9 Ingredients to avoid in processed foods

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You'd be hard pressed to buy anything boxed or bagged without, at least, 1-3 of those ingredients.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Aye, a sad truth, Egg :(. Oh for a return to the days when 'fast food' meant me getting back from school and filling my face from my dads garden and greenhouse.

Peas, beans and tomatoes straight off the plant or radishes right out of the ground are tastes that stay with you forever.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
They really don't go into much scientific detail, regarding the alleged reasons why you should avoid them. If they did, then they would recommend you taking their suggestions with a few grains of salt.

For example, the alleged cancer link to the artificial sweetener, saccharin, isn't really a concern. The only way they were able to induce cancer in lab animals, namely mice and rats, were to give them doses of saccharine that were orders of magnitude greater than the *human* dose. Given such a small body, and such a ridiculous infusion, something is bound to happen.

Why, if I gave a lab mouse 10 times the normal human dose of a certain every day substance, and that the administration of such a dose would certainly kill them, how would the public react if they were given no further facts? Now, let's suppose that I told them that I had been giving rats 80 ounces of water (ten times the human consumption dose of 8 ounces) in a single setting, and that every rat died from bursting? Hmm...

Or, for example, the assertion that Aspartame causes the body to produce methanol, which is converted to the hazardous substance formaldehyde, etc., is another such bit of FUD. Yes, the human body does produce a bit of methanol from the consumption of Aspartame. However your body's going to produce more methanol from your consumption of a banana, than you would drinking several liters of Diet Coke.

There's nothing wrong with the above additives, as long as you use them in moderation.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Aspartame burns holes in your brain. Sucralose fubars your kidneys. The saccharin--cancer connection is up for debate these days. Either way though, 3 bad things, fasttracked through the FDA by special interests, 3 things to avoid.

I'll stick to real sugar in moderation, stevia when I can and no HFCS if I can avoid it.

I also try to avoid too much rat droppings, bug parts and metal shavings in my soup. :D

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
They really don't go into much scientific detail, regarding the alleged reasons why you should avoid them. If they did, then they would recommend you taking their suggestions with a few grains of salt.

For example, the alleged cancer link to the artificial sweetener, saccharin, isn't really a concern. The only way they were able to induce cancer in lab animals, namely mice and rats, were to give them doses of saccharine that were orders of magnitude greater than the *human* dose. Given such a small body, and such a ridiculous infusion, something is bound to happen.

Why, if I gave a lab mouse 10 times the normal human dose of a certain every day substance, and that the administration of such a dose would certainly kill them, how would the public react if they were given no further facts? Now, let's suppose that I told them that I had been giving rats 80 ounces of water (ten times the human consumption dose of 8 ounces) in a single setting, and that every rat died from bursting? Hmm...

Or, for example, the assertion that Aspartame causes the body to produce methanol, which is converted to the hazardous substance formaldehyde, etc., is another such bit of FUD. Yes, the human body does produce a bit of methanol from the consumption of Aspartame. However your body's going to produce more methanol from your consumption of a banana, than you would drinking several liters of Diet Coke.

There's nothing wrong with the above additives, as long as you use them in moderation.

Won't argue any of that, all I will say is Red Dye 40 gives my youngest a horrible rash that is incredibly itchy and if I drink anything with Aspartame whenever I lay down I get incredibly dizzy. Red Dye 40 by the way is in just about everything (not just red stuff) and it is in a WHOLE lot of food targeted at kids and there are a lot of kids that have problems with it

We have an awful lot in our food that we do not need.... BPA anyone.

Latest Discussions