80's Ninja Craze?

sojobow

Purple Belt
Reaction score
old sojo was in College and running business in the 80's and somehow missed the "Ninja Craze." Tell me what happened. What is this "80's Ninja Craze?" Describe some events that took place.

Thanx. sojo

phlaw

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Alot of really col (Cheesy!) Ninja movies came out:

American Ninja 1,2,3
Ninja 3 The Domination (Female Ninja)

The Master TV Series with Lee Van Cleef and Timothy Van Pattan and I think there was even a monthly publication called "Ninja".

A

AaronLucia

We can't forget the most important one of all...The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles!

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
sojobow said:
What is this "80's Ninja Craze?" Describe some events that took place.
Your "Hanshi" got his start, as a "ninjitsu" instructor, in large part due to the movie Bloodsport.

Jeff

TimoS

Master of Arts
Reaction score
sojobow said:
old sojo was in College and running business in the 80's and somehow missed the "Ninja Craze." Tell me what happened. What is this "80's Ninja Craze?" Describe some events that took place.

Interesting that you "missed" the Ninja craze when the whole dux ryu "ninjitsu" :rolleyes: is a direct product of it :uhyeah:

hardheadjarhead

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ninjas in the movies. And then more ninjas in the movies. Chuck Norris played a ninja, even. Ninjas on the covers of magazines. Ninja books started coming out. Ninja videos. Later we had Mutant Ninja Turtles.

Nowadays people think the only way a ninja can move from point A to point B is via a cartwheel.

People who never really studied ninjutsu started marketing their art as ninjutsu. People started asking me if I taught "ninja" (thinking it the art, rather than an individual).

Throwing stars became popular, and then were promptly outlawed in some states like Indiana. You can own a .45 or an Ar-15 in Indiana...and can carry them openly...but its a misdemeanor to carry a throwing star.

Had a guy come into a school I taught at...this was 1982...and claim he was a black belt in ninjutsu. I asked him where he got his belt, he said "China." I called him on that...he amended it by saying "China, Korea, Japan...it was one of those places."

Regards,

Steve

Enson

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
hardheadjarhead said:
he amended it by saying "China, Korea, Japan...it was one of those places."

Regards,

Steve
did he ever mention russia?;) aw man i had too!:lol:

phlaw

Purple Belt
Reaction score
The Ninja Turtles actually came out in 1990, so that was the end result of the 80's Ninja craze.

TimoS

Master of Arts
Reaction score
phlaw said:
The Ninja Turtles actually came out in 1990, so that was the end result of the 80's Ninja craze.

The movie, yes, but the cartoons on which the movie was based were from the 80's. The episode list can be found here

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It seems that you couldn't pick up a MA magazine without pages and pages of
Ninja stuff for sale..I cannot count the number of a**ho**s that came into the bar that I worked at as a bouncer carrying black throwing stars in the handy "ninja" carrying case..There was one who came in wearing one on a chain around his neck for easy access in case he was threatened and need a weapon.

M

MisterMike

TimoS said:
The movie, yes, but the cartoons on which the movie was based were from the 80's. The episode list can be found here

I think the comic book even pre-dates the cartoons.

TimoS

Master of Arts
Reaction score
MisterMike said:

Well, you learn something every day :) I honestly didn't even know there were comic books about them

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
I still remember the "Ninja Cops team" episode of CHIPS (Eric Estrada is my HERO) where they were putting out feelers for a "ninja" spin off.

It was PATHETIC! One guy actually used extending batons and did siniwali patterns ala Inosanto/Imada West coast Stunt choreagraphy stuff.

The idea that they used intelligence gathering, espionage and such and not just walked around in black pajamas was a good point, but it was very sad.

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
TimoS said:
What was that ? Sounds a bit like Batman's Batbelt :ultracool

Pretty much, yeah. Except it also had an obligatory shuriken pouch...

Jeff

M

MisterMike

TimoS said:
Well, you learn something every day :) I honestly didn't even know there were comic books about them

Yea, my friend used to read them back in '85 or '86. The first ones are actually worth quite a bit. Then they got really cheesy when Marvel or someone took them over. Then the toons came out.

I'll stick with Lone Wolf and Cub. :)

Feisty Mouse

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
hardheadjarhead said:
Ninjas in the movies. And then more ninjas in the movies. Chuck Norris played a ninja, even. Ninjas on the covers of magazines. Ninja books started coming out. Ninja videos. Later we had Mutant Ninja Turtles.

Nowadays people think the only way a ninja can move from point A to point B is via a cartwheel.

People who never really studied ninjutsu started marketing their art as ninjutsu. People started asking me if I taught "ninja" (thinking it the art, rather than an individual).

Throwing stars became popular, and then were promptly outlawed in some states like Indiana. You can own a .45 or an Ar-15 in Indiana...and can carry them openly...but its a misdemeanor to carry a throwing star.

Had a guy come into a school I taught at...this was 1982...and claim he was a black belt in ninjutsu. I asked him where he got his belt, he said "China." I called him on that...he amended it by saying "China, Korea, Japan...it was one of those places."

Regards,

Steve
:rofl:

sigh! (wipes away tear)

That's priceless.

Ninja throwing star set = $200.00
Ninja utility belt = $150.00
Ninja-esque black silk pyjamas = $80.00
Knowing anything about ninjutsu = priceless

heretic888

Senior Master
Reaction score

Yup. The first issue of the original comic book series (they've had like five) was published in 1984. Unlike the later cartoons, it was actually rather 'grim-n-gritty', violent, and somewhat serious --- although, the concept itself was funny.

The creators actually did a tinge of research into the book, as well --- can't count the number of times I saw ichimonji no kamae being done by the characters (as opposed to the karate-esque movements of the cartoon and movies).

*shrugs* Oh, well. Laterz.

Latest Discussions