those new black belt forms??

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I tried to find the original thread but couldn't come up with the right combo of words to pull it up in the search.
You guys remember those two new black belt forms that were supposed to be for tournaments (that was the thought anyway). I think one was called Peacock?? Has anyone seen or heard anything about them in the last year or so?

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I just love Hanryu, I am currently learning it but need more info to fully understand all the movements.

hkfuie

Purple Belt
Reaction score
peacock? I wanna learn that one! I could wear a flashy uniform with SEQUINS! :) LOL!

Maybe not.

goingd

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Does anyone know what the Kukkiwon plans to do with these forms other than have them used in competition? i.e., requirements for promotion?

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Here's the other one:

Don't know what is happening with these. Maybe we can ask in Chicago this October...

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
Laurentkd

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I just love Hanryu, I am currently learning it but need more info to fully understand all the movements.

Are you learning it from a video or do you have someone teaching it to you? I am wondering how these forms are going to be standardized without a lot of people learning them very quickly in order to teach others. I really like Hanryu as well, especially after watching the video of Master Ky Tu Dang. I believe this is him as well:

Last edited by a moderator:

goingd

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I will be very upset if the majority of people start to learn these forms from videos.

One thing I really like about both of them is their emphasis on kicking. The all together movements seemed (to me) very self defense oriented.

The only thing I worry about is people trying to learn too many forms. At our studio we teach and learn all the Taegeuk and Palgwe forms, in addition to five basic forms and Koryo, all before 1st Dan. To me that is just too much. I vaguely remember some saying along the lines of, "If someone knows fifty forms but does not know how to use their techniques, they are not a master. If someone knows ten forms and understands how to use their techniques, they are a master."

Either way, I would love an opportunity to at least learn Bikak. ^~^

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
I will be very upset if the majority of people start to learn these forms from videos.

One thing I really like about both of them is their emphasis on kicking. The all together movements seemed (to me) very self defense oriented.

The only thing I worry about is people trying to learn too many forms. At our studio we teach and learn all the Taegeuk and Palgwe forms, in addition to five basic forms and Koryo, all before 1st Dan. To me that is just too much. I vaguely remember some saying along the lines of, "If someone knows fifty forms but does not know how to use their techniques, they are not a master. If someone knows ten forms and understands how to use their techniques, they are a master."

Either way, I would love an opportunity to at least learn Bikak. ^~^

Why would YOU be upset if SOMEONE ELSE earns them via video? It would make no difference to me if someone learned them via video....having said that, personally, I'll wait til someone can teach me in person. I am "video-learning impaired."

I subscribe to the theory that "less is more." I think that is sort of a Shotokan-esque hold-over in my TKD practice. I ditched the idea long ago of teaching the Palgwe poomsae and just stick with learning and absorbing the standardized KKW curriculum. But, I also enjoy practicing (which I differentiate from the term "training") in the Pyung-ahn hyung.

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Ok..after watching both of those forms, who can explain the applications of the movements (Bunkai)?

goingd

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Why would YOU be upset if SOMEONE ELSE earns them via video? It would make no difference to me if someone learned them via video....having said that, personally, I'll wait til someone can teach me in person. I am "video-learning impaired."

I subscribe to the theory that "less is more." I think that is sort of a Shotokan-esque hold-over in my TKD practice. I ditched the idea long ago of teaching the Palgwe poomsae and just stick with learning and absorbing the standardized KKW curriculum. But, I also enjoy practicing (which I differentiate from the term "training") in the Pyung-ahn hyung.
What makes no difference to you has little to nothing to do with me.
I would be upset if people - especially instructors - learned them via video because they, in my honest opinion, WOULD NOT understand them. That certainly does not affect me directly, but I care about how Taekwondo is taught. I do not want to see an even lower standard of understanding in this country. That is why I would be upset.

^~^

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well, I do like these forms, but would any of you argue that they are meant to contain some deep, insightful applications? Coming from the KKW, I would imagine they are meant to showcase fluid & powerful kicking methods with speedy and smooth footwork. By those standards I'd say the forms succeed, and I don't see a problem with learning them from a video if you're already a dan belt.

goingd

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I think what spurred the creation of these forms was a desire for something a little flashier in competition. And although the Kukkiwon has already changed some details of the traditional black belt forms "scientifically" (i.e., to make them less Japanese) I think that they wanted a greater emphasis on rapid motion, and more kicking. I am personally please with and fond of these two new forms.

^~^

Latest Discussions