Blocking useless?

TMA17

Black Belt
Reaction score
I’m not sure I agree. He starts off at a certain distance, but later does block by moving in. In WC you step in and can do a number of things to stop a hook. However I think he is right in that it’s very hard to pull off blocks in a real situation.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
I use blocks all the time. I never use the boxing cover up because I don't like it and whenever I spar I use traditional style blocks all through my fighting career and sparring

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Did someone say "blocking?"

Walker page52
by lklawson on MartialTalk.Com - Friendly Martial Arts Forum Community

Edwin Haislet's Boxing - pp24 Fig 32 The Brush away

Doran's Science of Self Defense

Defensive Exercises - Donald Walker

Foxes Boxing and How to Train

Hutchison

James J Corbett - Scientific Boxing

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is blocking useless...

Let's see... every martial system you look at features some form of blocking. Some use powerful force-on-force blocks to stopp the attack, others parry more, some intercept, some attack the incoming attack, some absorb an attack and wrap... but they all feature some means of stopping someone's attack before it lands. So, either there's a reason they all include it -- and maintain it.

Maybe if blocks don't work for you, you don't understand how they're designed to work within your system, and why they're there.

OP
T

TMA17

Black Belt
Reaction score
I found this video on the internet so it has to be true. :D

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I’m not sure I agree. He starts off at a certain distance, but later does block by moving in. In WC you step in and can do a number of things to stop a hook. However I think he is right in that it’s very hard to pull off blocks in a real situation.

For what they are doing what he suggests is probably on point.

It is a very conservative way of stopping punches that does not require any gamesmanship. Punches do come out too fast for me to stop if i was to try to adress each punch individualy.

It becomes a bang for buck issue.

Now if you create a space and time advantage you can block all you want. But then you need footwork and game. Which may be to involved a method to stop a street attack.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
When your opponent grabs on your wrist, you can use your other

1. arm to break that hold.
2. hand to hold on his grip and lock on his wrist.

What's the difference here?

- 1 is conservative solution. You just want to break apart that grip.
- 2 is aggressive solution. Your opponent's arm control on you will become your arm control on him.

If you apply the same logic to punch,

- block is conservative solution. You want to avoid be punched.
- wrap is aggressive solution. You want to control your opponent's arm.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Blocking is one way to avoid being hit. There's plenty of others. But, there is a reason why the term "block and counter" exists in striking Arts.

I usually fight with my hands up. [the only time I don't is if I'm baiting] If we're sparring in any kind of striking game, and a fancy young kicker whips a kick to my head, I will slap block that puppy and smack him before he can get his kick down. It's because my hands are right there.

And blocking to the body sometimes consists of turning and taking the strike on the forearm, hip, whatever. It's still a block.

Of course.....I do end up blocking with my face from time to time. Been working on that block a long time.

I haven't watched that vid yet. But a quick peek showed me he did what I call blocking. Probably a terminology thing.

OP
T

TMA17

Black Belt
Reaction score
Blocking fast punches is very difficult, but it can be done. Disrupting the attacker quickly as they attack you is an option. Of course great head movement is another.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

He doesn't understand how to to read punches or the value of techniques. If you train your defense correct then you'll soon discover that blocking isn't about guessing what punches are coming. It's about limiting the types of punches your opponent can throw which cuts down on the possible punches you can get. For example, Stay at long arm range and you'll only get jabs, step in a little closer and you'll only get jabs and haymakers. Each range has a limited amount of the types of punches that are possible. If you understand this then you'll know which punches are most likely to be thrown and where.

As for people who block and throw punches, I see it all the time. A boxer will block then counter, or sit a series of punches while blocking waiting for an opening. The block that he specifically says doesn't work is done by World Champion Silva Anderson you'll need to slow it down to see it, but you can see it at the @0:25 mark

Covering = Blocking. Covering blocks strikes from hitting what's behind the cover.

