about kicks

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
There are the kicks that we train the most in our dojang:

1.-Bandal chagui/peet chagui (round kick to the torso)
2.-Dolyo chagui (ropundhouse kick to the head).
3.-Yop chagui (side kick) these one we use more the dwi-yop chagui (sliding side kick).
4.-Ti chagui (spining back kick).
5.-An chagui.
6.-Bakat chagui.
7.-Neryo/chigo chagui (Ax kick).

Some times we tdo Momdolyo chagui (spining hook kick) but not to ofthen.

In some how our dojang does not teach or train the jumping/spining kicks, like the jumping-spining hook kick (ala Vandame).

When I was in JDK Central, we did all the basic kicks plus the same kicks using spin plus the same kicks using spining and junping, this gave us quit an arsenal of kicks.

Manny

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Hi Manny. Here are the mainstays for our classes

Bi Chagi
Dollyo Chagi
Milyo Chagi
Chikyo Chagi
Naeryo Chagi
Bandae Dollyo Chagi
Huryo Chagi
Dwi Chagi
Ap-cha Olligi
Bitureo Chagi
An Chagi
Bakkat Chagi
Yeop Chagi
Ap Chagi

All practiced to low, middle and high targets, in combinations, with various jeonjin, hoojin, ilbo jeonjin, ilbo hoojin, and bandae stepping. We also have some jumping and special variations like scissor / split kicks and 540s for fun. Some kicks are practiced in modified forms e.g. bent leg chamber whip crescent, or turning kick with the ball of the foot versus the more sporty feel of the instep (great for headguards, not so good for kneecaps and heads).

We spend a LOT of time practicing kicking in slow motion, with unaided balance, which is great for building strength and balance (both of which I sorely need after taking a break)

OP
Manny

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hi Manny. Here are the mainstays for our classes

Bi Chagi
Dollyo Chagi
Milyo Chagi
Chikyo Chagi
Naeryo Chagi
Bandae Dollyo Chagi
Huryo Chagi
Dwi Chagi
Ap-cha Olligi
Bitureo Chagi
An Chagi
Bakkat Chagi
Yeop Chagi
Ap Chagi

All practiced to low, middle and high targets, in combinations, with various jeonjin, hoojin, ilbo jeonjin, ilbo hoojin, and bandae stepping. We also have some jumping and special variations like scissor / split kicks and 540s for fun. Some kicks are practiced in modified forms e.g. bent leg chamber whip crescent, or turning kick with the ball of the foot versus the more sporty feel of the instep (great for headguards, not so good for kneecaps and heads).

We spend a LOT of time practicing kicking in slow motion, with unaided balance, which is great for building strength and balance (both of which I sorely need after taking a break)

Nice!! the specialized kicks like the scissors kicks and tornado kicks never could do them in my youth and even now LOL!!!

Manny

Ironcrane

Blue Belt
Reaction score
At my school we have one called the shadowless kick. It's a very fast toe kick to the inside of the thigh.

dcsma

Orange Belt
Reaction score
At my school we have one called the shadowless kick. It's a very fast toe kick to the inside of the thigh.

For Tae Kwon Do or do you guys cross over into Shotokan Karate. Cause I know some of the combinations like that to the inner thigh do come from Shotokan Karate.

Ironcrane

Blue Belt
Reaction score
For Tae Kwon Do or do you guys cross over into Shotokan Karate. Cause I know some of the combinations like that to the inner thigh do come from Shotokan Karate.

We have it in Hung Gar Kung Fu. I didn't know it was in Karate.

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
Manny our main kicks are roundhouse, front kick, side kick, crecent kick, hook kick, spin hook, jump spin hook, axe kick, down spin, turning side kick, back kick/turning back kick, tornado, split kick (my specialty at demos for timber break), and variations of all mentioned. My second dan grading is coming up and the timber break is jump spinning hook which will be fun considering not much time (if any) is spent in class on the 'flashy' kicks, so I work on it a bit at home in my spare time. All these kicks are a part of our curriculum and we are expected to be able to do them but the majority of time spent in class kicking is spent on the less flashy kicks aimed from knee height to about solar plexus height.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
I get it now, ok.

Front Kick, Side Kick, Turn Kick, and Back Kick.
In that order of preference.

OP
Manny

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Manny our main kicks are roundhouse, front kick, side kick, crecent kick, hook kick, spin hook, jump spin hook, axe kick, down spin, turning side kick, back kick/turning back kick, tornado, split kick (my specialty at demos for timber break), and variations of all mentioned. My second dan grading is coming up and the timber break is jump spinning hook which will be fun considering not much time (if any) is spent in class on the 'flashy' kicks, so I work on it a bit at home in my spare time. All these kicks are a part of our curriculum and we are expected to be able to do them but the majority of time spent in class kicking is spent on the less flashy kicks aimed from knee height to about solar plexus height.

Nice!! for second dan grading I did (two boards one inch each one togheter) a) side kick and b) spining back kick.

I have to be fair flashy kicks (like tornado or scissors kick) are not my thing I am to heavy to perform them.

Manny