Agnostics?

OP
Josh

Josh

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Based on my limited experience I am not sure if I am or am not an agnostic :)

Sorry, couldn't resist

If you mean are there any agnostics based on the definition being
"A person who denies or doubts the possibility of ultimate knowledge in some area of study"

I guess I am a martial arts agnostic, I do not believe anyone can know it all.

yes, there are different levels of it. :]

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I am an Athiest with a caveat...and that is, if I were to place a large bet that there are no gods or no God, I would do it. Of course, I know that I could lose, but that is par for the course.

Why do I believe that? The answer to that question is long and complex, but it revolves around science and it revolves around humanities insignificant place in this universe.

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Personally, I am much more interested in what happened before the Big Bang (i.e., "before" time itself). That is something science actually can't answer at this point.
This is a non-sensical question. There cannot be a before, as to define "before" requires a point on a timeline. Without spacetime, this cannot be reasonably defined. However, you already know that.

So, perhaps, the answer lies here: There is no before, as there simply always was.

I have a theory. My theory throws out the duality of beginning and end. I propose that black holes and the big bang are simply the same 'event' from different frames of reference.

Please note that you heard it here first. Nobody else is proposing this yet, to the best of my knowledge.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Nope, I've heard that before.

Anyways, the question may or may not make sense, we can't even answer that. There could have been something before the big bang, we really don't know

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Perhaps the real question is this...is there some little anthropromorphic ethereal dicator that is responsible for the creation of this insignificant race on this insignificant planet and who truly feels that we are "special" in any sense of the word, when compared to the truly and awesomely vast beyond comparison universe?

No.

Physics is showing that there probably isn't even a Prime Mover. Even deism is dying a slow death.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hi Upnorthkyosa

A nice concise restating of the question in a form that I often use when discoursing the existence/non-existence of God with my father :tup:.

As an aside, could you elaborate a little on your last statement?

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Hi Upnorthkyosa

A nice concise restating of the question in a form that I often use when discoursing the existence/non-existence of God with my father :tup:.

As an aside, could you elaborate a little on your last statement?

To sum it up breifly, one of the last bastions of the theist is the view that God is the ultimate knob twiddler who set the dials of the constants so that it produced our universe. Various multiverse theories are showing that these numbers aren't so special and that we just happen to live in a universe the produces us. These theories are being supported by various conformations of Young's Double Slit experiment.

LawDog

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Timeline:
Universal time is constant, no beginning, no ending. A timeline began with the formation of the first trace energy. It will end when the last trace energy disappears.

Freestyler777

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I am a former wrestler who is jewish and plays Judo simply for health, fitness, fun, and socialization. While it is a method of ethical training, it is not a religion, so I don't see how religion is a factor in training, the spiritual/ethical benefits of the martial arts apply to everyone, regardless of what they say they believe in.

Just my opinion.

qi-tah

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Saw a cool bumper sticker the other day that made me smile - thought i'd share it around:

"Millitant Agnostic - I don't know and you don't either"
icon10.gif

SageGhost83

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I don't have a name for what I believe. I guess it could be agnostic. I don't believe in a god, heaven or hell, but I think there are multiple levels of existence in the cosmos.

I'll second that. I am more of a spiritualist or something. I believe in spirits and higher levels of existence, but I don't believe that a single, personafied being is at the center of it all. I think that "god" is all people and all things as one. I believe that we are all like sparks to a flame.

Latest Discussions