A Question for the Iceman???

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
My whole thing about a 5 year old black belt is, "how can that mean anything to the kid?" He/she has "peaked" at 5. Thelikelyhood of there being a "been there, done that" attitude is gonna be huge with that child.

I have an 8 year old BB that I took in from another school (as a lot of you know). While his respect for me is what I'd expect from a kid who's spent 3 years in a dojang, his ability is sorely lacking. His technique was "good enough" at the old school because mom's check cleared. I have my doubts as to whether he will stick around long enough to learn the Art. I think my standards will be too much for him. In his mind, he's "got it" already.

You posted this in 2006 is the Kid still with you?

Fing Fang Foom

Green Belt
Reaction score
.... I of course don't know nuthin' bout this kid, but if he has the attitude "he peaked" with a black belt, he probably failed.

I would think getting your bb would just be the "beginning" of your journey :D

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My whole thing about a 5 year old black belt is, "how can that mean anything to the kid?" He/she has "peaked" at 5. Thelikelyhood of there being a "been there, done that" attitude is gonna be huge with that child.

I have an 8 year old BB that I took in from another school (as a lot of you know). While his respect for me is what I'd expect from a kid who's spent 3 years in a dojang, his ability is sorely lacking. His technique was "good enough" at the old school because mom's check cleared. I have my doubts as to whether he will stick around long enough to learn the Art. I think my standards will be too much for him. In his mind, he's "got it" already.

You posted this in 2006 is the Kid still with you?

No, he didn't stick around too long. Almost from day one, his mom would ask me when the boy would be eligible to test for 2nd Poom. I explained to both of them may times that he would (among many other things) have to perform 11 forms for his test. He could not remember any of them.

The last I heard, he was off to conquer the violin. Good thing there are no belts in that. He can play for the rest of his life just to be "fair" at it. Sadly, his TKD career didn't last longer.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
I was at a Bally's Health club the other day . They have what appears to be a McDojo inside. See parents bringing in all sorts of munchkins with brown andBlack Belts, walking them thru the parking lot, holding their hands tightly.

I think at least one basic criteria could be that if the kid isn't mature enough to get himself thru a parking lot or across a street, then they are not mature enough for a Black Belt.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It is sad to see so many young childern wearing what took me a lifetime to achieve and all little Johnny mom and dad seem to care about is the next test and whenthey will be a BB.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
.... I of course don't know nuthin' bout this kid, but if he has the attitude "he peaked" with a black belt, he probably failed.

I would think getting your bb would just be the "beginning" of your journey :D

An adult is smart enough to generally make the distinction but a child really or rarely does. I have witnessed many children peak and then quit forever. Often when out and about when someone learns what I am they will say oh yah I used to study when I was a kid. Some even think they still have the skills though they have not practiced in a long, long time. (how misguided) Or that they can relate to what I do. (now that is funny) Personally handing a black belt to a child is a great way for them to rather quickly move on to the next thing with little to no appreciation for it! Just my 02. as always!
icon6.gif

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
An adult is smart enough to generally make the distinction but a child really or rarely does. I have witnessed many children peak and then quit forever. Often when out and about when someone learns what I am they will say oh yah I used to study when I was a kid. Some even think they still have the skills though they have not practiced in a long, long time. (how misguided) Or that they can relate to what I do. (now that is funny) Personally handing a black belt to a child is a great way for them to rather quickly move on to the next thing with little to no appreciation for it! Just my 02. as always!
icon6.gif

My first thought when I hear someone say they still think they have their skills is, "they obviously were never hit hard during their training." I think being hit hard brings a certain level of humility about our capacity to take punishment, let alone dish it out. That said, I've met too many 40 year old ex high school football players who now get tired even saying the term "wind sprint" who think they can physically do now what they did at 17. It is amazing what the mind allows us to believe about ourselves.

OP
G

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
No, he didn't stick around too long. Almost from day one, his mom would ask me when the boy would be eligible to test for 2nd Poom. I explained to both of them may times that he would (among many other things) have to perform 11 forms for his test. He could not remember any of them.

