacking art effectiveness, or take personal jabs at those who practice, or have practiced, the art.

:asian:

amir

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I saw lots of leements which have reminded me of lots of M.A. I have seen, inlcuding Philipine M.A.

It was also clear this was some type of lesson, with the techers trying to explain some ideas. Thus any discussion about attacker intent and the strength of the attacks is moot and only reflects on the poster.

Amir