A true MMA fighter

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Lyoto Machida is by far the best MMA fighter with what I call true skills. He understands distance and foot work and does not look like all the other MMA fighters.

In what could be a good thing for WTF rules (or all TKD rules) fighting is the loss of one of Korea’s top fighter to Mr. Lyoto Machida.

Read the article below.

http://www.koreaherald.co.kr/NEWKHSITE/data/html_dir/2009/07/04/200907040047.asp

Now maybe they will separate Olympic WTF rules from the art and people (WTF fighters included) will understand that the two are not the same. If you are going to fight full contact with few limitation then you have to train for such and practice such.

Compete in Olympic rules (WTF) then train for such. The two require different mind sets and training.

However I do think that one compliments the other. The reason Mr. Lyoto Machida is so good is because he is so good at his true art of Shotakan and really uses this in ring to his advantage.

OP
ATC

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Lyoto Machida is by far the best MMA fighter with what I call true skills. He understands distance and foot work and does not look like all the other MMA fighters.

In what could be a good thing for WTF rules (or all TKD rules) fighting is the loss of one of Korea’s top fighter to Mr. Lyoto Machida.

Read the article below.

http://www.koreaherald.co.kr/NEWKHSITE/data/html_dir/2009/07/04/200907040047.asp

Now maybe they will separate Olympic WTF rules from the art and people (WTF fighters included) will understand that the two are not the same. If you are going to fight full contact with few limitation then you have to train for such and practice such.

Compete in Olympic rules (WTF) then train for such. The two require different mind sets and training.

However I do think that one compliments the other. The reason Mr. Lyoto Machida is so good is because he is so good at his true art of Shotakan and really uses this in ring to his advantage.
Oops, correction. Machida did not fight the Korean. That was another match.

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I agree that Machida is awesome, but how can you rule out GSP.

On the article, I found it rather interesting and almost word for word of my thoughts. Todays TKD is not the same reputable TKD is was 15 years ago. I remember being affraid when i turned 18 as a Black belt and fighting in the mens division. They hit hard and you had to be on top of your game. Not to say that some dont have the skill, but it is not like it was then. Hard hitting, LOADED divisions. Now you show up and your lucky to have any competition in the division. What are we doing wrong?

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I think that we have several fighters in the US that would do well in MMA. James Moontasri
comes to mind. Tough athletic and strong!!! Jesse Armendariz is another!!! I also think that Luke Ford would do well if trained!!!

Nolerama

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'd like to see more TKD in a MMA fight. But those fighters are going to have to raise their guard more.

We have a local-ish fighter that trains TKD as his primary art and fights like he's at a TKD tourney. But he doesn't get that he needs to cover his head at times... He just goes in the cage, and gets hit over and over again, in the face, and has no idea what to do on the ground. When he loses, it's a huge surprise to him.

I'll admit, he's tough. But not playing the same game, and being ineffective in something essential like defense, will eventually lead to brain damage for this kid, if he doesn't have it already.

I'd love to see pro/elite TKD people use their art in a high percentage way in a MMA format. Machida and Karate are a clear cut example that hard, surgical striking is a good strategy. But Machida defends when he has to, and is profecient in striking and ground.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I wouldn't be surprised to see someone with a base in TKD do well in MMA. They just need to make the same adaptations many strikers need to learn: how to knee from a clinch, how to avoid takedowns with the sprawl, and how to defend on the ground from the guard. It's less likely that someone with a WTF background will break through, just because of the relatively lack of work with the hands.

OP
ATC

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think that we have several fighters in the US that would do well in MMA. James Moontasri
comes to mind. Tough athletic and strong!!! Jesse Armendariz is another!!! I also think that Luke Ford would do well if trained!!!
I will make sure to ask James the next time I see him
icon12.gif
. I know a few good WTF fighters that are looking to go in a new direction once done with WTF fighting.

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I believe that Moontasri has had a couple of MMA fights already. Don't know how serious he is but he would be great.

OP
ATC

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
I believe that Moontasri has had a couple of MMA fights already. Don't know how serious he is but he would be great.
Hmmm...I will let you know if that is the case. I know James just fought at nationals in Austin. He beat Philip Yun out of Seattle that trains with us when he has time. Philip has lost to James now 3 time. Always good matches but James just has his number.

Speaking of James, I saw him stop WTF TKD fights with a punch to the hogu. I remember 2 years ago he gap one of our fighters and punched him so hard in the chest I thought the poor guy was going to cry.

Speaking of that, I saw Jason Alverez do the samething this year at Sr. Nationals. He did a truning round kick, minus the kick and used a punch. The guy dropped and did not get up. Very rare to see a KO'd from a punch to the hogu. And the funny thing was that Jason put up 2 fingers, because he wanted an extra point for the spin. Funny thing ever.

Latest Discussions