The last I heard, he was off to conquer the violin. Good thing there are no belts in that. He can play for the rest of his life just to be "fair" at it. Sadly, his TKD career didn't last longer.

Your story is all to familiar! It is not always the case! Very few kids have the dedication and focus to keep going!!! It is as if the BB(Poom) is like a magic Knighting and once bestowed it needs no more nurturing. When we signed my son up for his second year in TKD. I was not very involved at the time and was against it!!! I told my son that if I was going to pay for another year of this he was not going to quit that Martial Arts it is a life long commitment and I would not waste another dime if he was not committed.

I fully expected him not to be able to grasp this( he was six). His answer was why would I quit TKD I am going to be a Master. That was Seven years ago and allot of Blood ,Sweat and Tears on his part! I have no doubt that this is a life long passion for him and he will achieve his goals.

About 1 week ago he told me that he wanted to be a Police Officer! He had already researched Criminal Justice Degrees and several avenues to get into Law Enforcement. A Cop would not be my first career choice for my son but I know him! You can bet that he will become a Police Officer. I asked him what about TKD. His answer " TKD will only help me as a cop nothing has changed Dad I want to be a Cop and a Martial Artist". When he makes up his mind about something it is a done deal!!!!

Last edited:

Archtkd

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I fully expected him not to be able to grasp this( he was six). His answer was why would I quit TKD I am going to be a Master. That was Seven years ago and allot of Blood ,Sweat and Tears on his part! I have no doubt that this is a life long passion for him and he will achieve his goals.

About 1 week ago he told me that he wanted to be a Police Officer! He had already researched Criminal Justice Degrees and several avenues to get into Law Enforcement. A Cop would not be my first career choice for my son but I know him you can bet that he will become a Police Officer. I asked him what about TKD. His answer I think that TKD will only help me as a cop.

This is sweet. You have wonderful son and you inspire us with your hard work to be a good father.

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
It is sad to see so many young childern wearing what took me a lifetime to achieve and all little Johnny mom and dad seem to care about is the next test and whenthey will be a BB.

I am with Terry in this. When I returned TKD 3 years ago my actual sambonim take me as a 1st Dan Black Belt even I told him if I need to start from cero I will use the white belt and then scallate the belts one by one, he told me not to, that I was a black belt and he knew my former sambonim very well.

It was no easy, I had flashbacks of the poomsaes and in some poit I mixed them, my sambonim trained with me and we overcome this things step by step it almost took me one year to recall all the poomsae. It took me 3 full years to be sure I was ready for the next step, the second dan.

For me it's weird to see small children and even kids below 17-18 years who have black belts or poom belts in their waist, I'm still thinking the dans would be given to 18 years or more people who deserve it.

Manny

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have a friend who runs a dojang a few miles from a certain "hot chocolate loving, Bentley driving" master that those of us who went to Chicago in October for the KKW Instructors Course are all too familiar with.

I asked my friend if he gets a lot of this guy's students after they receive their quick BB that they paid way too much for. He was sad when he said, "sadly, they don't stick around. He (speaking of that master) has ruined them for good TKD. They'll show up here, but when they found out how hard it really is, they don't stay."

I think a bad instructor is like an inoculation against a disease. They get just enough of the real thing to build up an immunity & never really catch the impact of our wonderful Art.

OP
G

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
So is that Mom's genes or Dad's.
icon10.gif

A little of both...My wife is a driven high achieving women...She had quite the career going before she decided to stay @ home...we both tend to be very goal oriented she in many ways is more driven than I am...My daughter is the twin of my wife....my son is more like me...but we all have many things in common...

OP
G

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
This is sweet. You have wonderful son and you inspire us with your hard work to be a good father.

Thanks! I really appreciate what you said! Being a father to my son and daughter is the most important thing that I will ever do! As you can see I am very proud of them.

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
That said, I've met too many 40 year old ex high school football players who now get tired even saying the term "wind sprint" who think they can physically do now what they did at 17. It is amazing what the mind allows us to believe about ourselves.
As I have said many times, I have to be very careful to never let my eternally 21 year old brain write a check my 61 year old body can't cash.

Latest Discussions