Advantage Martial Arts Has Over Guns

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yes, you can not bring along batons or sticks explicitly designed as a weapon, such as nun-chucks and even baseball bats. Unless you are at the basefall field that is. If you goto a bar and have a baseball bat under your jacket just in case, that is illegal.
If the bar has pool tables then there will be pool sticks you can use as weapons should the need arise.
Exceptions to wearing a normal knife is also if you say go fishing, but you can't get away with a Katana etc. But there would be no excuse for bringing a knife to a public place such as a bar, or to a supermarket.

A lady was recently caught with a baseball bat in her car, which was found during a routine road control by the police. They asked what she had it for as she was clearly not a baseball player(!) and she got to fine a few hundred dollar for that for violation of weapon law because it was obviously for self defense.
She could've kept a tire iron in her car, that way she could say she had it for changing tires, but it could also be used as a weapon should the need arise.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
They have an impression of you, and your objective experience conflicts with that. It creates cognitive dissonance for them.
Especially with guns. There is a very cookie cutter expectation when it comes to trained gunfighters

It is because most gun fighters don't fight. So the only way to tell is by how they talk.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
They have an impression of you, and your objective experience conflicts with that. It creates cognitive dissonance for them.
That’s pretty far from the truth. It’s because he posted something regarding ballistics he was told and it doesn’t jive with reality. My surprise was because if you have that much experience you likely should know that’s not how it works.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
That’s pretty far from the truth. It’s because he posted something regarding ballistics he was told and it doesn’t jive with reality. My surprise was because if you have that much experience you likely should know that’s not how it works.
That handguns have less power than rifles and shotguns? That is reality and somebody doesn't even need an extensive background in firearms to know that. Rifles and shotguns are larger and more powerful than handguns and anybody who knows what a rifle, a shotgun, and a handgun is would know that. Handguns are made for portability and conceal-ability not for power the way rifles and shotguns are.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
It is because most gun fighters don't fight. So the only way to tell is by how they talk.
That is true, most people who do own guns for self defense will probably never fire them in self defense in their lifetime, and if you're smart you wouldn't want to be in a situation where it would come to that.

gyoja

2nd Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That handguns have less power than rifles and shotguns? That is reality and somebody doesn't even need an extensive background in firearms to know that. Rifles and shotguns are larger and more powerful than handguns and anybody who knows what a rifle, a shotgun, and a handgun is would know that. Handguns are made for portability and conceal-ability not for power the way rifles and shotguns are.
I don’t think anyone disagrees that high powered rifles and high gauge shotguns are more powerful than handguns. I believe the essence of the disagreement regarded the complexity of ammo type and the associated damage.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
It’s more nuanced than that. But I’m not interested in arguing with you or anyone about this.

GreenieMeanie

Black Belt
Reaction score
Ehh…apples and oranges. Rifle rounds make a bigger hole at bigger distance. Shotguns make many holes.

Don’t forget about revolvers, contact shots. Thats a different league from mag-fed handguns with a reciprocating slide.

gyoja

2nd Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ehh…apples and oranges. Rifle rounds make a bigger hole at bigger distance. Shotguns make many holes.

Don’t forget about revolvers, contact shots. Thats a different league from mag-fed handguns with a reciprocating slide.
I think the issue is expectation management. People assume that a .30 caliber round will reduce the threat immediately, while something like 9mm will not. LEOs involved in use of force and medical professionals that have experience dealing with GSW will tell you that humans are complex. There are no guarantees. Again, shot placement and bullet type are the most important factors.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score

Somebody with more experience than me said “ handguns make holes in people, rifles make holes through people, shotguns, with the right distance and ammo take chunks off people”. That’s a similar simplification to what photon said. It contains some truth, but could also be completely false depending on circumstances such as ammunitio, distance to target, shot placement, barrel length, clothing worn by the target, and a host of other details. I haven’t shot any people, but i have treated a significant number of various types of gunshot wounds in the operating room. I have seen what happens on the outside as well as the inside. I have seen people die in front of me from gunshot wounds on several occasions. I hunted with my grandfather extensively as a kid. I’ve been a shooter for over 4 decades. I’m no gunfighter, but neither am I inexperienced.

GreenieMeanie

Black Belt
Reaction score
I guess we also need to define gunfighter.
Correct me if I’m wrong, but gunfighting in principle, is not so different from say…boxing?. Covering fire? Jabbing, fakes. Moving to cover/concealment? Stepping offline, covering.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
Especially with guns. There is a very cookie cutter expectation when it comes to trained gunfighters

A gunfighter who doesn’t fight isn’t a gunfighter, so you know this because you are a gunfighter who gunfights? …It may be time to avoid any more concussions.

GreenieMeanie

Black Belt
Reaction score
Somebody with more experience than me said “ handguns make holes in people, rifles make holes through people, shotguns, with the right distance and ammo take chunks off people”. That’s a similar simplification to what photon said. It contains some truth, but could also be completely false depending on circumstances such as ammunitio, distance to target, shot placement, barrel length, clothing worn by the target, and a host of other details. I haven’t shot any people, but i have treated a significant number of various types of gunshot wounds in the operating room. I have seen what happens on the outside as well as the inside. I have seen people die in front of me from gunshot wounds on several occasions. I hunted with my grandfather extensively as a kid. I’ve been a shooter for over 4 decades. I’m no gunfighter, but neither am I inexperienced.
If your rifle is making holes THROUGH people, I would think that presents an over penetration issue.

“Snipers worry about how the bullet leaves the gun. Assaulters worry about how far the bullet punches through the target.”

Latest Discussions