80s/90s martial arts movies

KempoGuy06

Grandmaster
Reaction score
How about I give you a rough idea of what I have seen..

Gymkata (I want to own this.. this was a staple of mine growing up.)
BloodSport 1-4? I think there's 4.. whichever has daniel berndhart in it.
Kickboxer 1-5
Only the Strong
Karate Kid 1-2-3
Best of the Best 1-2-3
Ninja Turtles 1-2-3
American Ninja 1-2
Missing in Action 1-2-3
the Octagon
Lonewolf Mcquade
Superfights
King of the Kickboxers
No Retreat No Surrender 1-2
Shootfighter 1-2
American Kickboxer
Savate
The Quest
Double Impact
Cyborg
Kickfighter
Martial Law
Perfect Weapon

so...

we've got..

JeaN Claude, Richard Norton, Jeff Speakman, Keith Vitale, Benny The Jet, Jeff Wincott, Cynthia Rothrock, Chuck Norris, Michael Dudikoff, Daniel Berndhart, Mark Dacascos, Sasha Mitchell, Jerry Trimble, Brandon Gaines.

there is more than one of those? I remember the 1st one (only one i knew about) where they fought against Korea and James Earl Jones was the coach

B

OP
Sylo

Sylo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
there is more than one of those? I remember the 1st one (only one i knew about) where they fought against Korea and James Earl Jones was the coach

B

there are 4 I believe. I have yet to see the 4th one.

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
JeaN Claude, Richard Norton, Jeff Speakman, Keith Vitale, Benny The Jet, Jeff Wincott, Cynthia Rothrock, Chuck Norris, Michael Dudikoff, Daniel Berndhart, Mark Dacascos, Sasha Mitchell, Jerry Trimble, Brandon Gaines.

I'm partial to Gary Daniels and Oliver Gruner in that vein (and maybe some Don "The Dragon" Wilson) but to be honest that opens up *so much* I've seen dozens and most aren't that memorable enough to recall enough to write out a list.

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
Stephan Bonnar's new film ought to fit the bill too once it comes out. (Even though it's out of period.)

Last edited by a moderator:

myusername

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I had to watch Best of the Best again last night thanks to reading this thread! Tonight it will either be Bloodsport, The Karate Kid or The Kickboxer! You guys are a bad influence!

OP
Sylo

Sylo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I had to watch Best of the Best again last night thanks to reading this thread! Tonight it will either be Bloodsport, The Karate Kid or The Kickboxer! You guys are a bad influence!

Go with Kickboxer.

myusername

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Go with Kickboxer.

LOL, yeah I might just do that. I will be in the right mood for it after my TKD class tonight, especially if it turns out to be a sparring orientated session!

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
My all time favorite movie is Showdown in Little Tokyo 1991.

Its cheesy. Its unbelievable. Its over the top. Its loaded with one liners. And its a quadrupple threat: Dolph Lundgren, Brandon Lee, Cary Hiroyuki Tagawa, and Tia Carrere. If that isn't enought, Toshishiro Obata and Simon Rhee appear in this film as well.

Anyhow, even though it is 1991, it is definitely in the over the top eighties martial arts action film idiom. Lee and Lundgren are fantastic.

Here's a trivia quote from IMDB:

All of the swords used in the film were replicas, with the exception of the one used by Dolph Lundgren's character when he slices through bundles of bamboo: this was an authentic samurai sword.

Yes, Lundgren does perform tameshigiri with a katana in the movie.

Daniel

just2kicku

Black Belt
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey, what about "They call me Bruce" or Rapid Fire with Brandon Lee. Went to the local drug store the other nite and found the chinese connection for a $1.00 also picked up a five pack of some stuff from hong kong for $20.00. Wife hates when I watch those.
" your gung fu is good, but my iron palm buddah fist black dragon will defeat you"

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Steven Seagal. Jake Hopper, in Belly of the Beast. By the Eyes of the Living Toad, there is nothing, nothing on earth cheesier than that. I'm not kidding: this is the truth—nothing is cheesier.

I haven't seen Belly of the Beast, but his Exit Wounds from about 2000 or so was really really really really really godawful.

David Weatherly

Black Belt
Reaction score
I haven't seen Belly of the Beast, but his Exit Wounds from about 2000 or so was really really really really really godawful.

You're right they've gotten really bad and they often only show him from about mid chest up because of weight gain.

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

You're right they've gotten really bad and they often only show him from about mid chest up because of weight gain.

He was actually quite good in Under Siege 2: Dark Territories, and in Out for Justice he pretty much outdid himself (I know that doesn't amount to extraordinary praise, but still... :rolleyes:). But those films were made in 1995 and 1991 respectively. Something happened to SS... he just doesn't seem able to do anything that even comes up to the level of mediocrity anymore. If Exit Wounds was worse than Belly of the Beast, it had to have been godawful to the point of being off the scale!

David Weatherly

Black Belt
Reaction score
He was actually quite good in Under Siege 2: Dark Territories, and in Out for Justice he pretty much outdid himself (I know that doesn't amount to extraordinary praise, but still... :rolleyes:). But those films were made in 1995 and 1991 respectively. Something happened to SS... he just doesn't seem able to do anything that even comes up to the level of mediocrity anymore. If Exit Wounds was worse than Belly of the Beast, it had to have been godawful to the point of being off the scale!

Actually, I think that Exit Wounds was his last decent movie but it had a strong supporting cast. DMX, Michael Jai White Tom Arnold and Eva Mendes to name a few. The story is that the director of the film put Seagal on slimfast and helped him pull off a lot of weight. The film's from the period when Rap stars and martial arts were mixing on screen. Think Romeo Must Die. So if you don't like that flavor then you're not going to enjoy the movie.

Latest Discussions