A little help if you dont mind

KempoGuy06

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hello to all the CMA people here on MT. I was wondering if any of you out there would be able to help me. We have a thread over in the Kempo/Kenpo part of the forum about the 5 animals that are represented in our style. Here is the link if you would like to take a look http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44437

I was wondering if any of you could explain any information about the animals represented in Kung Fu
How many are there?
What are they?
What do they represent?

Thank you in advance for any help.

B

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hello to all the CMA people here on MT. I was wondering if any of you out there would be able to help me. We have a thread over in the Kempo/Kenpo part of the forum about the 5 animals that are represented in our style. Here is the link if you would like to take a look http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44437

I was wondering if any of you could explain any information about the animals represented in Kung Fu
How many are there?
What are they?
What do they represent?

Thank you in advance for any help.

B

To quote my college psych teacher... "It depends...". Seriously. It depends.

There the "Big five" or "Famous Five", there are stand alones, there are animals represented in internal, there are made up animals for the American audience by Asians & Americans alike ... it depends.

OP
KempoGuy06

KempoGuy06

Grandmaster
Reaction score
To quote my college psych teacher... "It depends...". Seriously. It depends.

There the "Big five" or "Famous Five", there are stand alones, there are animals represented in internal, there are made up animals for the American audience by Asians & Americans alike ... it depends.

oh...well...this makes it a little tough.

Are the "Big Five" and the "Famous Five" the same? what are the animals in each?

What are the ones represented in internal?

Ill start with those for now and we can go from there, if you dont mind.

B

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
oh...well...this makes it a little tough.

Are the "Big Five" and the "Famous Five" the same? what are the animals in each?

What are the ones represented in internal?

Ill start with those for now and we can go from there, if you dont mind.

B

Big/Famous Five are the same... tiger, crane, leopard, snake, dragon.

Some of the internal animals... bear, horse, phoenix, deer, monkey, chicken, bird, etc...

OP
KempoGuy06

KempoGuy06

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Big/Famous Five are the same... tiger, crane, leopard, snake, dragon.

Some of the internal animals... bear, horse, phoenix, deer, monkey, chicken, bird, etc...

Ok.

Are the represented in internal have significant meaings to them?

Ive heard something about there being 12 animals represented in some form and these animals are the same as the 12 in the zodiac calendar. Is this correct or not?

What are some of the stand alones?

I appreciate the help.

B

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ok.

Are the represented in internal have significant meaings to them?

Ive heard something about there being 12 animals represented in some form and these animals are the same as the 12 in the zodiac calendar. Is this correct or not?

What are some of the stand alones?

I appreciate the help.

B

Not sure about significant meaning since I don't play IMA any longer & didn't for that long anyways, but Xingyi & Xinyi as examples both use animals (12 & 10) & they don't match the zodiac exactly or that have a matching martial animal representation. There are some that are on the zodiac (horse, dragon, chicken, tiger [calendar & fu] ) and some that aren't (rat, crocodile, turtle [fu no calendar] ).

Stand alones would be styles like: Eagle Claw, Praying Mantis, Monkey, Black Tiger, White Crane, Dragon Shape, etc...

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Xingyi 12-animal (they can be translated slightly different. (there is also an older 10 animal form but I believe that is Shanxi style Xingyi)
dragon
tiger
monkey
horse,
alligator
cock
swallow
sparrow hawk
snake
Chinese ostrich
eagle
bear

Styles of Kung fu
Praying Mantis
Rat
Dragon
Snake
Dog
Monkey
Tiger
Eagle Claw

I have also read about Tai Bird, Chicken, Swallow

And Shaolin has animal forms as well.

List of Chinese martial arts
http://www.answers.com/topic/list-of-chinese-martial-arts

OP
KempoGuy06

KempoGuy06

Grandmaster
Reaction score
clfsean and Xue Sheng thanks alot. All very intersting. The website you gave Xue Sheng is very interesting as well. A lot of stuff on there that might be useful. Again i thank you.

B

Latest Discussions