Aikido: Effectiveness on the street

Decker

Green Belt
Reaction score
Does aikido have any inherent disadvantage against styles like, say, judo, where throws/takedowns are also practised, or does it still boil down to the individual practitioner's skill, considering neither combatant goes to the ground?

Well, I ask this becuase I've trained in only striking arts, and have 0 grappling skills, and was considering aikido, rather than judo, to complement what I know.

Thanks!

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Does aikido have any inherent disadvantage against styles like, say, judo, where throws/takedowns are also practised, or does it still boil down to the individual practitioner's skill, considering neither combatant goes to the ground?

Well, I ask this becuase I've trained in only striking arts, and have 0 grappling skills, and was considering aikido, rather than judo, to complement what I know.

Thanks!
The big differences, as I understand them, between aikido and judo are that aikido is much more about using ukes energy against them with as little of your own muscle as possible used while judo relies somewhat more on nages muscle to throw. Also, most styles of judo will also incorporate ne waza (grappling) in the curricullum...it's an integral part of the art. My aikido school does work on grappling but solely as an adjunct to traditional technique as we have a couple of instructors with some grappling skills. As for one over the other on the street...yes, it really depends on the individual rather than the art. I know, I know. There's always argument regarding that but it's what I believe.

Kennedy_Shogen_Ryu

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I had a thought after this thread was started (scary I know).
I've read through Black Belt magazines and seen ads for something called "Combat Aikido" I've looked into it online and what not, but have never been able to find much information to either substantiate or debunk this "style". Has anyone else ever heard of "Combat Aikido" and speak for or against its effectiveness/existence?

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I had a thought after this thread was started (scary I know).

I've read through Black Belt magazines and seen ads for something called "Combat Aikido" I've looked into it online and what not, but have never been able to find much information to either substantiate or debunk this "style". Has anyone else ever heard of "Combat Aikido" and speak for or against its effectiveness/existence?​
As a general rule I stay away from anything in Black Belt magazine.:) I've heard of the combat aikido group but don't have any first hand information on them. I'll dig around and see what I can find and then give you my "expert" opinion. I will say, however, that the concept of Combat Aikido seems to be anethema to the concept of aikido. Combat aikijutsu perhaps but not aikido.

Kennedy_Shogen_Ryu

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I'll dig around and see what I can find and then give you my "expert" opinion. I will say, however, that the concept of Combat Aikido seems to be anethema to the concept of aikido. Combat aikijutsu perhaps but not aikido.

Much obliged mate!

I felt the same as you that Combat Aikido was a contradiction of terms...it's probably as you said a for Aikijitsu but the 'instructor' may have felt that adding the word "combat" and using the more popular and known term of "Aikido" may assist in selling the course? Just a thought...

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I found this one on youtube. I recognize a good many of the techniques used from my own training. It's certainly much more aggressive and -jutsu like than aikido. Looks like fun. It's the Philippine version of combat aikido.

Now, this one is Jason Delucia doing combat aikido and is probably what you saw in the back of BB magazine. From what I can see in the clip there's no aikido to be found. Every throw comes after the energy has been stopped dead. He did some MMA and pancreas stuff in the past.

Yari

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

Thanks!

well, depends on the style of Aikido. And the teacher teaching. Aikido does have trows as the same as judo, since judos philosofi is the same as Aikido. Use the opponents energi and direct it into another path ny using your center.

So try out what you have of possiblities, and choose from that.

/Yari

Latest Discussions