Advice for losing double chin

Discussion in 'Health Tips for the Martial Artist' started by Comeback_kid7, Sep 5, 2019.

1. Comeback_kid7

Comeback_kid7 White Belt

Been slim all my life, however this double chin of mine has been bothering me.

Does anyone have any advice as to how to lose this unwanted double chin thing?

2. drop bear

drop bear Sr. Grandmaster

Look up more.

• Funny Funny x 2
  3. MetalBoar

MetalBoar Green Belt

I've found that neck flexion exercises on something like the Nautilus XPload 4 way neck or the MedX 4 way neck can substantially reduce a double chin for some people and for others it has little to no impact. I assume it's all dependent on what's causing the double chin in the first place, so no guarantees. Regardless, if you're doing martial arts a stronger neck can only be helpful so if you've got access to one of these machines I'd add neck flexion and extension (and maybe lateral too depending on your needs) to my workout routine. The machines are expensive and kind of specialized so most gyms don't seem to have them but they're great if you do have access. There are ways to achieve the same results with manual resistance or other accessories but I wouldn't want to try to advise anyone on how to train the neck remotely.

4. pdg

pdg Senior Master

Neck exercises to get rid of a double chin are like trying sit-ups to get rid of a beer gut.

You might get better muscles, but they'll still be covered with flab and loose skin...

5. MetalBoar

MetalBoar Green Belt

I've found that some people are simply lacking muscle tone in the muscles of the front of the neck and under the jaw and that when they strengthen them it will cause them to be significantly less saggy and reduce the appearance of a double chin. This is different than the false concept of spot reducing. In the case of someone who's lean and still has a double chin some good portion of the time it's loose muscles rather than loose skin that's responsible . The goal isn't to reduce fat but to firm up those slack muscles. Since the OP stated that they were slim and had always had a double chin I think there's a decent chance it might make a noticeable difference.
    You don't have to put on huge amounts of muscle, you just have to do enough work to strengthen muscles that are in a state of disuse atrophy so that they can do their job. I've never used neck exercises with a client with a goal of changing their appearance but it has had the effect more than once. I've been surprised that even a number of rather over fat individuals have had a substantial reduction in the appearance of a double chin after making only modest strength gains.

6. MetalBoar

MetalBoar Green Belt

Oh, I think I misunderstood your use of the word "sick". The generation younger than me uses "sick" as a slang term to mean really great, or impressive. I had assumed (I'm now guessing incorrectly) that you were saying someone would need to develop a very impressive set of neck muscles to have an impact. If on the other hand you meant that they would need to have some dysfunction in their neck muscles for exercise to have an impact on a double chin we're on the same page.

EDIT: The portion above where I quoted you was directed at PDG. Unlike Gerry I'm going for efficiency rather than post count so I combined my response to the two of you...

Last edited: Sep 22, 2019
  7. JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf Grandmaster

Awesome... I needed that one.

• Like Like x 1