A story of an attempted kidnapping.

Discussion in 'General Self Defense' started by Charlemagne, Feb 22, 2018.

1. Charlemagne

Charlemagne Black Belt

A friend of mine just shared this, and I thought worth spreading around. It's scary as heck, and every parent's fear, but it's better to have knowledge of how they operate (at least one of the ways).

- Names redacted to preserve privacy.

2. jks9199

jks9199 Administrator Staff Member

• LifeTime Supporting Member
    Was this a personal experience, or something your friend came across on the internet?

By far, most child abductions are instances of custodial interference, where a parent (or someone acting on their behalf) grabs the child. Stranger abductions are rather rare. In nearly 2 decades of law enforcement experience, I've not seen an incident like that at all. The National Center for Missing and Exploited Children has done extensive tracking on attempted abductions, and I don't see a ploy like that in their report.

I'm not discounting the importance of being aware of who's around you or your children, and who's paying attention to them -- as well as the nature of that attention -- but, at the same time, so many of these stories get passed around that they create a false impression or overinflate risks.

Attached Files:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. Charlemagne

Charlemagne Black Belt

It happened to her friend, and she shared it with me. And I am sure that things can get blown out of proportion, but that does not mean that they don't happen either. Many of us are training MA for a scenario that is statistically very unlikely for the average person, but we still train. This is no different.