A weight lifted, well, maybe not.

Mark L

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I'm feeling a bit conflicted this week. Last Saturday I passed my Shodan test, a milestone I've sought since I began training in 1979. I'm feeling pretty good about this martial arts thing right now. It has been a long, serpentine journey. I wouldn't change a thing, not that I could if I wanted to.

I'm thinking now about something my instructor said when I saw him at my sons class Monday. "Now you have to decide what kind of a Black Belt you're going to be." It didn't sound like a challenge, or maybe it was. I don't know. This new belt feels wonderful, but it's a lot heavier than I thought it would be.

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
CONGRATULATIONS

Have you slept with it yet? There are all sorts of Black Belts, as you probably know. I heard it said once, "now it is time to grow into it".

-Michael

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mark L said:
Hi Folks,

I'm feeling a bit conflicted this week. Last Saturday I passed my Shodan test, a milestone I've sought since I began training in 1979. I'm feeling pretty good about this martial arts thing right now. It has been a long, serpentine journey. I wouldn't change a thing, not that I could if I wanted to.

I'm thinking now about something my instructor said when I saw him at my sons class Monday. "Now you have to decide what kind of a Black Belt you're going to be." It didn't sound like a challenge, or maybe it was. I don't know. This new belt feels wonderful, but it's a lot heavier than I thought it would be.

First off, congrats on passing your test! :asian: That is something that is definately an important step in your training. Now, on to what your inst. said. To me, it did not sound like a challenge, but rather a question to you. One of the goals of a black belt, is to pass on what they have learned to the lower ranked students, and help them grow in a positive fashion. However, some people, once they gain that rank, turn into the complete opposite. They become very cocky, arrogant, always show off, and always think that they are so much better than everyone else.

The above is only a guess on my part. I dont know your inst. so I can only judge him by what I hear from you. However, if you really want to know what he meant, just ask him privately.

Again, congrats on passing the test!! Let us know what you decide to do. I'd be interested in hearing the outcome.

Mike

X

XkempoX

As my Sensei said, and this saying is hanging in our dojo to remind us:

"There are black belts, then there are Black Belts."
icon3.gif

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
Mark L said:
Hi Folks,

Congratulations!
I think it's good to see a kenpoist who is humbled by his rank and who feels it's weight instead of patting his own back.
I think that what your instructor said was very insightful.
I personally think that each day a man should ask himself "What kind of man am I today?" and live out his answer. Same for a Black Belt I'd think.

Your Brother
John

A

alphamartial

XkempoX said:
As my Sensei said, and this saying is hanging in our dojo to remind us:

"There are black belts, then there are Black Belts."
icon3.gif

I really like this quote. The version I have heard, and referenced, is:
"Well, there are black belts, and there are black belts. Let us strive to be the better of the two."

I'm not sure of the origin. Anyone know who this can be credited to?

Thanks,
Chris H.

PS: Congratulations on passing your exam!

Latest Discussions