The covering the face and moving forward will literally get you killed by someone who has a good hook and knows how to step off center. If you notice his types of covers leaves the vulnerable areas of his head open and it leaves his sides open. I'm assuming he takes this cover because as a police officer has a protective vest? I've never worn a protective vest so I'm not sure how those things are against blunt trauma. My guess is that if it gives then it's still possible to punch through it.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Blocking is one way to avoid being hit. There's plenty of others. But, there is a reason why the term "block and counter" exists in striking Arts.

I usually fight with my hands up. [the only time I don't is if I'm baiting] If we're sparring in any kind of striking game, and a fancy young kicker whips a kick to my head, I will slap block that puppy and smack him before he can get his kick down. It's because my hands are right there.

And blocking to the body sometimes consists of turning and taking the strike on the forearm, hip, whatever. It's still a block.

Of course.....I do end up blocking with my face from time to time. Been working on that block a long time.

I haven't watched that vid yet. But a quick peek showed me he did what I call blocking. Probably a terminology thing.

Yeah but if he makes the distinction between blocking and covering. We kind of have to go with that.

Otherwise we are ignoring the point to play semantics.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Blocking fast punches is very difficult, but it can be done. Disrupting the attacker quickly as they attack you is an option. Of course great head movement is another.

Head movement is great for somethings and bad for others. Head movement isn't going to save you from a grab, kick, sweep, knee or a punch kick, combination. You have to keep in mind that the video you showed is of a boxer. Boxers only punch and as a result they can afford to leave themselves open for grabs, kicks, and sweeps. Don't get me wrong, the head movement is good, but it's usually only looks good when someone's punching. The moment someone starts throwing punch kick combos, the more at risk those types of head movements will put you in.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Head movement is great for somethings and bad for others. Head movement isn't going to save you from a grab, kick, sweep, knee or a punch kick, combination. You have to keep in mind that the video you showed is of a boxer. Boxers only punch and as a result they can afford to leave themselves open for grabs, kicks, and sweeps. Don't get me wrong, the head movement is good, but it's usually only looks good when someone's punching. The moment someone starts throwing punch kick combos, the more at risk those types of head movements will put you in.

That guy isn't only boxing.

Anarax

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

Though I think he makes some good points, he's discussing more his preferences than anything. Skip to 2:57 and Lyoto uses almost the same exact block that Chad Lyman asks for emails of Pro fighters that use said technique.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Though I think he makes some good points, he's discussing more his preferences than anything.
I wouldn't even say that it's his preference. Preference is saying "This is what works for me. Here's why" "I don't like using... Here's why." When he starts to invalidate things based on his believe and understanding of a technique then it's no longer a Preference. I understand he wants to appear to be knowledgeable, but sometimes that desire puts us out on a limb and we end up speaking beyond our knowledge and understanding.

My guess he is trying to address some things that he may have seen in other self-defense videos where they use a double arm black on one punch. For me personally, I have never seen a Martial Arts school or system teach to block with both arms that way. For the schools and systems that I know of, when it comes to blocking punches, one arm is free so they can counter.

I will say this much though. In the context of what he's following up with, his method of blocking /covering makes more sense. He's specifically moving in like that to target a punching arm. Now, how often that opportunity come up in a real fight? who knows.

I can say this much. I haven't seen an MMA fighter pull off what he's trying to do.

Anarax

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I wouldn't even say that it's his preference. Preference is saying "This is what works for me. Here's why" "I don't like using... Here's why." When he starts to invalidate things based on his believe and understanding of a technique then it's no longer a Preference. I understand he wants to appear to be knowledgeable, but sometimes that desire puts us out on a limb and we end up speaking beyond our knowledge and understanding.

My guess he is trying to address some things that he may have seen in other self-defense videos where they use a double arm black on one punch. For me personally, I have never seen a Martial Arts school or system teach to block with both arms that way. For the schools and systems that I know of, when it comes to blocking punches, one arm is free so they can counter.

I will say this much though. In the context of what he's following up with, his method of blocking /covering makes more sense. He's specifically moving in like that to target a punching arm. Now, how often that opportunity come up in a real fight? who knows.

I can say this much. I haven't seen an MMA fighter pull off what he's trying to do.

I went into research mode looking for blocking examples videos while playing his in the background and I missed some of that. After re-watching the video I see the invalidation he tries to make.

Latest Discussions