A question re. pressure points.

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Doc said:
Makes all the sense in the world. And if you were standing here, I'd show it to you. Of all the 'experts' I've ever heard, no one ever speaks of posture. And the one thing I learned from my teacher is that posture is everything.

Speaking second-hand for my Teacher,who is a certified instructor at Kyusho International, this was the most important thing we learned when you visited us, Doc. Read their posture, manipulate it, control your own... everything else takes care of itself. "Muscle reassignment" is so cool.

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
RoninPimp said:
LOL @ super secret pressure point knowledge. Blind faith anyone?
In the history of mankind, the most sophisticated knowledge in any field has always been in the hands of a very few. Take any endeavor and you will find a very small group of people who are constantly sought out for an insight that, despite the plethora of people in the field, always seem to be ahead of everyone else. Then among that group, there is always just one or two that stand above the elite. Everyone who goes to medical school and becomes a doctor is not destined to be a great thoracic surgeon just because they graduated. It appears all doctors have at least access to the same knowledge, so why are their 'elite' in any field? Why is there always that one or two doctors that evryone knows is the 'only person' you want to do a particular procedure?

My teacher never used the word 'secret' in reference to anything. He said, "There's things you know, and things you don't know. Nobody is hiding anything, but some posess the intellect, skill, and finally the luck to have access to information that others don't. Then you must have the drive to seek it out and invest the time." - Ed Parker Sr.

There are people who know how to build skycrapers, or open a heart and put it back together, while most of us just shake our collective heads. But there is always that small group of people among them that will do it better than everyone else.

Funny how in all the activities in the world, no one ever considers the top engineer in his field as 'knowing secrets.' E=MC2 wasn't a 'secret.' Its just not reality to think that everyone is at the same level in anything, and especially the martial arts. Besides the Chinese approach wasn't like any of the punch, kick, wrestle crowd. Their approach was science based, but there always has and will be a 'lowest common denominator' in life. And those are the ones who would have you believe, 'its all the same' and dismiss what they don't know as a 'crappy secret.' The cool thing is the ones that 'know' and the ones that know they know because they've been there, just smile:)

Some people flew around the world to be with Ed Parker while others couldn't. Wasn't their fault. Then there were a bunch who were lucky enough to be around him, and they didn't learn anymore than anyone else who wasn't around him. See the intellect, skill, luck, time, and drive equation.

"If a guy tell you his pea shooter is as good as your machine gun, that's his problem not yours. Sooner or later reality will hit him smack in the face." - Ed Parker Sr.

"You can't save everyone and don't even try. Just try to not be living next door to them when they go off and the police come." - Dennis Miller

Bode

Green Belt
Reaction score
Doc said:
My teacher never used the word 'secret' in reference to anything. He said, "There's things you know, and things you don't know. Nobody is hiding anything, but some posess the intellect, skill, and finally the luck to have access to information that others don't. Then you must have the drive to seek it out and invest the time." - Ed Parker Sr.
I must support Doc on this. As his student I am constantly discovering something new as I watch him move. Was it a secret? No. Was it my lack of a trained eye? Yes. I simply couldn't see the minute details because I hadn't educated myself at that particular level.
I equate it to reading a technical book. Read it once and you retain an overview. Read it twice and you remember a little more. Read it again and you start to actually understand the material.

RoninPimp

Brown Belt
Reaction score
So you guys can demonstrate repeatable effective pressure point techniques against resisting opponents?

D.Cobb

2nd Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
DavidCC said:
Speaking second-hand for my Teacher,who is a certified instructor at Kyusho International, this was the most important thing we learned when you visited us, Doc. Read their posture, manipulate it, control your own... everything else takes care of itself. "Muscle reassignment" is so cool.

Just wondering David, who is your instructor?

--Dave

D.Cobb

2nd Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
RoninPimp said:
So you guys can demonstrate repeatable effective pressure point techniques against resisting opponents?

Not only resisting, but also non compliant. :rolleyes:

--Dave

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Void (Where still, this merciless GOD torme
RoninPimp said:
-You guys are set to revolutionize the MA world then!

icon12.gif

D.Cobb

2nd Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
RoninPimp said:
-You guys are set to revolutionize the MA world then!

The information is out there, but like Doc said, not everyone will get it or understand it.
Also, some people aren't prepared to take the time it takes to learn this stuff.

--Dave