80s/90s martial arts movies

Sylo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I'm wanting to watch some cheesefest martial arts movies..

I've seen ALOT of them, but I know there are some I haven't seen..

can you guys name any 80s/90s martial arts movies you've seen? I'm not too interested in anything older. Something about the 80s and early to mid 90s.

David Weatherly

Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm wanting to watch some cheesefest martial arts movies..

I've seen ALOT of them, but I know there are some I haven't seen..

can you guys name any 80s/90s martial arts movies you've seen? I'm not too interested in anything older. Something about the 80s and early to mid 90s.

That's still a big time frame and a broad area. That period is filled with Chuck Norris, JC VanDamme and Steven Seagal in US flicks just for starters. Hong Kong was busy, Jackie Chan and Jet Li put out lots of material in this same time frame.
Can you narrow down what you'd like to see?

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If really chessy is what you're looking for, I can honestly recommend anything by Sho Kosugi. "Ninja 3: The Domination is my personal favorite.

I was the guy that looked for bad MA flicks in the video store. Former kickboxers thought they'd cash in so they'd make a flick. Dale "Apollo" Cook, Jerry Trimble, Keith Vitale (point fighter), Anthony "Amp" Elmore, & a bunch more. They were all terrible, & so awesome at the same time.

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
We have a local Chinese 99c store...they sell tons on DVD's with 2 movies on each. A lot of them are early 1980's, and I've found 3 Jackie Chan oldies among them.

Cheesy does not begin to adequately describe most of these, but at 50c a movie you are only killing brain cells and not your budget. Many of these are unintentionally funny and my kids love them.

They do compare favorably, however, with most of what's on American TV!

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Steven Seagal. Jake Hopper, in Belly of the Beast. By the Eyes of the Living Toad, there is nothing, nothing on earth cheesier than that. I'm not kidding: this is the truth—nothing is cheesier.

David Weatherly

Black Belt
Reaction score
Steven Seagal. Jake Hopper, in Belly of the Beast. By the Eyes of the Living Toad, there is nothing, nothing on earth cheesier than that. I'm not kidding: this is the truth—nothing is cheesier.

One word:

Gymkata

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Void (Where still, this merciless GOD torme
I still love Big trouble in Little China-lol "You know what Jack Burton says at a time like this?" (bad guy) "Who?" "Jack Burton! Me!"
icon10.gif

OP
Sylo

Sylo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
How about I give you a rough idea of what I have seen..

Gymkata (I want to own this.. this was a staple of mine growing up.)
BloodSport 1-4? I think there's 4.. whichever has daniel berndhart in it.
Kickboxer 1-5
Only the Strong
Karate Kid 1-2-3
Best of the Best 1-2-3
Ninja Turtles 1-2-3
American Ninja 1-2
Missing in Action 1-2-3
the Octagon
Lonewolf Mcquade
Superfights
King of the Kickboxers
No Retreat No Surrender 1-2
Shootfighter 1-2
American Kickboxer
Savate
The Quest
Double Impact
Cyborg
Kickfighter
Martial Law
Perfect Weapon

so...

we've got..

JeaN Claude, Richard Norton, Jeff Speakman, Keith Vitale, Benny The Jet, Jeff Wincott, Cynthia Rothrock, Chuck Norris, Michael Dudikoff, Daniel Berndhart, Mark Dacascos, Sasha Mitchell, Jerry Trimble, Brandon Gaines.

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
the last dragon is, in my humble opinion, simply the finest blaxploitation kung fu movie produced in 1987.

jf

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
"i was thinking you could be my bodyguard...you know, you could...guard my body..."

ah, vanity.

jf

Ironcrane

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I've been trying to find the movie American Shaolin. No one seems to have it anywhere. Oh well, my dvd player broke yesterday. So no movies for me for awhile.

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
good sir, i challenge you to name a better one!

jf

Latest Discussions