A Tale of Courage from the Marvelous Monk Wong

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
W

Wong Follower

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I've been talking about Chinese martial arts in a Chinese martial arts forum. Keep up mate.

gyoja

3rd Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's quite revealing how everyone starts getting scared and changing the topic of conversation when I reveal where I will be teaching tomorrow morning.
I feel know fear. If I was in London, then I would definitely be there out of the sheer entertainment value. Assuming that others are afraid says a lot about your lack of confidence.

Hot Lunch

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
It's quite revealing how everyone starts getting scared and changing the topic of conversation when I reveal where I will be teaching tomorrow morning.
I asked you if a kaicho of a major international association would be part of these circles you speak of. If you want to dismiss Japanese words and say that the meanings of them are irrelevant, fine. But the question still remains. Would such a person be a member of these circles? Yes or no?

OP
W

Wong Follower

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I'm talking about Chinese martial arts in a Chinese martial arts sub-forum. Let's stop using irrelevant Japanese terms.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It's a Japanese word of no relevance to this conversation. Next.
OK....I still wanted to know so I looked it up and found out it means something like chairman, president or the big boss. But more importantly, I found a picture. I think it's very important!
Ram_Kaicho_in_April_2024_%28cropped%29.jpg

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm talking about Chinese martial arts in a Chinese martial arts sub-forum. Let's stop using irrelevant Japanese terms.
Maybe you'd prefer words something like Dai-Sifu, Si-Gung, Si-dai-gung, or Chung-si? They have a nice Chinese-y sound!

Oh! Oh! and Si-jo. Si-jo is good. I had a younger Kung fu brother back in the 80s who went off on his own and took on the title Si-fu and then later, Si-jo. Very important, to be sure.

Sadly he's dead now.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I used the title si-fu for a while. Then I went to coach. Now I go by Steve.

...If you need a more Chinese-sounding title, you can call me "fei-jai Steve".

I was told that fei-jai (romanized spelling uncertain) means "fat-so" in Cantonese, so it seems appropriate these days!

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm guessing here, but my vote is 花拳绣腿
I ran this through Google translate and got: Flower fist embroidered legs

I feel so much wiser now! Not. :confused:

I thought that "flower-fist" was a term for useless, flowerey, made-up movements....

Oooooh.... I get it now! :p

Community Verified icon

Last edited:

Hot Lunch

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I've asked you as at least twice to explain what you mean by "high level martial arts circles," and gyoja asked you at least once. I also asked you at least twice if a particular type of individual would be a member of such circles. You still haven't answered. I'm sure that, right now, you're trying like hell to think up a definition of "high level martial arts circles" that would exclude members of this forum, or people that members of this forum have direct access to. That's why we don't have an answer from you yet, despite the numerous times you've been asked.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Well this has been fun...but I no longer wish to waste time on this load of Wuxia so...

To take a page from "Zen in the martial arts" by Joe Hyams

On one such occasion we talked about the difference between wasting time and spending time. Bruce was the first to speak.

“To spend time is to pass it in a specific manner” he said. “We are spending it during lessons just as we are spending it now in conversation. To waste time is to expend it thoughtlessly or carelessly. We all have time to either spend or waste and it is our decision what to do with it. But once passed, it is gone forever.

“It is the most precious commodity we have,“ agreed Sterling. “I always view my time as divided into infinite moments or transactions or contacts. Anyone who steals my time is stealing my life because they are taking my existence from me. As I get older, I realize that time is the only thing I have left. So when someone comes to me with a project, I estimate the time it will take me to do it and then ask myself, “Do I want to spend weeks or months of what little time I have on this project” Is it worth it or is it wasting my time?” If I consider the project time-worthy I do it.

“I apply this same yardstick to my social relations. I will not permit people to steal my time. I have limited my friends to those people with whom time passes happily. There are moments in my life - necessary moments - when I don?t do anything but what is my choice. The choice of how I spend my time is mine, and it is not dictated by social convention”

After Sterling finished talking, Bruce looked into space for a few moments. When he finally spoke, it was to ask if he could make a telephone call.

When he came back, Bruce was smiling. “I just cancelled an appointment.” he said. “It was with someone who wanted to waste my time and not help me spend it”

and the Wong Follower is wasting my time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions