A kem/npo sytem

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Void (Where still, this merciless GOD torme
Since of all us have very strong opinions about the Kem/npo sytems as a whole, as well as every detail that comprise each, let's be imaginative. We are all now Kem/npo Gods. We sit on top of our version of a kem/npo Mount Olympus. We All agree that we want to leave a serious Kem/npo legacy to the future martial artists. So, Let's create our Kem/npo style. I want specifics about EVERY detail we can think of. Nothing general liek "It's gotta be realistic". If that's your thought, fine, but be specific about realistic in what.. Hit every detail, strikes, kicks, blocks, and everything else in between. What is added, what is deleted, etc.. Let's start basic and build from there.

Ray

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Maybe we should back up and define what we mean by "kenpo," set forth the goals of our system.

For example: we could say that our kenpo is a self-defense technique based system or a master key based system. We could create and practice specific techniques that (we believe) get us to the goal of the system; we could focus on master keys and spontaneously going from one to another. Etc.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Since of all us have very strong opinions about the Kem/npo sytems as a whole, as well as every detail that comprise each, let's be imaginative. We are all now Kem/npo Gods. We sit on top of our version of a kem/npo Mount Olympus. We All agree that we want to leave a serious Kem/npo legacy to the future martial artists. So, Let's create our Kem/npo style. I want specifics about EVERY detail we can think of. Nothing general liek "It's gotta be realistic". If that's your thought, fine, but be specific about realistic in what.. Hit every detail, strikes, kicks, blocks, and everything else in between. What is added, what is deleted, etc.. Let's start basic and build from there.

Strikes, kicks and blocks: Overall, I feel that this area is pretty well covered, so I wouldn't change too much. Some things that I may add in would be some ideas/concepts from Boxing and the FMAs. This would include punching and footwork.

Weapons: I feel that the weapons work is pretty solid, but I'd include again, more input from the FMAs, such as Arnis, Kali, etc. IMHO, if someone really wants to understand the ins and outs of weapons, its good to look at an art in which that is a specialty.

Ground work: I would want to include some solid grappling skills. The goal is to defend yourself and escape with the best moves possible. Not so much as to roll around for 15 min. looking for a submission, but an escape that'll get you back to your feet.

fuhok

White Belt
Reaction score
What an awesome topic! One goal that I think is paramount is developing the fighting spirit. In many cases I have seen the contest go to the side that has decided that they want to win at all cost.

As an example: I was a wrestler in high school and on time my coach lined up all the wrestlers against the wall heaviest to lightest. He made me wrestle each person, for 30 seconds with no rest. If I remember correctly their were about twenty five people. Needless to say I was worn out when I got to the light weights. During tournaments if my sprit was lagging he would remind me that I have wrestled the entire team and held my own. If I could do that then it would be easy to wrestle one guy for 6 mins.

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
relaxation and proper body alignment, more concepts to develop power, internal training, deeper understanding of strike selection. in depth practice and study of formms and techniques. clearer articulation (maybe standardized) of concepts
still pretty general...but to write it out would be the work of a book

Monadnock

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Kempo systems are about as numerous as the grains of sand on a beach. Each one emphasizes what's important to the particular founder. I think Ed Parker did a pretty good job of laying out the basics, a good set of techniques, and of course a comprehensive collection of forms and sets.

My system would be modeled after just such an approach but where Parker stopped, I would continue. His system was based purely on a scientific approach to self defense. I would like to incorporate more of the Eastern thought he selectively removed. Concepts like ki, mushin and zanshin. I believe his written works included a bit about spirit, but I've never met a teacher who brought it up in class. I think spirit is important.

Thanks,

Danjo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Kenpo can be defined in part as technique/Combination/trick driven rather than kata driven. Usually involving high and low combinations mixing hand and foot strikes based on the autonomic reflex reactions of the nervous system. In other words, Kenpo flows and that is it's distinguishing characteristic IMO.

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
My system would be modeled after just such an approach but where Parker stopped, I would continue. His system was based purely on a scientific approach to self defense. I would like to incorporate more of the Eastern thought he selectively removed.

I don't understand, would you continue moving away from eastern mysticism towards scientific approach, or would you incorporate them back in???

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
One thing I would add is a thorough study of the ATTACKS:
What are common and what are uncommon methods of attack
state of mind behind each attack (trying to intimidate, flee, kill...)
how to properly perform each attack in training (at different intensities and speeds)

Related then is the training to respond to techniques. Since we can't be eliciting real body responses with every repitition of technique, each student will need to be able to simulate the proper responses.

It would be important that there is a significant amount of time spent practicing WITH enough contact/intensity to get proper reponses from the attacker partner. This benefits both students... but to practice this way all the time is not practical or efficient.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kempo systems are about as numerous as the grains of sand on a beach. Each one emphasizes what's important to the particular founder. I think Ed Parker did a pretty good job of laying out the basics, a good set of techniques, and of course a comprehensive collection of forms and sets.

My system would be modeled after just such an approach but where Parker stopped, I would continue. His system was based purely on a scientific approach to self defense. I would like to incorporate more of the Eastern thought he selectively removed. Concepts like ki, mushin and zanshin. I believe his written works included a bit about spirit, but I've never met a teacher who brought it up in class. I think spirit is important.

Thanks,
I felt getting rid of Eastern thought was an improvement.
Sean

Sigung86

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Stances. Movement to all corners from the stances, chewing gum. Once you have the base, and the basics of motion, the rest would fall into place a lot more easily.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score

Mushin and Zanshin are taught, they just aren't taught by those names. Every good martial art teaches those. Ki, well, I prefer my kenpo to be a little more scientific than that.

To quote Han: "Kid, I've flown from one side of this galaxy to the other, and I've seen a lot of strange stuff. But I've never seen anything to make me believe that there's one all-powerful Force controlling everything. There's no mystical energy field that controls MY destiny."
:)

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Attention to conditioning and fitness.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Which style of kempo are you referring to that teaches them, and by what names?

If I tell you to train yourself to not anticipate and to move in the moment that is mushin. I may not use the term, but it is the same thing.

If I tell you that you should train yourself to be at Condition yellow (Cooper color codes), that is zanshin, ready alertness with no focus.

I've seen this in Tracy's Kenpo and Kajukenbo and JKD and firearms defensive tactics.

Lamont

Latest Discussions