adrenaline dump

matsu

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Ohh, I forgot to mention another very, VERY important point!

When you train with the risk of getting hit, even if it is NOT really hard, turn of on an adrenaline dump.

Training to hardwire your skills while having an adrenaline dump is very important to be able to keep your skills in a real situation where you'll suffer from the Adrenaline Stress Syndrome.

Thus it is an important part of training if the applications are for self defense.

thtas a quote from the proffessor
its also a point that sifu sinclair brings up a lot and why we need to drop into our stance,to partly help with that "fight or flee" intsinct that most of us have. esp beginners and /or someone who has never been confronted verbally or physically with violence.

not sure about any other beginners,or the rest of yous whne you began but it happens to me alot even when i,m training/sparring gently
i seem to be able to do the moves on my own or at real static pace but the minute we drill it with speed or pressure i freeze up get slow make mistakes.... the minute we go back to static and slow i,m better again.
any tips i can use to help or is it just experince and practise makes perfect.???

funny i always do reaallly crap when sifu stands next to me after 10mins of almost perfect technique dammitt!!!!!:uhyeah:

matsu

bully

Purple Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm the same Matsu.

Feel bloody useless sometimes.

So any tips would be good from all you experienced guys out there.

profesormental

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Greetings.

What do the results reported by matsu and bully mean?

It means that the skills are not fully ingrained into the neurology; the synaptic pathways that control those movements haven't "cemented" enough yet.

Another interesting fact is the following:

"Many skills are dependent on the mental state of the practitioner."

How is this relevant?

Well, for starters, it means that in a fully calm state, you have your skills for the drills. In another state of mind, your skills go away...

There are several ways around this. One is to progressively increase the pressure and distracting stimuli that turn on adrenaline and anxiety. Then take it to one step over your threshold and them come back down.

Your threshold will increase a bit, since you got out of your comfort zone.

With more repetitions, you will have delegated control of those movements to the unconscious level, so that instead of consciously having to control 5 to 10 step sequences, all you have to do is consciously command 1 step and off you go.

Remember that many people when in the presence of others, including their Teacher, or in fight/sparring type situations, begin having "negative self talk" like "Holy fok sau, I hope I'm doing this chit sao right!!"

If this self talk is changed to positive self talk, and your focus is on your "external", then you can trust that your "internal" training (Wing Chun structure and drills) will do it's job.

You conscious mental focus should be on specific targets, objectives, strategies and actions.

You unconscious focus, which is programmed in practice, should be on executing the actions as programmed by drills. Those subtleties that make you wonder why your Si Fu that isn't a green, 8 feet tall ball of muscle hits like The Hulk are the "internal" aspect of training that come with sophistication of your movements and skill instead of pure athleticism.

Many call it Fa Jing.

Thus you really win or loose a fight in the gym.

So if you design a mental state for executing martial movements and ingrain it at the same time you ingrain your physical movements, with a trigger whenever there is an adrenaline dump...

you will keep all your martial skills, INCLUDING most of your conscious high level thought processes!

This many times includes "Time Dilation" in which you experience as if time is going by slowly.

Best of all, if you program this conscoiusly, you can even use it at will!

Much fun!

This comes naturally with YEARS of practice and exposition to martial practice and execution. Though there are ways in which to do this in much, MUCH less time. I think about 20 to 45 hours of practice... depends on the intensity of the training.

Then it is just a question of programming responses and scenarios to trigger the Warrior State, and you just spring into action as necessary.

Note that this type of training is the reason for my username... ;)

There is MUCH more to this, so feel free to ask.

Sincerely,

Juan M. Mercado

OP
M

matsu

Purple Belt
Reaction score
thank you for such great comments and explanations proff!!

i am aware that my lack of experience is my limiting factor. i also am very aware that i am impatient and want it "now"
so iwill practise practie and then practise some more

again thank you
matsu

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
its also a point that sifu sinclair brings up a lot and why we need to drop into our stance,to partly help with that "fight or flee" intsinct that most of us have. esp beginners and /or someone who has never been confronted verbally or physically with violence.

I have done a little bit of adrenal stress training and it is quite confronting to have someone snarling and swearing at you , but after a while you switch off what they 're saying and just wait for them to come into range so you can nail them . The seminars i went to were based on the work of the British guy Geoff Thompson who while working as a bouncer in some of Englands roughest pubs and nightclubs is reputed to have been in 400 fights , i have his book and a couple of his videos and i highly recommend them.

not sure about any other beginners,or the rest of yous whne you began but it happens to me alot even when i,m training/sparring gently
i seem to be able to do the moves on my own or at real static pace but the minute we drill it with speed or pressure i freeze up get slow make mistakes.... the minute we go back to static and slow i,m better again.
any tips i can use to help or is it just experince and practise makes perfect.???

funny i always do reaallly crap when sifu stands next to me after 10mins of almost perfect technique dammitt!!!!!:uhyeah:

As the prof said the techniques have not become ingrained yet and you sound like you have some sort of performance anxiety .

Why don't you try visualisation , get yourself into a deep meditative state and imagine yourself performing the techniques flawlessly no matter what speed your partner goes at , and with your Sifu next to you watching , but still you stay relaxed and not really worried about what your techniques look like .

For this to be effective you have to use most of your senses in the visualisation scenario , hear the sounds in the kwoon , feel the sweat on your face and even the smells (as gross at it sounds ).

You can also use visualisations to help prepare for self defence situations , just think of various scenarios eg night out with your wife or girlfriend and three big yobs are standing there saying what the #### are you looking at ? or maybe a road rage type of scenario .

When you practice these type of visualisations really feel the fear deep in your gut , that terrible sense of dread that hits you in the pit of your stomach , but realize that it is only a chemical reaction . See yourself in the scenario feeling afraid but in control and ready to act if need be , also visualise peaceful outcomes to the scenarios , sometimes you might be able to talk your way out of it .

If you do these properly you will find your heart rate will climb , and you will get jittery just like a real situation , your brain can't seem to tell the difference , but you must be able to include your senses in the scenario to be effective , the sights , sounds , touch and smells.

Make sure you do some type of vigorous physical training after this mental training so you can burn off any stress hormones that might be circulating around your body.

OP
M

matsu

Purple Belt
Reaction score
as always thanks mook!

i suffer from performance anxiety lol ,yeah like a blokes going to admit to that.......oooooooooooooohhhhhhh you mean in the kwoon...... yeah, hell yeah i worry what other people think esp if sifu is dissapointed...

wont stop me tho.
have often thought about geoff thompsons books/dvds,might get me a looky!

thanks again man.

matsu

Latest Discussions