A Strange Occurance

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Something very strange happened this morning that has left me a feeling a little uneasy. I was out this morning and called my husband from my car. He said that our neighbor called him at work and told him someone driving a blue Honda Pilot drove up to our house, stopped in front, took a picture of the house and drove off. What the hell??? I don't know who or what that could be about but it's strange and I don't know whether to be concerned or not.

I wondered about reporting it but what can be done? I wish the neighbor got the plate number but am glad he noticed it and let my husband know.

What do you think about this? What would you do? Am I over-reacting? I just can't fathom why someone would do that...makes me a little uneasy.

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It could be perfectly harmless. Someone may be in the market for a house, spotted yours, loved the design, and took a picture to show the real estate agent and say, "Find me something like *this*"
Sounds like people watch out for each other in your neighborhood. That's always a good thing.

HKphooey

Senior Master
Reaction score
I would start by calling the town to see if the assessor was in the area. Some are lazy and just come out and take a quick picture for their records.

I have also had someone like the work I did on my home and took a picture to show their contractor. I was a little freaked out too when my neighbor said someone was taking pictures of the house. They later came by when we were home and told us what they had done. :)

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
Kreth said:
It could be perfectly harmless. Someone may be in the market for a house, spotted yours, loved the design, and took a picture to show the real estate agent and say, "Find me something like *this*"
Sounds like people watch out for each other in your neighborhood. That's always a good thing.

I've actually done that quite a bit. Find a exterior feature on a house I like, I go get a photograph of it. Did that this week during my vacation. The guy had a cool natural drift wood fence. Wife took some pictures of windows she liked too. She has been known to take pictures of plants people have too. I tend to like rock work in peoples chimneys and house. Just getting ideas for places we would like to buy/build and things we would like to do :)

Just to be safe, I'd keep an eye out though, but I'd not overly panic.

Kenpojujitsu3

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Jade Tigress said:
Something very strange happened this morning that has left me a feeling a little uneasy. I was out this morning and called my husband from my car. He said that our neighbor called him at work and told him someone driving a blue Honda Pilot drove up to our house, stopped in front, took a picture of the house and drove off. What the hell??? I don't know who or what that could be about but it's strange and I don't know whether to be concerned or not.

I wondered about reporting it but what can be done? I wish the neighbor got the plate number but am glad he noticed it and let my husband know.

What do you think about this? What would you do? Am I over-reacting? I just can't fathom why someone would do that...makes me a little uneasy.

I'd be concerned but not overly so. It sounds like either what the other posters mentioned or possibly some legal issue on a very small scale. But one can never be too sure and "assumption is the mother of all..........

rutherford

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
You just bought that house, right?

Could have been an appraiser working up a figure for another house and wanted to use yours to support their numbers.

Of course, they could be casing the joint to break in when you're not home. Hope not!

OP
Jade Tigress

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I won't worry about it. Perhaps it was an assessor. Just weird. If our house was more unique I would think it was to show a realtor or something, but I live in a cookie cutter neighborhood, about every other house looks like mine...lol.

We are very fortunate to have fantastic neighbors who watch out for each other around here. It's a very tight and friendly neighborhood. It just creeped me out a bit, especially since our neighbor, who has lived here since new construction (about 7 years) felt it warranted a phone call to my husband.

In any case, I appreciate the reassurance.

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Maybe nothing, maybe something. :idunno:

I taken pictures of things that've caught my attention as other members have stated. If I see the homeowner, I will of course attempt to explain what I'm doing. Just always thought of it as an expected courtesy.

If I were in your shoes though, I still probably step up the vigilence for a short time.

hemi

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I guess I am guilty of some of this myself. In the subdivision I live in there is a family with the same house I have. I noticed several times that the home owners have installed outdoor lights near their foundation and they light up the side of the house. Well I would feel stupid going up to them and asking how they ran the conduit and where they drilled into the brick to tie into the main electric panel. So I drove to the house took out my digital camera with a 10x zoom and took a few pictures to check it out and maybe copy their idea.

Yes if they had come outside I would have explained why I was taking pictures but since they didn’t I just left.

green meanie

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Jade Tigress said:
Something very strange happened this morning that has left me a feeling a little uneasy. I was out this morning and called my husband from my car. He said that our neighbor called him at work and told him someone driving a blue Honda Pilot drove up to our house, stopped in front, took a picture of the house and drove off.

Hey. Happened here once too and creeped me out as well. Turned out someone was putting together a scrapbook for their upcoming family reunion and a great grandparent or something had grown up in this house. Doesn't hurt to be cautious but it could be something as simple as that. Hope this helps. :)

fireman00

Brown Belt
Reaction score
To get an accurate value of a house being sold in the area banks/ lending institutions will usually go around to and find x number of like houses in the area - take pictures then send the pics along with the values of the houses to the lender.

That's what happened when we bought our home.

Nice to see that your neighbors are looking out for you.

OP
Jade Tigress

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
green meanie said:
Hey. Happened here once too and creeped me out as well.

Well I'm glad it's not just me. It's probably nothing and apparently more common than I would have thought.

Now...if I suddenly stop posting, you all will know it was really a psycho killer stalking his next victims and I am probably lying in a pool of my own blood never to post again... :uhyeah:

green meanie

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Jade Tigress said:
Now...if I suddenly stop posting, you all will know it was really a psycho killer stalking his next victims and I am probably lying in a pool of my own blood never to post again... :uhyeah:

And just like your neighbors, we'll be keeping an eye out for you. :)

Jimi

Black Belt
Reaction score
It probably would not hurt to check with local law enforcement to be sure there is no real security risk from that action. It is unlikely, but maybe there are some kind of scams or rip off situtations that start like this. If the cops laugh it off, you are ok and barley wasted any time. If they get concerned for you, maybe they will have insight on some crime wave or criminal activity. Its all up to you. It is great that your neighbors look out for you that way. I grew up just outside DC so I am almost always thinking the worst of things. Just me. Keep your eyes open for your neighbor as well. PEACE

Fluffy

Black Belt
Reaction score
Call it in to be safe. The police, if they have the time, can do a quick check on the plate number. The worst that could happen is the police can say no, the best - you foiled a planned home robbery.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, If someone called your husband to say someone is going to take a picture of your house......You should be OK with this. They didn't want you to be alarm....that is why he call your husband...DO NOT OVER REACT!

Most likely for real estate reasons! ...now if they were taking your photos? ...this may be different....let it go....Aloha

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The same thing happened to me shortly after I bought my house - and as others have said, it was an assessor, using a picture of my house for other assessments, as he told me when I asked him (he had gotten out of my car to take a picture of the side of the house; I live on a corner). A one-time instance is probably nothing to worry about; if, however, you see the same car doing the same thing again, then I would suggest caution.

Congrats on your new home - I've been out of the country (I got back today) and thus out of the loop.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
rutherford said:
You just bought that house, right?

Could have been an appraiser working up a figure for another house and wanted to use yours to support their numbers.

Of course, they could be casing the joint to break in when you're not home. Hope not!
Or just a realtor who hasn't heard the house was sold.

At this point, you can make a police report if you want to...but the simple truth is that there's no real evidence that they broke the law.

Keep your eyes open...but don't go paranoid nuts!

evenflow1121

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Might actually be some real estate guy, some times they do that, then you get some mailer saying that they were in the neighborhood and were wondering if you are considering on selling your house to call them. I wouldnt be too concerned about it.

Latest Discussions