A kem/npo sytem

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ok...so it seems like we have covered blocks and strikes. Lets move on to kicks. I'd say all of the kicks that we already have are pretty solid, the front, round, instep and side kicks. I think that we should keep the usual focus on the kicks, meaning that they all should really be no higher than chest level. Of course from a closer position, such as a clinch, knees and stomps also come into play.
Are these kicks insert or main move focused?

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are these kicks insert or main move focused?

My appologies, I'm not quite following you. Earlier we were discussing blocks and strikes to include into the system. The kicks I mentioned are also part of the system, to be used whenever applicable.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My appologies, I'm not quite following you. Earlier we were discussing blocks and strikes to include into the system. The kicks I mentioned are also part of the system, to be used whenever applicable.
Are they inserted into the minor, minor, major move sequence all are techs are based off of, or are you making Kicks into major moves. This is important, and kenpo schools fall into one of these two catagories; so, inserts or major on those kicks?
Sean

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Are they inserted into the minor, minor, major move sequence all are techs are based off of, or are you making Kicks into major moves. This is important, and kenpo schools fall into one of these two catagories; so, inserts or major on those kicks?
Sean

Well, we have major and minor blocks right? So why not have major and minor kicks? Depending on what you're goal is, would determine whether its a major or minor kick, no?

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I would go with a front kick, back kick, side kick, and a muay thai roundhouse (since where staying low), and an instep kick. I would get rid of any spinning, or jumping kicks.

Sounds good to me.:ultracool

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well, we have major and minor blocks right? So why not have major and minor kicks? Depending on what you're goal is, would determine whether its a major or minor kick, no?
No! you may have major blocks but I aint ever heard of a major block. Why would you culminate a tech with a block? Is that a "one block one deflection" mentality?
Sean

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
No! you may have major blocks but I aint ever heard of a major block.

:confused:

Why would you culminate a tech with a block? Is that a "one block one deflection" mentality?
Sean

I'm still not understanding what you're saying here. When you do Short 1, do you not include major/minor blocks?

Mike

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
So..where did we leave off on this discussion?

Mike

OP
Hand Sword

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Void (Where still, this merciless GOD torme
What kicks would be used, and/or which would be deleted.

I said keep the front, back, instep, and side thrust kicks. Also the muay thai round kick, since we were staying low. For me, gone were the jumping and spinning kicks. I would also do away with side blade kicks, too much of a chance to injure yourself.

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
I would be all for deleting the inside and outside cresent kicks.
They're anatomically weak, they place the knee joint at a leverage disadvantage in the delivery of force and they're not very swift/powerful.
Not to mention they tend to telegraph due to their very path of travel.

...so if we're eliminating any kicks, I'd put those on the chopping block first.

Your Brother
John

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
No, axe kicks are 'ok', but really not so useful. Useable, but not useful. Therefore they'd be worth knowing but not worth focusing on. In my way of thinking, there are better ways of doing what an axe kick accomplishes without first needing to raise your leg above a target before dropping it. I think this makes one very suseptible to PROBLEMS. but it's not a bad kick. It's not anatomically weak like the cresent kicks.

No, I'd not do the low cresent either, it's still anatomically weak.
I'd rather do a Thai type kick at that level/target anyway. STRONGER!!! Easier to deliver force and much better on the followthrough.

Your Brother
John

OP
Hand Sword

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sounds good to me. So, we got a Front kick, a back kick, a side thrust kick, a muay thai round house kick, and an instep kick.

We've excluded jumping kicks, spinning kicks, all crescent kicks, side blade kicks, and an axe kick (due to not being overly useful, and not being worth focussing on)

Anything else?

OP
Hand Sword

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'll assume you mean the "keep list"
icon7.gif

So that's front, back, and side thrust kicks kept. Instep kicks (to the groin), and muay thai round kicks kept also. The kicks will stay low, maybe the highest strike being to the gut. We've added knee strikes too.

Gone are crescent kicks of all types, jumping kicks, spinning kicks, and axe kicks.

How about hook kicks?

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'll assume you mean the "keep list"
icon7.gif

So that's front, back, and side thrust kicks kept. Instep kicks (to the groin), and muay thai round kicks kept also. The kicks will stay low, maybe the highest strike being to the gut. We've added knee strikes too.

Gone are crescent kicks of all types, jumping kicks, spinning kicks, and axe kicks.

How about hook kicks?

Yes, the knees are keepers. :)

Hooks aren't bad, again, as long as they're to the body. I was also thinking of an inner arch kick. Good in close strike which can go to the knee and rake down the shin to the instep.

RevIV

Black Belt
Reaction score
I have found many scenarios that i like the axe kick. When they are on the ground and you just drove a front ball into there ribs, and come back with the axe kick down. Also if getting rid of Crescents, what about a chinese heal kick--for a keeper-- It is a craned kick that drives down at an angle typically hitting right above the knees. for instance. Rt. chinese heel kick would land on the outside of a persons left knee or the inside of a persons right knee. great for close combat kicks. (even though that sounds like an oxymoron)
Jesse

OP
Hand Sword

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Alright. Since it wasn't decided to be done away with, rather less focussed on, I guess we can keep the axe kick, here and there
icon7.gif

As for the heel kicks, I like it. Kind of like a stomp. Sounds good to me.

Latest Discussions